Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing WinXP in a VM under later versions of Windows

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xcskier

xcskier

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:49 PM

A question related to XP re-install: I just bought new p.c. with Windows 10.  I'd like to install Virtual Machine app. then install Windows XP (my previous o.s.).  I don't have an XP media, the o.s. came preinstalled on my old machine.  I do have the Lenovo recovery discs, are these XP install media and would they work on a different p.c.?

In any case, can I buy a new version of XP?  Surely it would not be the former full price, since no longer supported.  This might be my most cost-effective solution.  Where might sell these?

Edited by hamluis, 25 July 2017 - 04:33 PM.
Moved from XP to Virtual Machines - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:03 PM

Use the iso listed in this BC post. First link.

#3 xcskier

xcskier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:49 PM

JohnC: thanks for the link.  Now comes the Hard Question.

What got me into this situation in the first place, was posting on CNET about an issue with Norton a.v. subscription I was having with my previous p.c.  A  poster replied, oh you need free a.v. software like Avast.  So I downloaded Avast.  Except it is not compatible with XP Pro.  And there went my computer: no more wifi connectivity, no more printer driver, etc.  (Meanwhile, other posters were piling on to the CNET website, pointing out that Avast does not work with XP Pro.  But too late for me.  Shouldn't I have caught this myself? Maybe.  I did say in my original post, 'running XP Pro', bit I guess that wasn't enough.)

Now I have no knowledge of the site whose link you provide to the free download of XP.   But I've learned, and let me just ask this.  If I do try to download from your site, will my Windows 10 a.v. firewall, backed up by (free trial) a.v. McAfee, protect me from any malware that might come along with the download?

xcskier

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:09 PM

I am going to ask a moderator to split off your posts and my responses as it's getting confused with the original thread. 

As far as I know Avast still can be used with XP but that may have changed. 

https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB44#idt_100

I can't confirm if the link I provided is clean. It's in an iso file so there would be no infection just by downloading. you could scan it with multiple scanners to see if the iso is clean. According to Mike_Walsh, no nasties were found in the iso file. I personally downloaded the iso file and did not get a AV alert.

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:32 AM

Just a note that Avast will work on XP SP3 but only if your system supports SSE2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users