Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Image and Back up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Saruman

Saruman

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:56 AM

When I try to make a System Image disk via Windows 7 I cannot because I am informed there isn't enough space. Would I therefore need to back up to HDD? There's 88 GB on the HDD at the moment.

Any tips greatly appreciated

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2017 - 05:59 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:19 AM

While I know next to nothing about using Windows' built-in backup/restore/clone program, I do know that EaseUS ToDo, AOMEI Backupper, Macrium Reflect, Image for Windows, or any other numerous 3rd party utilities will make full image backups of your whole hard-drive or your internal hard-drive's partitions or even folders and files (some but not all free utilities) onto any number of affordable, available, external media.

Edited by RolandJS, 26 July 2017 - 09:20 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:33 AM

You can't back up to the same drive Windows 7 is being imaged from unless it's to a separate partition. What are you using for a backup device?

#4 Saruman

Saruman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:37 PM

My back up media are standard Verbatim DVD-R with CPRM for data 4.7GB 16X which I number 1,2,3 etc.

The other option is an external HDD. I've already bought two of those so it seems odd to have to buy one just for a Systems Image back up.

I will try again and if it still won't work, I'll check the third party back up tools recommended. I also am considering whether to perform a disk defrag first.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:52 PM

Though I never had a problem with Windows own system imaging tool I would highly recommend you look at alternatives. Some of the free ones are

Macrium Reflect Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

Easeus Todo Backup Free 

All will let you create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive in order to recover the image from the USB external drive should the computer no longer boot. I also do not recommend using DVDs. There is too much of a chance one of the set could have a bad burn. Use a USB external hard drive.

Easeus and Aomei also allow you to do file/folder backups. All allow differential,incremental backups. They all let you easily mount the image to a virtual drive so any file can be copied out of the image. Saving multiple images is also easier with the above programs vs Microsoft's imager.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:33 PM

"...The other option is an external HDD. I've already bought two of those so it seems odd to have to buy one just for a Systems Image back up..."  Saruman

For some time now, I have two dedicated 1TB usb external platter-driven hard-drives for each of my three computers, I on the average have two Cs and two Ds on each of the two dedicated HDs per computer.

Awhile back, I had backup HD A for computer A, backup HD B for computer B; well, computer B's HD developed a logical failure which was fixed by a format, however, that format also eliminated the backups for said computer B.  From then on, it was either each HD would carry at least one C and one D from all the computers, or, better yet -- I decided on the two dedicated HDs per computer.

Edited by RolandJS, 27 July 2017 - 03:29 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 Saruman

Saruman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:50 AM

:huh:

Thank you...

Edited by Saruman, 27 July 2017 - 08:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users