Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Macrium Reflect/Browser Restore Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:00 PM

I have a fairly recent Macrium Reflect system image,  I have never had a reason to use my image.

To the best of your knowledge and experience, will a system image restore return the Chrome browser from the date of the image?

Searching BC and my friend Google, I do not find any answers specific to my question, to include Macrium's user manual. 

(I've lost valuable bookmarks...long story. Unfortunately my exported bookmark html data is from May...lesson learned to keep that current! I have Chrome synced across all devices, thus all bookmarks are lost)

I'm reluctant to use the system image just for these bookmarks if the Chrome browser AppData default files aren't restored.

I sure appreciate any assistance  :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:49 PM

You don't need to restore the whole image to get your bookmarks. Attach the USB device that has the image you want and double click it. Macrium will ask you what drive letter to give the image and mount it. Explore the image for your Chrome bookmarks. You need to enable hidden files because App Data is a hidden folder.

Browse the image:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

There will be a file called Bookmarks. You will need to rename your bookmarks file on your computer's hard drive to Bookmarks.bak or you will overight it. If there is already a Bookmarks.bak in the default folder of your computer's hard drive then rename the bookmarks to something like Bookmarks.bk1

If you do not see Bookmarks in the Default folder you may have a Profile folder under User Data. Look there.

Copy the Bookmarks folder from the mounted image file to your computer's hard drive. After the copy you can detach or eject the virtual drive by right clicking it in computer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 July 2017 - 06:00 PM.

#3 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:50 PM

John, I'll begin my baby steps and follow your instructions! This is so new to me. I feel like a kindergarten student. I'll be back.

Thank you, Lisa

#4 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:33 PM

John: You're the best ever!!!  :flowers:  

Your detailed instructions worked, and I have my "life" back!  I learned something new from you today about using my image that I'll treasure. (And I did export a fresh bookmark html. file that will become part of my constant back ups and saved to a flash drive.)

animated-thank-you-image-0111.gif

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:53 PM

Your Welcome, glad you got it sorted and thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users