Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AT&T Mobley Hotspot Issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:41 PM

I recently bought a Mobley hotspot to use when we go camping. (RV style not tent style lol) It plugs in to the OBD port and works perfect in a vehicle. I purchased an AC adapter for it so I can use it in the house but when plugged in to the adapter the computer finds it, connects but stays at limited so I can't get on the internet. I've tried changing settings, resetting it several times, rebooting computer but nothing works. Does anyone have any suggestions to get it online? I did have some issues with the seller falsely advertising shipping so it may just be a bad unit. Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:34 AM

Not surprised by no responses. It doesn't seem to be too widely known about. We tried calling AT&T tech support and the person who answered had never heard of it lol. He asked if it was a web browser. Needless to say he wasn't very helpful. We ended up just ordering another adapter which should arrive tomorow. Hopefully it'll work better.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:46 AM

I've never heard of that particular model, and the following is just a general observation, but is it possible that your service has expired?

I have one of these things that's "pay as you go" and if I've forgotten to recharge the account the service drops until I do.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:12 PM

No, it's brand new. It's $20 per month prepaid for unlimited data. It fits in the OBD port of your car but there are adapters for 12 volt, USB or A/C. The adapter I got apparently is a dud. I ordered a different one that should come tomorrow. In the OBD port of our motorhome it works great but want to be able to run if off the house batteries instead of the start battery.

Edited by HyperHenry, 26 July 2017 - 12:14 PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,000 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:20 PM

I'm mystified as to how they're pulling off that OBD port trick, simply because they're not "live" unless the motor is running, or at least not in any of the cars and trucks I've worked on that have OBD-II.   In fact, every OBD reader I've used strongly recommends only connecting or disconnecting when the car is off.

Interesting idea, though.  I'd think it would have been easier to stick with the usual cigarette lighter outlet as a power source.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

I'm mystified as to how they're pulling off that OBD port trick, simply because they're not "live" unless the motor is running, or at least not in any of the cars and trucks I've worked on that have OBD-II.   In fact, every OBD reader I've used strongly recommends only connecting or disconnecting when the car is off.

Interesting idea, though.  I'd think it would have been easier to stick with the usual cigarette lighter outlet as a power source.

The idea behind it is to use it while you're traveling in your car. Keeping kids occupied, checking email, looking for emergency assistance etc. The adapters are so you can use it out of the car. The OBD port on our motorhome seems to be powered when the motor is off. There are settings on the mobley device for time out so that might be what keeps it powered, not sure.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,000 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:32 PM

Oops. The +12V pin on the OBD port is always live. It's the rest that aren't. Never trust memory!

#8 HyperHenry

HyperHenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:07 PM

The new adapter arrived early and it works part of the time and doesn't work part of the time. I'll have a great signal for awhile then it goes back to limited and no internet access. It's cloudy and rainy today so that might be effecting the signal some. Dad says we need a cell phone signal booster. Suppose to be sunny in the morning tommorrow so we'll see how it does.

UPDATE: For the past several hours it has stayed connected and given us great service. I was watching videos on youtube, my mom was playing a game on facebook and no buffering at all. Maybe it just needed to be broken in a bit. I know we're getting  a better signal than the online speed tests are showing.

Edited by HyperHenry, 27 July 2017 - 12:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users