Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Facebook forcing me to install Kaspersky scanner

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 korniceman3000

korniceman3000

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:33 PM

Hi everyone,

Hope you won't mind advising me on this problem I am having with Facebook. This morning, when I tried to access my facebook page via Chrome, I was denied after logging in. I received this message saying they needed to scan my device for malware.

TQfCHBn.png

I thought I was infected so I ran McAfee, MalwareBytes and both came up clean. I cleaned my browser cache, cookies, etc. I tried to login again and received the same message. I did not trust the post as I didn't know if this was really going to install an antivirus, whether this was a phishing scam, etc. I did some research and found many similar posts and complaints from users who had clean computers being hit by the same message who were locked out of facebook unless they installed either Kaspersky, Trendmicro or some other kind of web scanner. Many who did install it said the program stalled and never completed the scan and they could not get access to facebook and could not reach facebook staff for assistance and those that managed to reach assistance were given a brick wall answer. I found another site that explained in detail what had happened (http://jackyan.com/blog/2016/01/when-facebook-forces-you-to-download-their-anti-malware-your-own-antivirus-gets-knocked-out).

I was able to access and log into facebook via FireFox where I tried to ask people there for help. When I tried to explain to them that my computer was clean and tried to re-post this official link from facebook about their new security (https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-security/making-malware-cleanup-easier/10152050305685766), facebook issued me a temporary block until I removed the link. 

I am not sure what to do. I cannot access Facebook via Chrome as it will not allow until I donwload and run the Kaspersky scanner. Those who have done so  heavily warn against doing so as it messes up your computer and existing antivirus programs and you still do not regain access to facebook.

Please advise on what I might be able to do to resolve this issue. 

Thank you for your help, It is greatly appreciated.

Best regards and looking forward to your replies!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:11 PM

Well, I can appreciate your frustration. However, according to some articles, this is an ongoing thing for about 2 years as described in this link:

http://reverbpress.com/news/tech/facebook-malware-protection/

I do not use Facebook, even if I did, I would balk at them telling me what I had to download. I would not download any thing that I felt uncomfortable with and this certainly "fits that bill".

It would seem you have two choices.......do as they ask.........or ditch Facebook.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:30 PM

facebook malware - Am I infected? What do I do?

Looks like this has been going on for at least 2 years.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:53 PM

The tool is safe to run if that gives you any peace.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 korniceman3000

korniceman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:46 PM

It appears that many people in the other thread followed the same instructions and after scanning, it still failed to resolve the issue and they were still locked out of their facebook account. That and they can't seem to remove the web scanner and it activates every time you use your browser and prevents you from doing anything until scan completes which could take from a whole day to never completing.... Not sure what to do but downloading and running Kaspersky or any one of their scanners is not an option if I want to keep using for Chrome for everything else...

Plus I am absolutely certain I don't have any malware...

Edited by korniceman3000, 25 July 2017 - 03:47 PM.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,395 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:56 PM

Scan time varies based on computer's resources, size of data files and using the computer during scan.

You can close all programs, unplug external drives and allow the scan full use of the computer's resources.

Sometimes users get impatient or think the scan is finished when it hasn't and shut down the scan or the computer.

That could be responsible for so many complaints about still not being able to access their account and the

scan is still being asked for.

Edited by buddy215, 25 July 2017 - 04:00 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,395 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:03 PM

It would be a good idea to be sure the computer is not just using battery power during the scan in case the scan takes a long time.

#8 korniceman3000

korniceman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:08 PM

I can understand the impatience but many have scanned for an entire day only to have it frozen and unable to complete and a re-scan yields the same result. Also, this seems to be a random facebook selection and not because of an actual infection found by facebook. In fact there are a lot of completions that brought back zero infections, yet users still cannot access their accounts + they can't seem to remove the web scanner either.

This was probably the most detailed account I found with many users having similar circumstances.

http://jackyan.com/blog/2016/01/when-facebook-forces-you-to-download-their-anti-malware-your-own-antivirus-gets-knocked-out/

After reading this, I am extremely wary and not willing to risk affecting Chrome in a bad way. What's worse is this seems to have started sometime in 2012 and is still ongoing quietly.... However, in 2012, they seem to have the option of not installing. This is becoming a major concern for me because they randomly cripple accounts of people along with those who may/may not have a business linked to facebook...

http://www.cauce.org/2013/02/facebook-their-walled-garden-and-mcafee-anti-virus-what-really-happened.html
http://reverbpress.com/news/tech/facebook-malware-protection/

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,395 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:54 PM

From the web: Worldwide, there are over 1.94 billion monthly active Facebook users for March 2017 (Facebook MAUs) which is an 18 percent increase year over year.

For there to be at least one tenth of one percent of users complaing/ having a problem with the scans, there would be 1,940,000 complaints.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:10 PM

Try cleaning your cookies in Chrome.

HOW TO
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 korniceman3000

korniceman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:16 PM

Try cleaning your cookies in Chrome.

HOW TO

Unfortunately, that concept used to work until many people started doing so and it appears Facebook has done something different this time that prevents this from working. Emptying the cache, history, and cookies still didn't allow access via Chrome, IE, and Opera. Only via Firefox.

#12 DonaldoDD

DonaldoDD

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:19 PM

I fixed being locked out of my Facebook account because of "malware on this device, download our scanner etc etc". I'm using a PC so I don't know the steps for Mac or Linux. 

Also, this fix requires that you have previously backed up your Chrome Browser user profile (or other browser you were using before you were locked out). 

I attempted to unintstall/reinstall Chrome, "Reset" Chrome, etc. None of these worked for me. Below are the steps I took to regain access to my account using Chrome on a PC. 

1) Press the "Start/Win" key. 

2) Type %appdata%  (yes with the % sign).

3) Click up one folder. You should see the following folders "Local", "LocalLow", and "Roaming".

4) Open "Local" and find the folder named "Google". This is your user profile for Chrome.

5) Move it to the Desktop. There should now no longer be a "Google" folder in "Local".

6) Copy your Google Profile backup into "Local" and you should be good to go. 

7) When you attempt to login to Facebook, it will most likely offer you to recover your account. DO THIS!

8) After you've recovered your account, you should now be able to use Facebook on Chrome. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users