Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to remove "Windows 10 ready to install" in windows update

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sugarwaffles

sugarwaffles

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:09 PM

When windows 10 free upgrade first came out, I mistakenly downloaded and installed it on my Windows 7 computer.  After realizing my Microsoft Office and several other programs would not work with this operating system, I immediately went back to windows 7. 

I changed the windows update to only download updates but I would need to authorize the installations so that automatic install would not happen again.  When I open up Windows Update, I keep getting the "your upgrade to Windows 10 is ready" screen and a button to restart now.  I do not want to restart because I dont want Windows 10.

Because of this holdup, other updates are not installing.  I have this program, System Mechanic, which is not working anymore since there are updates that need to run.  I'm afraid to do anything since I don't want Windows 10 loaded. I tried looking for the installed update to delete it but it's not there.  If I click on "check for updates" it wont look for updates because i haven't installed this windows 10.

I'm going out of my mind trying everything.  I've searched online how to get rid of this but to no avail.  Nothing is working!

I'm desperate.  Please help.  Attached is what I am trying to get rid of.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2017 - 02:17 PM.
Moved from W10 Spt to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:33 PM

Which version of Office do you have? There is no problem with any version of Office 2003 or above. You would have to have have an Office '98 or older to experience any real issues, although you could get it to work with a couple of tweaks.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:41 PM

Since you have already installed Window 7 use GWX control panel to fix the problem. Read the full web page.

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

Edit: You may also need to purge the Windows Update Cache.

http://ccm.net/faq/2471-how-to-purge-the-windows-update-cache

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 July 2017 - 02:45 PM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,471 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:54 PM

I don't know that GWX control panel will be of any assistance at the stage of the game this user finds herself in.  So far as I know it cannot stop something that's really "post-GWX" by the time it's telling you that you'll upgrade when you restart.

Sadly, and this is not to rub salt in the original poster's wound, this is another example of how turning Windows Update off or blocking updates can, and often does, backfire.  After the one-year free upgrade period was over one of the Windows Updates almost immediately afterward was to remove the GWX software and attendant nags.  The only reason this would not have been removed is if something had prevented the update necessary to do so to apply.

Were I the original poster, at this stage of the game I would make a full system image backup as the first order of business.  I'd then let this Windows 10 upgrade apply, as I doubt it can be stopped at this point in the process, then I'd immediately roll back to Windows 7 when it completes.  If the rollback doesn't work then restore from the system image backup.

I'd then promptly allow Windows Update to apply all updates that were not previously applied, since the one that removes GWX is clearly among them.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:10 PM

I believe it can remove that notice.

This is one of numerous ways that Windows 10 can hijack your Windows Update control panel. In this example, Windows Update is hiding the normal Windows 7 updates behind the "Show all available updates" link.

Upgrade%2Bto%2BWindows%2B10%2Bis%2Bready

The Prevent Windows 10 Upgrades feature fixes the "Your upgrade to Windows 10 is ready" problem in Windows Update. (Note, some users will have to follow this with Clear Windows Update Cache in order to fully resolve this issue.)

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,471 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:21 PM

It can't hurt for the OP to try it.  I'd love to hear a report back, because by the time this notice goes up the upgrade process is already partially (though very slightly partially) underway.

I'd still take a full system image if that option exists.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#7 sugarwaffles

sugarwaffles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:02 PM

Which version of Office do you have? There is no problem with any version of Office 2003 or above. You would have to have have an Office '98 or older to experience any real issues, although you could get it to work with a couple of tweaks.

I have Office 2013.  For some reason when I did it a while ago, it messed that up.  It may not do it anymore but since it was so long ago, I dont remember the exact error.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,471 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:24 PM

Office 2013 definitely works just fine under Windows 10.  And that's not to say that your original upgrade may not have "burped" in some way and screwed it up, as these things do happen.

I've got Office 2010 on my Windows 10 machines that runs without a hitch and several of my clients have Office 2013 running on theirs.

#9 sugarwaffles

sugarwaffles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:55 PM

Since you have already installed Window 7 use GWX control panel to fix the problem. Read the full web page.

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

Edit: You may also need to purge the Windows Update Cache.

http://ccm.net/faq/2471-how-to-purge-the-windows-update-cache

This worked!  I didnt need to purge the cache.  Very easy to do.

Thank you!

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,471 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:01 PM

Thanks for reporting back.  It's been so long since I was actively dealing with "I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10" issues that I had either forgotten, or never known, that GWX Control Panel could perform this function.

My guess is that you still have GWX on your system but if GWX Control Panel is active it will block it.  GWX itself should be removed in very short order if Windows Updates are allowed to apply.  I haven't seen GWX "in the wild" for a very long time now.

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:40 PM

I haven't seen GWX in the wild, but every few months I do see the KB2976978 (pre-GWX, compatibility tester) update offered as an optional/recommended one.

Yes, I'm back on this site, for a bit anyway. I have been so busy this last year I've hardly had time to visit at all.

Edited by rp88, 31 July 2017 - 04:40 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users