Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to find out if a picture is free to use?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:13 PM

Hey, is there a mechanism through which you can check if an image is free to use to your liking - for example, putting it on your website, printing it out, etc.?

I want to specifically look up this info for this picture, but would like to inform myself what is the general case in such situations as well.

Thanks. :)

0nazds1pynfy.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:31 PM

The basic position is that copyright exists in virtually every work of art, for a very wide definition of 'art', and belongs to someone or some organisation and to use a work of art produced by someone else you need at least their permission. If you intend using it commercially the copyright owner may be able to demand a fee.

If you are going to use an image like this on a web-site it would be at least courteous to ask the creator's permission before using it. For non-commercial purposes this may well be freely given. As an example, there are quite a lot of my photographs scattered around the web but in each case that I know about my permission was given and I get a credit for them.

In practice, given digital technology, it is virtually impossible to stop someone using your work if they want to, but asking permission and giving a credit will save you from the possible embarassment of getting a DCMA notice.

This is a topic which has been discussed at some length in two topics that I know of in the SpeakEasy section, see

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/607718/the-wrongs-of-copyright-also-patents-and-intellectual-property/

There may be more.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:02 PM

I see. Thank you!:)

One follow-up, if you don't mind, though - how do I find who is the maker of a piece of art, such as this photo, which is just randomly picked from a google search, without any metadata associated with it? If someone were to do this type of stuff professionally, what would be the procedure in such cases? I can't think of anything else at this point, besides using it and hoping that the artist would find you, so that you could give them credit. Do you know? Thanks once again.:thumbup2:

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:57 PM

Ah, I thought you had found it on a web-site devoted to showing off art. If there is no meta-data assoiciated with it and you cannot find the artist then i would just go ahead and use it. Just to cover yourself you might want to put in 'Artist unknown' or similar. A fairly small font - 8 to 10 point say - should not be too intrusive.

For some reason only one of the two links I posted last night posted. Here's the other -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/645618/copyright-abuse/

Chris Cosgrove

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:18 PM

tineye.com is an excellent reverse image search tool that can make it easier to try to track down who owns an image.

There are also others, including Google, that can do reverse image searches:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=reverse+image+search&t=hu&atb=v33-7__&ia=images

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:47 AM

Nice! Thank you, guys. Both methods worked - the picture appears to be made by a Reddit user CC6667. Thanks!:)

#7 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:06 PM

@Brian, thanks so much for posting the tineye.com source! I've often wondered how I would check a picture too.  :thumbup2:

#8 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:11 PM

I hope this helps - a flow chart for general reference -  click to magnify as you go -  :)

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/t_original/qxptplnxqtrhme965gal.jpg

#9 ashtorns

ashtorns

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:26 AM

I hope this helps - a flow chart for general reference -  click to magnify as you go -  :)

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/t_original/qxptplnxqtrhme965gal.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users