Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Scan file type before backup

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Iwan45

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:25 PM

I'm making regular backup of my pictures on external hard drive with dedicated software (Cobian backup). I'm using incremential backup so that only modified pictures will be updated. In case of ransomware, I saw that one can crypt your picture WITHOUT changing file name / extension. So, if the file date is changed and the size, my backup tool maybe replace my good picture by the crypted one.

Although it would be good, I don't allow multiple copy of the picture (sorted by time) because of mess it is creating.

So my question is :

Is there a tool to scan my disk and check that all file are really picture. I think that, by scanning the header of a file, it's possible to know the real type, whatever the extension. In such case, I could search for all files that are not JPG. If I don't find any, my files are safe / clean and I can do the backup without concern

Hope it is clear and in the right forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users