Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Common problem. New post. 1 of 3 machines cannot access NAS

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 WacoJohn

WacoJohn

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:45 PM

Worked fine in the past.  Machine #1 W10-64 and Machine #3 W7-32 behave properly.  #2 W7-64 is the problem machine.

Unlike 1 and 3, i am challenged for credentials and I enter them correctly but they are rejected ... permisson problems;  see attachment.:

Attached File  Capture.PNG   50.35KB   0 downloads:

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit ... not using homegroup ... using workgroup if that matters,

Edited by WacoJohn, 26 July 2017 - 06:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:26 PM

You might have an machine authentication issue against the domain. Try removing and re-adding it.

#3 WacoJohn

WacoJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:45 PM

You might have an machine authentication issue against the domain. Try removing and re-adding it.

I have to assume I followed your recommendation.  Assume, because I was not sure how to "removing and re-adding it.".  Soo, I went to control panel/system and changed machine name ... no joy.  Changed workgroup name ... no joy.  Did this with all the required restarts.  Went back and put everything back to original.  No joy.  

THEN, I noticed and ran 'Network Wizard'.  That did something, because I now have a 5th network device ... one I have seen before, but not in a long while.  When I try to connect to it, I get an error 0x80070035 Network Path not found.   The device is BRN008077035.  

Back to the NAS problem ..... Still rejects credentials.  When I look at its properties for the only folder on the drive, I get a window "You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings).when I click on the SECURITY tab.  

Hope this info helps a little.  Thank you for your attention.  I am no network expert.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:09 PM

To remove from a workgroup you put the machine in a homegroup and then delete it's record from your domain controller.

After restarting you re-add to the workgroup, restart and then you will have a new security token.

#5 WacoJohn

WacoJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:49 PM

To remove from a workgroup you put the machine in a homegroup and then delete it's record from your domain controller.

After restarting you re-add to the workgroup, restart and then you will have a new security token.

Sorry, Sir.  This is a little over my head.  I have never used a homegroup.  I take it I create one ... on the problem machine.  Do not know how then to delete it as you say.  After restarting, I re-add to workgroup .... how then do I get rid of the homegroup?  As you can see, I am a bit confused.  Not up with some of the terminology.  Sorry.

Edit.  I attempted to create a homegroup on the problem machine, but it just 'hung' at 'creating a homegroup'.  Would not finish creating.  I had to cancel.

Edited by WacoJohn, 26 July 2017 - 10:55 PM.

#6 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:55 PM

Is the machine you are trying to access a windows computer? If this is a Windows based system then your SAM might have had a slight hiccup which happens from time to time. If your system is in a workgroup and not a full fledge Active Directory Domain with a Domain Controller. If this is a Windows Based System then it is a matter of resetting your login credentials on that machine. 

Edited by arlattimor, 26 July 2017 - 11:00 PM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#7 WacoJohn

WacoJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:57 PM

Is the machine you are trying to access a windows computer?

It is not a computer.  It is a hard drive connected to my router ... known as a NAS, ... I think.  All computers are versions of Windows.

#8 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:02 PM

I see this is an issue in the router itself. What kind of router do you have?

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:05 PM

Just by clicking on the homegroup button it gives you an opportunity to create a homegroup name, call it anything you like. It ceases to exist once you swap back to the domain as it is a locally controlled network.

I can see now where I'm also getting confused with my terminology. I was under the impression you were using a DC server when I saw in the pic you had a domain name.

I'm not sure how to remove an entry from a workgroup anyhow, only a DC'd domain.

This is something I encounter from time to time, but it's not the same network setup as me.

#10 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:09 PM

What kind of router do you have this external drive attached to?

A. Lattimore

#11 WacoJohn

WacoJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:09 PM

I see this is an issue in the router itself. What kind of router do you have?

I was afraid of that.  I had to call tech support to get help setting up the NAS on this router.  It is an ASUS RT-AC1900 (RT-AC68U) according to my notes.  The setup seems 'exotic'.  Had to create at least ONE FOLDER on the drive .... and that is what I am actually trying to connect to ... and it worked in the past on this computer and it DOES work on the other two computers.

#12 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:13 PM

Yes, this is tied to your router, my friend. Is the router still under warranty?

A. Lattimore

#13 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:17 PM

Has something recently changed, like a firmware update?

A. Lattimore

#14 WacoJohn

WacoJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:19 PM

Yes, this is tied to your router, my friend. Is the router still under warranty?

The router is provided by TMOBILE.  It is made by Asus, but known as a Tmobile CellSpot Router  It is provided free .... and I must return it if not needed or they bill me about $400.  With my notes, I could probably get into the router ... and maybe 'start from scratch'.  Or .. call Asus support.

#15 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:22 PM

Ok, what a minute? This is a router that is provided by T-Mobile? Does this router connect to their cellular network?

A. Lattimore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users