Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to take a chance on downloading free software. Need option to delete.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 harryhh

harryhh

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:58 PM

Windows 10

Hello Folks,

I want to download some free financial software, HomeBank, but I am leery of what might come with it. I would like to be able to delete any files that it might install. Even hidden ones.

Can I do something like use windows file search to locate any files installed within the few minutes of the install process, then delete them? Sounds easy, but I think I tried this once and it didn't work well. Not sure about that.

Is there some way to completely delete all files installed during an install process?

Maybe I need to do something before the installation starts that will enable me to delete the stuff within minutes of the installation, or perhaps the next day when I find that I don't want whatever the install did?

Harry

Can't keep up with the computer stuff anymore. It's getting beyond me.  :mellow:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:30 PM

If you install and have running Revo Uninstaller Pro (free trial) it will log all of the system changes as well as the installation, makes it easy to uninstall using the application.

Make sure to create a restore point before you install also. :)

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,086 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:38 PM

You could install UNCHECKY

""Unchecky will prevent & stop crapware, junkware, adware, spyware & bundled software from being installed on your  Windows PC by sneaky freeware.""

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 harryhh

harryhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:20 PM

Thanks folks.

Revo Uninstaller Pro sounds a little beefier, which I want.

I also found this 'Uninstall Tool.' I think it also cleans the Registry. What do you folks think of this program?

https://www.crystalidea.com/uninstall-tool/install-tracker-installation-monitor

Can't keep up with the computer stuff anymore. It's getting beyond me.  :mellow:

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:26 PM

I've not seen that before but it looks good. Source code is here as well...

https://github.com/crystalidea/uninstall-tool

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:18 PM

Doesn't look like it's open source anymore since there's a premium version. Also, I downloaded the source code .zip and there's only a README.md with a link to the Github repo which is empty as well.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:02 PM

I would go with the Revo uninstaller free edition. This is only because when your free trial runs out you can't use the software anymore and have to uninstall it and reinstall the free version. This was my experience anyway. I do love revo. I have heard the Unchecky that Condobloke recommended is good but it never worked for me. I guessing it's just because of conflicts with something else on my computer. The main thing is be careful where you download it from. Sites like softonic or cnet are guarantees there will be bloatware added to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users