Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Skype phone calls' voice quality?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:06 PM

Hey, is a regular Skype to Skype phone call with an HD voice quality? I've heard that if you have, for example, an iPhone 6 and you phone via Skype a friend of yours who also has an iPhone 6, since you are making the phone call via the Internet and using smartphones which support such microphones that employ HD voice, the phone call will be of much crispier voice and sound quality. Is this true? Do phone calls made via the Internet, through apps such as Skype, on modern HD voice-supporting smartphones, have much better quality in terms of sound?

Thank you! :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 26 July 2017 - 04:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:15 PM

What qualifies as "much better quality sound" is truly in the ears of the beholder and will be dictated, to a major extent, by the weakest link in the chain.

I have never heard a phone receiver or speaker come close to producing really, really good sound.  That's because they don't have to or need to.

While you might gain something, that something is highly unlikely to be earth-shatteringly (or ear-thrillingly) different than what you're accustomed to.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:39 PM

I understand. This whole notion was based off of a comment I read under a YouTube video once, stating that using HD voice was an entirely different experience and it was as if "the person you are talking to was standing right there". I guess it was all a fad.

I can't fully understand how come it would appear that every little gimmick is constantly advanced technologically, for example, cell phone selfie cameras, whereas so little effort is put into making the phone call quality better - the main feature. I suppose my wanting requires more effort as it involves both manufacturers, telecommunications companies and government to work together.

All I would like is for people to stop sounding like robots on the phone and for every call of mine to be done with involving the phrase "Come again?"...

Edited by Just_One_Question, 26 July 2017 - 04:39 PM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,860 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:50 PM

Well, I am doubting that you'll ever get your wish on conversations never including "Come again?"

Even if telephone sound reproduction were perfect we as humans do not come close to hearing everything when we're talking to one another.  We use our sight every bit as much as our ears and we "fill in" what we don't hear based on what we see coupled with the context of the conversation.  Human communication is something that generally took place face to face and, when it didn't, in writing.  We all know how easy it is for the written word to be taken in several different ways whereas if we'd heard the same thing spoken the meaning would be crystal clear.  Think how different the two word phrase, "She's beautiful," can sound depending on what you're trying to convey with it.

Phone conversations will always be absent the visual component that allows us to "fill in the blanks," and quite reliably, that we can do when we're face-to-face or even if we're watching video.

The amount of research on how we do linguistic processing in the absence of having all auditory information present fills volumes.

Let's not even get into how much background noise can compromise things during a phone call.

Edited by britechguy, 26 July 2017 - 04:51 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:11 PM

The easiest and FREE way to find an answer to your question is to install Skype and connect with someone else who has Skype.

You can purchase a phone number from Skype and for about $.09 call any other phone number. You can also purchase a year of

using the phone number and a year of calling for about $60.00. In the USA there would be no extra charge calling Canada and I think

Puerto Rico....

I've used Skype on a portable phone with owns modem for many years but Microsoft killed it this month. So, I am now using Skype on

Linux getting sound from my external speakers and a head set microphone hanging on a nail...works like a speaker phone. Excellent

voice quality on all setups.

EDIT: Meant to add that Skype on Macs and Linux are treated like step children. Works really well on Windows 10 phones, Windows OS and

Android. The most recent (last week) update for my Skype on Ubuntu caused a problem...can't answer a call fast enough and doesn't go to

voice mail like before the update. Maybe in another 3 or 4 years Microsoft will fix that...maybe not.

If you are not interested in purchasing a phone number then there are other programs that work well for voice and video messaging.

Edited by buddy215, 26 July 2017 - 05:23 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,860 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:31 PM

I've been using Google Hangouts almost since the moment of its inception and have phone numbers assigned to two of my Google accounts as well as that of my partner.

You can't beat free, and all calls within the US and Canada are.   I also love the fact that you can make calls to your Google Voice number (which integrates into Hangouts) ring through on any other phone number(s) you wish.

Edited by britechguy, 26 July 2017 - 05:31 PM.

~ Mark Twain

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:48 PM

Well, I am doubting that you'll ever get your wish on conversations never including "Come again?"

Even if telephone sound reproduction were perfect we as humans do not come close to hearing everything when we're talking to one another.  We use our sight every bit as much as our ears and we "fill in" what we don't hear based on what we see coupled with the context of the conversation. 

Thanks for the information, Brian. BTW, you don't have to tell me about the importance of visuals in communication. I've been made fun of a couple of times in my life due to my excessive use of gestures when talking, which I habituated because of the way I speak to my nearly-deaf grandmother - almost exclusively with hands. ...Kinda like apes and Tarzan, pointing at my mouth to ask if she's hungry or doing the hands clapped together next to your ear in order to find out if she wants to be put to bed, etc. :lmao:

Guys, is Internet on smartphones really this prevalent in the USA that you can be confident that the other party would pick up and not just be offline? My last experience with such apps was unfortunate. However, it was in the early days of Viber, around 2012. All I can remember was that half the people I tried to call were not connected to Wi-Fi or to the Internet otherwise on their smartphones and I could rarely initiate a phone call successfully. I eventually god fed up with the inconsistency of the app and uninstalled it, switching back to entirely 2G phone communication.

