Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smartphone as CCTV

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:02 AM

Not too sure if this topic should be posted in the General Chat sub-forum; if not, feel free to move it elsewhere.

Hey, I was wondering, with the mass-produced powerful Android smartphones with 720p HD cameras of today, is it possible to use a smartphone locked to the ceiling as CCTV? It doesn't have to be connected to the Internet or to a cell tower. It's only job is to be connected to the power grid (constantly charging), so that it doesn't stop recording ever, thus gathering potential evidence in an event of a robbery/misconduct. If such a thing is feasible, is there an Android 6.0+ app that let's the phone record from the camera without sound non-stop in increments of 24 hours and save it to its microSD card for 1 year (or for 1 month if the microSD card gets filled up faster than that), with after each 365 days (or 30 days) the videos are being automatically deleted and the whole process restarts itself?

Are there any drawbacks to this? Is my thinking wrong? I would love to hear your opinions!:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,671 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:08 AM

It looks like it is:

https://www.cnet.com/au/how-to/turn-your-old-phone-into-a-home-security-camera/

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:42 AM

Thanks! it's cool that this can be done. The article suggests that using a smartphone as CCTV will drastically drain its power, both electric and processor-wise. However, I wasn't talking about Internet Protocol being used on this smartphone - it won't be connected to anything. And to further ease the stress on the device, I suppose it could be properly rooted and the Android OS made much leaner with almost no background tasks using up SoC-power.

I guess this could be pulled off quite effectively and cheaply for something like a small ~100-square-meter store in contrast to professional CCTV cameras and installations. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 24 July 2017 - 11:43 AM.

#4 techghost

techghost

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:03 PM

I have a question: Does the screen is lit all the time? What if we can get it to sleep and the camera to still record? This would save power and also keep the device from over heating. 

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:31 PM

That is exactly one of my intentions when I wrote:

And to further ease the stress on the device, I suppose it could be properly rooted and the Android OS made much leaner with almost no background tasks using up SoC-power.

It only makes sense.:)

#6 techghost

techghost

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:41 AM

I see. High time someone makes a step to step guide on this. Would benefit from it a lot. 

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:45 AM

I see. High time someone makes a step to step guide on this. Would benefit from it a lot. 

Whereas I agree, I want to ask you something completely off-topic. :lmao: Did you say you were from the UK? If not, sorry, my mistake. If yes, you are qualified to ask you, isn't it high time someone made this, not high time someone makes this? I constantly seem to get it wrong and for some reason can't seem to find a definitive answer as to how to use this expression. I would appreciate it if you shed some light on this issue for me, lol. :lmao: Thanks. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 28 July 2017 - 09:45 AM.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,671 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:07 AM

isn't it high time someone made this

For the use of language, that's correct.

"It's high time" means it's past the time when something should have been done, so to mean "It's past the time when someone should have made" would normally be said "High time someone made".

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/it-s-high-time-that

#9 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:16 AM

I see, thanks for the clarification. And I suppose then that if it were for a situation in the past that you are recalling, it would become: ...at that moment I knew that it was high time someone had made this? All tenses go one level more to the past, because of the I knew. Is this correct?:)

#10 frogbreath

frogbreath

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:22 AM

How would it see at night? and as a cctv camera it would be easy to steal and take the evidence with you once you have done your crime.

Edited by frogbreath, 28 July 2017 - 10:23 AM.

#11 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:32 AM

How would it see at night? and as a cctv camera it would be easy to steal and take the evidence with you once you have done your crime.

By leaving the lights in the room on and by being well hidden somewhere around the corner of the roof wall due to its relatively small size.:)

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,671 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:13 PM

because of the I knew

Generally, to make proper sense the tenses would follow that way. It would probably take the discussion too far off topic to go into it further, but even though practice is often consistent, there might not be a firm rule to cover all cases. There can be regional variations, usage changes over time, and sometimes something is deliberately said in a "wrong" or "odd" way for effect.

Edited by Platypus, 28 July 2017 - 08:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users