Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Incd Crashes My Computer

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 squiddly

squiddly

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:36 PM

Hi,
This is my second attempt at using INcD controlled device. This one is supposed to be a CD-RW/DVD COMBO. The title my computer gives in the device manager under properties is: LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-5236K. When I open the device manager from the hardware tab, when right-clicking my computer, it says I have a DVD/CD-ROM drive. It seems everywhere I look it refers to this device as a CD-ROM.

Here's what happens
1. With no NERO software disk or a previously formatted and installed data filled cd-rw disk the computer crashes to a quick 1 second blue screen of death, (so fast you can't read it, so what good is it) and will begin to reboot. If I do nothing this will cycle like this for an eternity.

2. If I leave the 2 items in the drive as stated in 1 above the computer will not crash. I will access the NERO software disk and the data filled disk with no problems. If I do nothing this will perform like this for an eternity.

3. At this point if I install a blank rw disk and try to perform format this disk one of 2 things will happen. It will crash the computer or will force windows expolorer into a not responding mode as seen in the task manager window.

4. If I remove the power connector from the back of the cd drive the computer will not crash either.

At this point I've done a defrag. Prior to this I've uninstalled INcD and the NERO suite software. I've done the uninstall from the add/remove programs from control panel.

I had some help from a third party which suggested that I do the following to no avail:

Download and run the incd clean util…

http://ww2.nero.com/nero6/enu/InCD_CleanTool.html

then download the 4.3. (use the following link)

ftp://ftp1.use.nero.com/InCD-4.3.23.2.exe

and if that doesn’t work try an updated NERO…here is the latest ver of nero express

ftp://ftp1.use.nero.com/Nero-6.6.1.4.exe

Here are the driver files. I don't know if this will help.

C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\INcDPass.sys
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\incdrm.sys
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
C:\Windows\system32\storprop.dll

file version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
This is under the driver details from the properties window.
Under the driver tab from the properties window I see the driver version is 5.1.2535.0
Under the general tab the device type says DVD/CD-ROM drive. The device status says that the device is working properly (what a joke).

Have I left anything out.

I'm very frustrated with this.
Please help.

Squiddly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:21 PM

1. With no NERO software disk or a previously formatted and installed data filled cd-rw disk the computer crashes to a quick 1 second blue screen of death, (so fast you can't read it, so what good is it) and will begin to reboot. If I do nothing this will cycle like this for an eternity.

Click Start.
Click Control Panel.
Click Performance and Maintenance.
Click System.
Click the Advanced tab.
In the Startup and Recovery box, click the Settings button.
In the System Failure box, uncheck Automatically restart.
Put a check in Write an event to the system log, and Send an administrative alert.
Click OK.
Reboot.

Next time, it should give you an error message (BSOD) instead of restarting.
Write it down, word for word, and post it here.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 squiddly

squiddly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:09 PM

Hi,
Here it is, (BSOD):

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is
identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check
with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video
adapters.

Check with your hardware vender for any BIOS updates. Disable
BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need
to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your
computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0x00000005, 0xFF8B33BC, 0xEF76281C, 0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory.
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further
assistance.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 05:56 AM

Does this XP installation include SP2?

Where did you get the version of Nero and InCD that's installed?
Did it come with your liteon writer or your computer?

If not - is it a retail version or did you borrow it from someone else who may have had a proprietary install version of Nero limited to their specific cd burner?

Did it ever work properly?

#5 squiddly

squiddly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:35 PM

xp does have sp2 on it.
I bought the cd-rom burner from a retail store. It came with the nero oem suite disk. This cd kit contains things for dos driver, nero express 6.6 and incd 4, driver manual, acrobat reader.

It did work properly when I originally bought it. I first had a problem with it when I thought that it was a "plug and play", I really don't know what that means when I here that a lot of stuff like this is supposed to be a plug and play and no one has problems. Anyway, I bring it back to the retailer and he says I need to download the software. I did, and things went smooth from there. This was back in February. Back then I was able to download about 25 cd-rw disks worth of data and once I started it. I never had a problem. The problem I'm having is resent. I wanted to again download some more data and in each case whenever I would try to format the cd or, and, this was by accident, I had not even logged into my system and approximately 5-6 minutes later it would crash. Without accessing the drive, the drive would spin up as if I had made some kind of action. Either to access some data on it or by downloading something to it. I find this to be strange because the drive for no reason should spin up at all unless I directly do something.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:07 PM

Try deleting the CD writer and all the software - Nero and InCD.
Reboot and let Windows find it and begin to install it - choose "I have CD" to install the drivers.

Then Install Nero again, and once that is successful install InCd.

#7 squiddly

squiddly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:15 PM

Hi,
I deleted the CD writer and uninstalled the nero and incd software. I rebooted and the system still recongnized that there was a cd device. I went into my computer and properties to initiate the wizard to install the driver. This is what the final window had to say:

Hardware Update Wizard

Cannot continue the hardware
update wizard

The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than
the software you currently have installed.

Choose waht you would like to do.

To keep the current software, click finish.
To search again in another location, click back.

Two other curious things:
1. I reconnected the old CD-R drive and the same thing happens.
2. There are times where, in windows explorer, the directory tree shows one of 3 things
a. DVD/CD-RW Drive (D:)
b. CD-R Drive (D:) or something similar
c. Auto format INcD drive (D:) or something similar.

A third which I just noticed. If I change disks it may not recognize that new disk. It is a previously filled data disk.

I'm going to have to send this now because by clicking on it now has hung it up. Task manager has reported that it is not responding. What's going to happen is that I'll end the task and the computer "is going" to crash.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:32 PM

Do you have Windows One Care installed?

There seems to be a conflict with Nero 7, InCd and Windows One Care.
https://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare...79&SiteID=2

#9 squiddly

squiddly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:38 PM

Where would I go to find out if I have it installed?

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:52 PM

Download and use the following ap to determine what software is installed on your computer (and what hardware too)

Everest Home Edition

Everest Home Edition (the successor of AIDA32) is a system information and benchmarking tool with full hardware & software information available as freeware for the individual user. It comes with a built-in hardware database and physical information for CPU, motherboard, hard disks, optical drives, chipset and much more. The information can be displayed on-screen, printed, or saved as a report in HTML or text format. The built in diagnostics module can help you find potential problems, by highlighting them in the report and also includes links to manufacturers web sites, driver updates and more. An easy to use report wizard allows you to create detailed reports in the format of your choice.

Get version 1.51 which is the last freeware version that includes the software module which lists all software installed on your computer and provides all the license key numbers – a great tool which has been deleted from all successive freeware versions.

Download here from the Utilities section:
http://www.oldversion.com

#11 squiddly

squiddly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:39 PM

I downloaded the everest home edition 1.51. That downloaded with no problem. It wouldn't do a scan because it detected that it was part of a corporate network, which it is.

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:41 PM

Try Belarc Advisor

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:41 AM

First, I'd suggest that you keep the corporate IT people informed about this. Some of the things that may need doing will impact them significantly!

Here's a free system info tool that doesn't require installation to run: http://www.gtopala.com/index.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 squiddly

squiddly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 03:18 PM

Hi,

I ran the "Primary Download (www.gtopala.com)" from the from this link http://www.gtopala.com/index.html. What's next?

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 05:58 PM

Look in the "Software" and see if you have Windows One Care installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users