Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do iPhones Die?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:51 PM

Hi. How long should an iPhone last? I've had mine since November 2014. It is an iPhone 6. I like it. I really don't want a 7 since I'd lose the earbud jack.

Recently, the phone shut down and would not power up. I know that it had more 95% battery charge. After some Google research I plugged it to a charger and rebooted holding the power and home key. Is this the first sign of its last days?

I hope this phone will last another year or two.

Thanks. for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:28 PM

I'll let someone else answer your question on the average lifespan of an iPhone (it's a tricky question to answer as it depends on how "lifespan" is defined), but I know someone who had their iPod touch miraculously shut down by itself a few times and then refuse to turn on again until the home and power buttons were both depressed (just like your case). This actually happened on the day right after purchase! He has had it now for over two years, and so far it's been functioning normally. So I really wouldn't be that worried about what happened. Furthermore (as you probably know), there have been hundreds of users complaining about the same issue, and it appears to be that very few (if any) have had their Apple device die right after that.

Regards,

bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:53 PM

Thanks, bwv848. I had not heard of the shut down issue. Does anyone know the cause?

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:26 PM

Maybe this could help - How long does the typical cell phone last in theory?

Usually you can easily and comfortably use an iPhone every day for around 5 years, all things accounted for. Get yourself a new one on Christmas 2019.:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 25 July 2017 - 05:27 PM.

#5 Occasional

Occasional

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:38 PM

Not an Apple person - so deferring to experts.

Family member still using iPhone 4s.  New insurance co employer is providing new iPhone, as 4s can't (side?)load their internal app.  

Also know models get deprecated, as they can't be upgraded to new(enough) OS versions.  Your iPhone may be face forced retirement before it dies.  

Did see recent BC article on "right to repair" which may interest you: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/government/eu-prepares-right-to-repair-legislation-to-fight-short-product-lifespans/ 

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:50 PM

Also know models get deprecated, as they can't be upgraded to new(enough) OS versions.

Currently the oldest iPhone to be fully up to date with iOS is the iPhone 5s which deputed in 2013 and is expected to be supported for another ~2 years. Apple is generally known to support their devices for longer than usual. For example, out of their whole historical iPhone line-up, ~40% of all iPhones that have ever existed are still fully updated iOS-wise and that figure doesn't include the Plus versions since iPhone 6. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 25 July 2017 - 07:54 PM.

#7 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:19 PM

As an addon,I have an iPhone 5S.. I as well have had the alarming experience when the phone turns off and I have a black screen. That just happened three weeks ago. The steps you took are the same I have learned to do. Like you, there remains the mystery for me not knowing why this happens. When I have reached out to Apple support, they have not been able to provide any concrete reason. The good news, although it's old, the phone keeps going!

Do you use iCloud as a backup? That is one step I make certain I do in the event that the phone will not turn on. You can laugh at this: as I'm older than dirt and take the worst case scenario approach that my phone will die and my computer will be stolen leaving me helpless without my contact list, I have my "must have" critical phone numbers written down in an old fashioned address book!  Who memorizes phone numbers anymore?

If you can, hold out for the iPhone 8!  :thumbup2:

#8 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:14 AM

Thanks all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users