Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Windows 10] Daily Hangs/Black Screens

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Grawlix

Grawlix

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:16 AM

I've attached the Sysnative zip, and here's my speccy profile: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/YoAQcbuOQikVQnjrMqkJtfX

I've been having daily computer freezes now for over a year.  The screen freezes and moving or clicking my mouse causes error sounds.  After about 5-10 seconds, the screen refreshes and my computer begins responding again.  This usually only happens a couple times a day, so it wasn't a big problem until the Windows 10 Creators Update.  After the Creators Update released, the games I like to play (Overwatch and Hearthstone, but not World of Warcraft) remain frozen after my computer unfreezes.  Note that only the visual part of these games remains frozen; input and audio still work for some reason.  Getting the visuals back requires a client restart.

I'm inclined to believe that it has something to do with NVidia drivers and Windows 10, as I've found at least one other person with the same exact problem as I have: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4316xl/nvidia_driver_36175_still_crashes_windows_10/d0cji2w/

I followed up with him and he just ended up reverting to Windows 7 to fix the problem.  Here is an image of all the application logs that appear after a freeze.  All 7 of these show up every time (should be easy to find in the Sysnative dump):

gVBbayc.png

Any help is greatly appreciated.  I've already tried Reddit, the Microsoft forums, and the NVidia forums, all without success!

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   987.57KB   2 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:37 AM

Your UEFI/BIOS (version A0.08) dates from 2015.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and the outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

This device is disabled in Device Manager.  Did you deliberately disable it?  If so, why did you disable it?

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Virtual Miniport Adapter for Windows x64    ROOT\NET\0000    This device is disabled.

If able, please re-enable it and then uninstall it.

If not able to uninstall it, then please re-enable it and update it to the latest, W10 compatible version.

Although you're not having this error, please try the troubleshooting from this article:  http://www.carrona.org/VideoTDR.html

It'll help in isolating problems that might come from the video card.

Many, many Live Kernel Events in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report.

This is often a sign of a hardware problem, so please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please start with the video tests (Furmark and Other video), but please run ALL of the tests

Let us know the results and we can move on from there.

If you'd like me to look at the Event Viewer errors, please do the following.

The Sysnative dump of it is in text format and isn't very easy to scan through (and I have vision problems)

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps.  If uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Grawlix

Grawlix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for the reply.  Quick update as I work through the post.  I followed all the directions on HP's website to find my BIOS update, but they don't have one available for my specific SSID, which is 2B36.  Product website: 

I just checked for updates, there was a small Defender update, which I applied, but that was it.

I'm 99% sure that Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Virtual Miniport Adapter for Windows x64 is the VPN for my university, so I leave it disabled except for when I need it.  This problem with the computer freezing has been going on for over a year now, so I doubt it's the culprit.

I haven't gotten to running the hardware scans/tests yet, will be doing that soon and post again after.

Event Viewer errors:

Admin, as you asked:  Attached File  Admin.zip   403.6KB   1 downloads

The 7 specific events in question every time my computer freezes up (the 7 from the screenshot in initial post): Attached File  freeze.zip   2.49KB   3 downloads

It looked like there was a lot of extra info in the Admin events and it didn't include all the error report details.  It seems like the second attachment here would be a bit more relevant to the specific problem I'm having, but I'm not an expert.

I haven't had any unexplained shutdowns, so I'm not too worried about Event ID 41.

Will set up temperature logging now.  If it helps, Overwatch has a built in temperature reader, and it's also the most strenuous thing I do with my graphics card.  It usually peaks at 83-85C, but the freezes seem random (unrelated to temperature).  I have noticed that I'm more slightly more likely to get a freeze if I have a youtube video playing on second monitor while a game is full screen on my main monitor.  In general, firefox on my second monitor feels like it triggers the crash somehow, but that's just a feeling.  Not very helpful for tracking down the problem.

Edited by Grawlix, 25 July 2017 - 05:23 PM.

#4 Grawlix

Grawlix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:55 PM

Someone from HP has said that my BIOS update will be posted in the near future.  I'm going to try that as a next step.  I just reformatted my PC last night and the issue has reappeared already.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:19 AM

Depending on how you redid your computer, it's most likely that this is a hardware problem.

The Admin event log shows a number of video errors/warnings among the many dwm.exe (Desktop Window Manager) errors/warnings.

The Admin log is a compilation of the critical, error, and warning events from the other logs.  It leaves the Information events out - and that makes scanning through the events for patterns much easier.  FYI - most Event ID 41 events are Critical events - and I use them (if available) to find the time that the system shut down.  From there I can look earlier in the log to see if I can find any patterns.

