Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Pro Over Home Program Error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mechanimal

Mechanimal

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:27 PM

So the other day my laptop wouldn't boot up, and ever using every other resource, I eventually had to put Pro over, 'cause I needed it in the first place. But now I have all my old programs still on there (since it wasn't a clean format), and now some programs don't work. I'm not sure why this is happening at all. Some programs still choose to work. Winamp (for example) displays a lot of .dll errors, and then it ends up running anyways. Other programs choose not to work. Any ideas or reasons why..?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:29 PM

Without a more detailed explanation of exactly which programs, and what errors. My initial thought is file associations are broken. Meaning that what applications and dependencies were in place before are no longer in place. I would uninstall and reinstall those failed applications and programs to reestablish the file associations. This is just a thought with what information you have provided so far.

If you can give us more detailed information we can better asses the precise nature of the problem/s.

Be Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 15 September 2006 - 05:29 AM

You need to reinstall all your programs in your Pro installation. Although some will run when you click on their executable file their associations and settings will still be for your original os unless you delete them and reinstall them in Pro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users