Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Image Error when launching Skype

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 purpawc50

purpawc50

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:16 AM

Hello,

This has been an issue for some time now, I want to say around a year or so, the error also pops up at random sometimes without saying the error is caused by Skype.

The error reads:

Skype.exe - Bad Image

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\pdh.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status 0xc000012f.

I'm running Windows 10 and I have no idea where to go from here.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:36 AM

Did you reinstall Skype?:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 25 July 2017 - 10:36 AM.

#3 purpawc50

purpawc50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:42 AM

Did you reinstall Skype? :)

Multiple times ever since the error started appearing.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,869 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:50 AM

This is an instance where, after uninstalling Skype the usual way, you might consider using something such as Revo Uninstaller to make sure that all traces of it are gone prior to reinstalling from a freshly downloaded copy.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 purpawc50

purpawc50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:57 AM

This is an instance where, after uninstalling Skype the usual way, you might consider using something such as Revo Uninstaller to make sure that all traces of it are gone prior to reinstalling from a freshly downloaded copy.

Just did that and got the exact same error.

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:57 AM

On your keyboard press the Windows key + R simultaneously. Then, type Cleanmgr. Then, press Enter. Then, press OK. Then, wait for the clean-up to finish. Then, restart your computer. Then, delete all the unnecessary programs and files that you don't need any longer and just clean your PC's software in general. Then, download, install and run Malwarebytes. Then, uninstall Malwarebytes. Then, download, install and run Avast. Then, delete Avast. Then, download, install and run AdwCleaner. Then, uninstall AdwCleaner. Then, go to My Computer. Then, go to C: drive. Then, go to Windows folder. Then, go to Prefetch folder. Then, delete everything in that folder. Then, clear your Recycle Bin. Then, download, install and run CCleaner. Then, uninstall CCleaner. Then, restart your computer. Then, on your keyboard press the Windows key + R simultaneously. Then, type in Msconfig. Then, press Enter. Then, click on Services. Then, tick on the bottom Hide all Microsoft services, so that it has a tick in the box. Then, click on Disable all. Then, click on Startup (on the right to Services). Then, click on disable all. Then, click on Apply. Then, restart your computer. Then, open up your computer's case if its out of warranty and is not a laptop and give it a good clean-up with the vacuum cleaner (carefully), a dry towel, some compressed air for the hard-to-reach spots, and maybe even changing the thermal paste on the CPU if that hadn't been done in years. Then, check if all the parts and connections in your computer are properly put in place. Then, start your computer. Then, if the problem persists, do a clean re-install of Windows 10. Then, the problem should no longer be there 100%. Good luck! :)

P.S. In Msconfig you can keep the ticks in the boxes next to the programs that you want to start up when you boot your computer, such as your antivirus, for example.

Edited by Just_One_Question, 25 July 2017 - 10:58 AM.

#7 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:24 AM

Sorry, but C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\pdh.dll is not a special Skype file but a Windows system file. It may be damaged or something else. Sometimes the file needs to be re-registered and it begins work correctly.

Recommendation - Check Windows files, fix if necessary.
Win Key + R => cmd.exe => Run as an administrator => sfc.exe /scannow
(You can also use Windows PowerShell as an administrator and do the same)

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,869 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:25 AM

One observation here, I see no reason to remove Malwarebytes, CCleaner, or AdwCleaner.  I routinely use the first two (but never the registry cleaner feature of CCleaner) and one may have occasion to run any one of these three again.  Their footprint is not large, by any means.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#9 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:11 PM

Yes, you can keep all of them if you want. Ever since the age of fast Internet and read/write speeds I tend to become a little spoiled and uninstall them after a successful scan, because I always know I can download and install them again in a matter of minutes. Plus, they require little to no tweaking (For example, the registry cleaner part of CCleaner is off by default, so a quick glance over it to make sure that it is not enabled before a scan is all that is needed).:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users