Where did you get the events for the "Freeze" log?  Were they just from a single log in Event Viewer?

While it does have what I think are some significant events in it, it's not advisable to extract a few events and attempt to force a pattern onto them.

FYI - the WATCHDOG dumps in some of the Information events are usually related to video problems also.

Have you run the hardware diagnostics that I asked for?  If not, please run them (and the HP diagnostics).

Start with the video tests (Furmark and the Other/Video2 tests), but run all the tests and let us know the results.

Also, please run the tests/procedures at http://www.carrona.org/VideoTDR.html
A few of the events in the Admin log referred to the video driver crashing and recovering - this is most often a Video TDR event.
Also, the procedures on that page will help to rule out software/driver probems - which will also help to determine if this is a hardware or software problem.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Grawlix

Grawlix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 12:15 PM

Where did you get the events for the "Freeze" log?  Were they just from a single log in Event Viewer?

While it does have what I think are some significant events in it, it's not advisable to extract a few events and attempt to force a pattern onto them.

FYI - the WATCHDOG dumps in some of the Information events are usually related to video problems also.

The events for the 'Freeze' logs were in Event Viewer under Applications.  Chronologically, the first four events are exactly the same and happen in the same order every single time my computer freezes up.  I'm not sure if they have any relevant information or not.  I will work on running the hardware diagnostics today and report back.

Edit:  The HP Diagnostic software found nothing after ~2.5 passes (I ran it overnight).  Moving on to the other tests.

Furmark 1 Test done.  GPU hit 86 Celsius and stopped.  Overwatch will hit up to 85 Celsius on rare occassions, so it doesn't appear to be a card overheating issue.  I've had the freeze happen when I'm doing nothing graphically intensive (so temps wouldn't be anywhere near damaging levels), as well.

I tried running the memtestG80 under more video tests, but I'm not sure what I'm doing here.  It runs and then automatically closes itself about 20 seconds later.  It does look like there's a variable number of errors in the thousands in the short time it runs.

I'm not sure if I'm running this test correctly, either, but I just ran the 'Video Memory stress Test v 1.7.116' for over 100 passes with test type 'OpenGL (beta)' with 0 errors found:

Changing video mode to 640x480x16...OK
[8/5/2017 2:18:22 PM] Test started for "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti"...
Trying 16bpp mode...NOT SUPPORTED
Trying 24bpp mode...NOT SUPPORTED
Trying 32bpp mode...OK

Video Memory stress Test v 1.7.116 in DirectX mode, I get this:

Changing video mode to 640x480x16...OK
[8/5/2017 2:16:40 PM] Test started for "Primary Display Driver (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti)"...
Trying 16bpp RGB:565 mode...OK
TEST FAIL (Code: 8876017C)
Trying 16bpp RGB:555 mode...OK
Trying 16bpp BGR:565 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 80004001)
Trying 32bpp RGB:888 mode...OK
Trying 32bpp BGR:888 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 80004001)
NO PASS COMPLETED

Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool 64Bit 4.0.0.29.W.MP:  Test was passed.

Edited by Grawlix, 05 August 2017 - 04:17 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:03 PM

Please note that the G80 tests don't just fail everything - there's other points where it says the tests aren't supported.  This makes me wonder why some would fail while some others would get an OK, and others would get the not supported message (and that, to me, can be a symptom of a hardware problem)
In general, if the test doesn't work as it should, then I blame the card.

And I suggest trying another card to see if it works.

If you don't have another card to try, see if you can purchase one from a shop that will let you return it if it's not needed (for your money back).

The most significant error in the freeze.evtx log is the last one.  It's actually a BSOD (but, as the system recovers, it never paints a BSOD).

The suggestions for troubleshooting this error are the same link I gave above:  http://www.carrona.org/VideoTDR.html

And, in short, the suggestion is to:

- replace the drivers with fresh new copies

- if that doesn't fix it, then try another video card.

Good luck!

#8 Grawlix

Grawlix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:21 PM

Thanks for all the help.  I feel as though the issue is definitely driver related and some random compatibility error with windows 10, but I have the most recent drivers already.  I'll try removing all of the GPU drivers and replacing them again.

Earlier today, the freeze happened again, but I had turned off hardware acceleration in Firefox (and my browser was minimized at the time).  It's worth noting that the game I had open at the time (Overwatch) did not remain frozen once my computer resumed running.  Every other time this freeze has happened since the Win 10 creators update, the game has remained frozen, so maybe I got lucky.  It seems coincidental that I would get lucky the first freeze after I disabled hardware acceleration, especially when I think the problem may have to do with Firefox somehow.  Hmm.

Edited by Grawlix, 05 August 2017 - 04:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users