Edited by Just_One_Question, 26 July 2017 - 05:48 PM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,860 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:23 PM

There is probably not a single smartphone plan, including pay-as-you-go, that does not include 4G LTE data as a standard part of it these days.  In places where 4G is not available it's 3G when you're there.   I have been using Google Voice/Hangouts exclusively for over a year for my business phone number.  If I'm out of service it bounces directly to voicemail and I get an e-mail message with a transcription of the voicemail as well.  Since I'm generally in service area for phone and wireless internet and/or connected to WiFi it acts just as a cell phone does, for all practical intents and purposes.  And this allows me to have two (or more, I can switch between which Google Account is logged in under Hangouts) phone numbers directly accessible from a single device.

The family plan I'm part of used to include 10 GB of data per month, but right now all of the companies are racing to give unlimited data as an enticement and I think the plan is now unlimited.  I never came close to using 10 GB of data a month on the smartphone, and that includes when I've used Waze when traveling.  If I'm doing "serious internet browsing" it's going to be on a computer, where it's easier to see and much easier to type.

~ Mark Twain

#9 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:52 PM

Thank you. So, it seems that VoIP is taking/has taken over standard phone calls. I wonder will the mobile plans ever become solely composed of Internet data and no minutes, just like happened before with landline phones, where they slowly progressed into a different product outside the usual plan for those that are still clinging to this technology. The only drawback I could see as of right now is that both you and anyone you call must have the same app, but seeing how they all seem to have amassed 500+ million users, it would probably not be that big of a deal. I have recently made the jump from pre-paid mobile service to a monthly plan as well and even though it's the 2nd smallest in Bulgaria right now, at $6.60/month, it still has 200MB of Internet data at top speed per month. I don't know how many Skype, Google Hangouts or WhatsApp calls of medium length does that equal, but I'm sure it would at least allow me to test it out and form new impressions on VoIP. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 26 July 2017 - 07:54 PM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,860 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:07 PM

No, you don't have to have the same app.  I can call any landline or mobile phone in the United States and Canada at no cost.  Anything that has a US or Canadian phone number counts, so if someone has a Skype phone number I can call it.

I am constantly calling or texting people via Google Hangouts and I know that quite a number of them aren't using Google Hangouts on their end.  

There are scads of webpages discussing average data usage for VoIP.

~ Mark Twain

#11 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:24 PM

Thanks, I had a look at the numbers; they seem alright.

Google Hangouts is great! But I don't understand, so you are not required to add anyone in Google Hangouts and can just type in their number, ring them and, as long as they are online, no matter if they have installed Google Hangouts or not, they will receive the call and you will chit chat over the Internet? No regular mobile phone traffic used up at all? If yes, is this feature also mainstream on the other such popular apps or just a Google Hangouts exclusive? If that is the case, what is the point of free/cheap mobile talking minutes even - just having unlimited or close to that, such as your 10GB/month, data at top speed looks like is all that one could need in a cell phone. :)

Edit P.S. Okay, so I am definitely sure that I am mixing something up, since you said that you could call via Google Hangouts even landline numbers, but that couldn't be entirely carried over the Internet, as landlines are not necessarily associated with the Internet, right? Sorry, if I'm throwing you off with some stupid questions. It would appear I have missed on quite a few advancements on the VoIP scene.

Edited by Just_One_Question, 26 July 2017 - 08:36 PM.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,860 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:33 PM

VoIP is very seldom an "end-to-end" affair, particularly if you're calling landlines or mobile phones.  The whole architecture is set up to be able to hand off to the necessary provider to complete the call.

I don't think I've ever used an actual "Google Hangout" in Google Hangouts.  My traffic is almost entirely phone calls and text messages, with the very occasional MMS if I want to send a photo, for instance, and that's rare.

~ Mark Twain

#13 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:43 PM

Aha, I see. So, the whole conversation is like a handshake - one side is calling via the Internet and the other is answering via regular 2G mobile, connecting somewhere in the middle. The other person who you're calling doesn't even have to have Internet enabled in his plan or phone at all. And seeing how Internet is cheaper than mobile data, there's no use in employing anything but it. Heck, this is genius... I might just purchase a cheap smartphone again, solely for calls via IP. Thank you!:)

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,860 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:06 PM

What I find interesting is that while there has been a steady, and inexorable, movement toward "unlimited talk and text" while still limiting wireless data, most phones have added the feature to make calls (as in from your mobile number) over WiFi when you're connected to same.

This suggests to me that the USA is in the minority as far as endless talk minutes.  I don't need my calls placed over WiFi because the talk minutes are unlimited, but the phone will do so automatically.  What I've got to test one of these days is what happens if I'm using the actual mobile phone (not Hangouts) when I'm connected to WiFi but then lose the WiFi signal.  I don't know if it's smart enough and fast enough to switch it over to the cellular network "on the fly" or if the call would be dropped.

~ Mark Twain

#15 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:36 PM

I think it would be dropped, but who knows, some of these companies are worth tens, even hundreds, of billions of dollars; maybe they have put their money where your mouth is (get it, because it's a phone call that you make, lol) and have managed to develop it successfully. If you can during a call, you could disable Wi-Fi from the drop-down menu on Android and see if it works. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 26 July 2017 - 09:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users