Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finding Out The Host Of A Website

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stotic

Stotic

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:17 PM

Hey, I'm creating a website for a club at school. The existing website is outdated and the old webmaster has since graduated and ceased contact with everybody. The problem is, is that we need the domain name for the new website. Someone told me it was possible to contact the website's host and attain the address. Is this possible and if it is how do I find out the host of a website?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:36 PM

if im not mistaken you could go to a website where u register a domain, and if it is taken it should provide some information on who owns it, how long until they have to renew the domain name, and sometimes contact information, or you could always go to the website domain you want and see if there is a place where you can contact the webmaster/owner.
i hope that helps.
-ussr1943-
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:40 PM

Just to clarify, you can do a whois search on a site like DNS Stuff and find out who owns the name. From there y ou can try to contact the owner and see if they will turn over the rights to the name. If you are unable to make contct with the owner, you will have no choice but to wait until the time runs out, and try to get it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users