Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC disconnects repeatedly from network

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Leaf-4899

Leaf-4899

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:42 AM

Hello,
after suffering from malware at the end of last year there is one little issue left, that I just can't find a solution for: When I use the internet and data is being transferred, my PC will disconnect from the network in certain time intervals. Disconnects happen every one to ten minutes and last between three and fifteen seconds. Every time the computer connects or disconnects the CPU spikes and if I'm listening to audio I can hear that spike as a short distorted sound. Disconnects typically happen while streaming music or videos and while loading sites in the browser. Disconnects don't happen, when I don't use the internet. Oddly, disconnects also don't happen while playing online games. Another oddity is the "temporal fix" I found. Playing videos for three to six hours on Youtube or Twitch makes the disconnects disappear completely until the next time I'm logging into windows. I tested a Laptop on the same network and it didn't have any disconnects.
How I got the problem:
At the end of last year I changed some hardware in my computer, including my motherboard and my cpu. After that my old Windows 10 license did not apply to my computer and I had to purchase a new one. Since that was a pretty steep ask for a student, I foolishly tried to pirate it. That way I got infected and ran into the issues that I assume are typical for malware (ads everywhere and programs having trouble to work properly). I used Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to get rid of the problems and everything went back to normal except for the issue described above. I also found a cheap windows license that I purchased afterwards kicked myself for not finding that offer earlier. I used the new Hardware for a few days before I got infected and didn't notice any network problems until after the infection, so I don't think that it s a result of a hardware change. 
What I tried:
I tried everything that I could find on the internet that was suggested regarding similar problems. Since I did many of these things months ago, I retried everything that I'm describing here a few days ago.
I ran complete system scans with Avira Free Antivirus and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.  (I would like to post the reports as well but I don't see a way to attach text documents to the post and copy pasting the whole reports into this post seems inelegant.)
I tried a different ethernet-cable.
I reinstalled the driver for the network adapter.
I set a DNS server address for TCP/IPv4.
I tried continuouesly pinging the router.
I used the commands "netsh winsock reset catalog" "netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log" and "netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log". For the last two commands a reset seems to fail. This is what the console shows me after executing the commands:

"Resetting Compartment Forwarding, OK!
[...]
Resetting Resolve Neighbor, OK!
Resetting , OK!
Resetting , OK!
Resetting , OK!
Resetting , OK!
Resetting , failed.
Access is denied

Resetting , OK!
[...]"

Details about my Computer:
Processor: Intel Core i5-6600K CPu @ 3.50GHz
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. F2, 01-Sep-15
Mainboard: 
Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd.
Model: H170-D3HP-CF
Memory: 8GB DDR4
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Network adapter: Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V

Here is what I'm getting for the Windows IP Configuration

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Lennard-PC
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : multi.box

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : multi.box
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 40-8D-5C-56-7B-F9
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d542:1cf:e1c7:2b94%2(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.178.29(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 26, 2017 11:24:50 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, August 5, 2017 12:07:36 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.178.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.178.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 71339356
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-20-EC-11-E5-40-8D-5C-56-7B-F9
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.178.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

I would highly appreciate advice on how to proceed from here. Thank you for your time.

Edited by Leaf-4899, 26 July 2017 - 05:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Slurppa

Slurppa

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:21 AM

Hi Leaf-4899

Let us first try to rule out malware infections. Are you currently running pirated version of Windows?

:step1:

Emsisoft Emergency Kit

Please download Emsisoft Emergency Kit and save it to your desktop. Double click on the EmsisoftEmergencyKit file you downloaded to extract its contents and create a shortcut on the desktop. Leave all settings as they are and click the Extract button at the bottom. A folder named EEK will be created in the root of the drive (usually c:\).

• After extraction please double-click on the new Start Emsisoft Emergency Kit icon on your desktop.
  • The first time you launch it, Emsisoft Emergency Kit will recommend that you allow it to download updates. Please click Yes so that it downloads the latest database updates.
  • When update is complete, click Malware Scan. When asked if you want the scanner to scan for Potentially Unwanted Programs, click Yes. Emsisoft Emergency Kit will start scanning.
  • When the scan is completed click Quarantine selected objects. Note, this option is only available if malicious objects were detected during the scan.
  • When the threats have been quarantined, click the View report button in the lower-right corner, and the scan log will be opened in Notepad.
  • Please save the log in Notepad on your desktop and post the contents in your next reply.
  • When you close Emsisoft Emergency Kit, it will give you an option to sign up for a newsletter. This is optional, and is not necessary for the malware removal process.

:step2:

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files
  • List Restore Points

Click Go and post the result (MTB.txt). A copy of MTB.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users