Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After an update, can't open all videos files

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 nbabe

nbabe

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:55 AM

Ok so a few days ago I had a window 10 update. Several components (printer, mouse etc) wouldnt work so I reverted back.

Since then none of my videos files will work or open I get an error message : windows cant find :(followed by the name of the file) then it says make sure you typed in the name correctly....

Obviously it is due to this update of hell. I guess since I reverted to previous version something happened to the links? the files are there: I see them. I click on them...but get always this message no matter waht.

I did a malware bytes this morning and nothing.

tried antivirus also on folder nothing: tried to recreate shortcut, nothing, tried to move it to C drive as I saw on internet nothing, so tried a few easy stuff with no solution.

Please help me fix this, my picture work. my documents work...

I attached the error message. tried different subfolder in this movie section but I always get this error message.

How to fix it? step by step appreciated !!! need it by tonight... help!

Edited by nbabe, 25 July 2017 - 12:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:53 AM

Suggestion;

Reinstall the updates - shut down - restart - try again

not everything gets loaded / updated after an update if you don't reboot [ long technical discussion deleted]

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 nbabe

nbabe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:14 PM

not a solution: took me 2 days to be able to revert to previous version before update because I had no mouse, no print and mnay more toold not working. I had to work around with only keyboard.

Today I realized that if I right click on any movie files and choose open with (I have 2 tools) then they open.

So I get this error message only if I double click on them directly..

any suggestion? other then to update (prefer to have a working computer then movies but it is pretty darn frustrating) I will reupdate in a month or so when I hope they fix their bugs

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:41 AM

Have you followed the steps here to set the default app?

https://www.howtogeek.com/223144/how-to-set-your-default-apps-in-windows-10/

#5 nbabe

nbabe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:44 PM

read it. not much help though... by default  for videos it is now twinui....which I have no clue what it is. IT used to be windows player but if I try to switch it it wont. music switch, internet switched but videos seems I cant change it.

I can right click on any movie file and open with any of the 3 players I have. its if I double click I get an error message. dont know why or how to fix that

Edited by nbabe, 27 July 2017 - 12:48 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:13 PM

Please do the following.

1. Press Windows and the R keys.

2. Copy and paste %appdata%\..\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState in the Run box.

3 .Delete all the contents of that folder.

Restart the computer and check to see if this issue persists.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,031 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

Twinui is a very common issue. See here

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=twinui&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&gws_rd=cr&ei=VC96WdLcIsjHwALhloy4Bw

#8 nbabe

nbabe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:24 PM

To DC3: no that didnt solve the problem 

opera:

I clicked on the link. tells me a bunch of people had the potential twinui problem but none on how to solve it...

#9 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,031 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:49 AM

To DC3: no that didnt solve the problem 

opera:

I clicked on the link. tells me a bunch of people had the potential twinui problem but none on how to solve it...

You have to read some of the links, time consuming I know, but sometimes you just have to do it :)

Did you try

'Choose default apps by file type"

Read page 2 of this thread

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/my-default-apps-have-been-substituted-by-twinui/db4bce68-c1e6-463f-b4f1-f735b5ecd012

#10 nbabe

nbabe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:19 AM

yes I read several including that one. I alrady am registered. still not working.

most say to change default, I already mentionned I tried but it wont work it shuts that page after I tried a switch and when I go back it is still using twinui.

I dont know if that it the reason I get now the error messages and it wont start on double click but if so nowhere does it say how to get rid of it.

Another unsuccessful try was to clean registry(1 option mentionned) and it didnt work either

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:30 AM

Bleeping Computer does not recommend the use of registry cleaners.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Credit for this goes to Quietman7, one of our Global Moderators.

Another option would be to do a Reset.  This will reinstall the operating system with the option to keep your personal files.  There is one drawback, this will uninstall all of your third party programs you installed.

1. Open the Start Menu and click/tap of Settings.

When Settings opens select Update & Security

2. Click/tap on Recovery, then Get Started.

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 nbabe

nbabe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:16 PM

yes no one here mentionned to do a registry clean. It was of the llink I was given to read. several mentionned that.

so twinui is non removal optional and if I understand the error message I copied on first post is maybe not due to the twin ui?

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:12 AM

Please do the Reset.

#14 nbabe

nbabe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:34 PM

if I cant find a solution that will be my last resort as I have over 20 software to reload so about 2-3 days of work

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:03 PM

What is the extension of the video files you are trying to open? 

Open regedit and browse to to following key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\<your extension name>

Under the extension name and any subkeys. Look for anything twinui and delete it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users