Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor won't go past ASUS screen but PC does

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kabo0m

Kabo0m

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:38 PM

Monitor won't go past ASUS screen but PC does (I can hear the Windows start up and load everything just fine. It is just the monitor stuck at the acer word).

I have done the following to figure out what is wrong:

1. Turned off my computer and disconnected my Acer AL1916w LCD monitor. Took a spare 4:3 LG monitor and hooked that up.

2. Computer boots into Windows no problem but this time I can see it all on the screen like it is supposed to.

3. Does this mean the ACER monitor died? I am using the VGA cord in this smaller LG  monitor for the time being to type this. With Acer however the acer logo is still there (it still has the power cord plugged in only). If I turned that monitor off and back on it still shows the acer logo.

DESKTOP - Main Rig:   Passmark & Mobo  (Manual) &  my Speccy (Video card is Radeon 7770) & 4Gb DDR2 RAM
NETBOOK:   PC: Acer Aspire ONE (D250 10.1")    //   CPU: Intel® Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz   RAM: 2.0 GB  DDR2
Video Card: Intel® GMA 950 (256Mb)     OS:   Windows 7 Starter 32-bit SP1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:30 AM

Does this mean the ACER monitor died?

Pretty much. The splash screen is displayed while the control microprocessor is booting up, if it freezes with that screen displayed then it is not able to complete booting up. There's a small chance that symptom can be caused by bad electrolytic capacitors in the power supply. If it is a model that uses an external power brick, then the capacitors in it can go bad - if you can borrow a good power supply of the correct rating to substitute, you can see if the monitor itself then works OK, if it did, just replace the power brick.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,161 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:08 AM

To add to the sage advice offered by Platypus, if you're handy with a soldering iron and the monitor does not have an external power supply you could take a look at its internal PCB to see if there are any blown capacitors and replace same if it's easy to remove the shell on the monitor.

Most of the capacitors used in displays these days look like small "cans" usually with a circle with three lines (much like the Mercedes-Benz logo) impressed in the top.  They should be flat.  If you see a "fat capacitor" or one with the top domed you can pretty much be assured that it's blown.

I've never done this repair for a monitor but I have on a Visio plasma TV.

Edited by britechguy, 27 July 2017 - 11:09 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 Kabo0m

Kabo0m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:06 PM

Thank you guys. This is very informative and helpful. My computer friend who gave me this used monitor is frustrated with me saying I go through monitors like crazy (I have them always on as I have my computer always on and fall asleep watching movies when I go to bed even).  At least I can give him this information on how to see if he can fix it. Thanks.

DESKTOP - Main Rig:   Passmark & Mobo  (Manual) &  my Speccy (Video card is Radeon 7770) & 4Gb DDR2 RAM
NETBOOK:   PC: Acer Aspire ONE (D250 10.1")    //   CPU: Intel® Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz   RAM: 2.0 GB  DDR2
Video Card: Intel® GMA 950 (256Mb)     OS:   Windows 7 Starter 32-bit SP1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users