Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Background Image Not Showing up

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:53 AM

I am trying to add background image to a couple sites. I'm sure I have the code right, the images have been uploaded to the server but they won't display. This is the URL to the web page.

http://www.iawx.me/weather.html

This is the coding I have on the page.

<body style="color: rgb(255, 255, 204); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); background-image: url("webtreats_light_wood7.jpg");" alink="#cc9933" link="yellow" vlink="yellow">

Can someone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? I appreciate the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frogbreath

frogbreath

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:09 AM

Try some of these css examples. I learn code from here and it's a very handy site with good tutorials. 

https://www.w3schools.com/css/css3_backgrounds.asp

#3 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

There is so many mistakes, but this, what You asked, must be so

<body style="color: rgb(255, 255, 204); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); background-image: url('webtreats_light_wood7.jpg');" alink="#cc9933" link="yellow" vlink="yellow">

but currently is so

<body style="color: rgb(255, 255, 204); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); background-image: url(" webtreats_light_wood7.jpg");"="" alink="#cc9933" link="yellow" vlink="yellow">

Edited by zainmax, 24 July 2017 - 10:28 AM.

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:35 PM

I've tried those codes and the ones suggested in frogbreath's post but no joy. I'm beginning to think it may have to do with my host. I have I-page for a webhost. I bought the cheapest package so there may be some restrictions not mentioned. The pages are only for my own use so didn't want to pay a fortune for nothing. I'm just 15 years old.

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:28 PM

Keep it up, kid!:thumbup2:

#6 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:48 AM

.... I'm beginning to think it may have to do with my host.,,,,

I'm just 15 years old.

Definitely not. I told you - the code must be spelled correctly and everything works.
I wrote you your code and the corrected code. Why You don't use it?
But in fact, nobody does a site like you have did. This way was done 20 years ago. The time has gone a bit on.
You need to fix all the errors before it starts to work on any server.

#7 HyperHenry

HyperHenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:24 AM

.... I'm beginning to think it may have to do with my host.,,,,

I'm just 15 years old.

Definitely not. I told you - the code must be spelled correctly and everything works.
I wrote you your code and the corrected code. Why You don't use it?
But in fact, nobody does a site like you have did. This way was done 20 years ago. The time has gone a bit on.
You need to fix all the errors before it starts to work on any server.

I've tried those codes and the ones suggested in frogbreath's post but no joy. I'm beginning to think it may have to do with my host. I have I-page for a webhost. I bought the cheapest package so there may be some restrictions not mentioned. The pages are only for my own use so didn't want to pay a fortune for nothing. I'm just 15 years old.

As you can see in the first line of my post I said that I DID try it but I still couldn't get the background image to show up. That's why I wondered if it was a host issue as it worked on my old host. I realize the codes are outdated but this is what I know. As I said it's for my own use and convenience. Maybe I just need to scrap the whole idea since I don't know how to make a professional page.

Edited by HyperHenry, 25 July 2017 - 07:25 AM.

#8 frogbreath

frogbreath

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:33 AM

How did you try the codes?

Did you link it as shown from the .html file to the css?

<link rel="stylesheet" href="styles.css">

#9 HyperHenry

HyperHenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:41 PM

I really don't understand coding that well. I was using Komposer to put these together. I'm just going to make them without an image. Lots easier that way.

#10 frogbreath

frogbreath

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:47 PM

I am very new to coding as well. I have only done about 3 hours max.  

Here's what I have found so far its much easier to make folders one for css files one for picture files and so on for java ect and any other code you use all inside a main folder with your main index.html page and sub pages inside that.

I don't know komposer I have only used Notpadqq on linux.

You can always learn HTML and CSS code on sites like code academy.  

#11 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:49 PM

I really don't understand coding that well. I was using Komposer to put these together. I'm just going to make them without an image. Lots easier that way.

Kompozer is discontinued since ages. Use something else. If you don't understand how are you supposed to do it? Go and take a course on this subject and after that you will be able to progress. It does not make sense to go doing things at random as you will not learn anything. I'm sorry, but that's how it is. If you like coding or you like design, go do a begginer course to start making your path.

Your code was well corrected but if you don't understand how to link css, its a waste of time.

#12 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:16 AM

Register here http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/ and look at http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?/forum/6-css/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#13 HyperHenry

HyperHenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:26 AM

Register here http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/ and look at http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?/forum/6-css/

Thank you, very uselful site.

#14 HyperHenry

HyperHenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:22 AM

Kompozer is discontinued since ages. Use something else. If you don't understand how are you supposed to do it? Go and take a course on this subject and after that you will be able to progress. It does not make sense to go doing things at random as you will not learn anything. I'm sorry, but that's how it is. If you like coding or you like design, go do a begginer course to start making your path.

Your code was well corrected but if you don't understand how to link css, its a waste of time.

I was hoping someone could show me how to link it to CSS. All I am trying to do is put a couple pages together for my own use to check the weather and a few links to sites I go to a lot. I know it's out of date but it works for me. I really don't want to spend hours to learn something I'll probably never use again. Without the background image it works fine. If adding an image is going to be so hard I can live without it.  I now have the code to link it to the CSS but not where to put that code to make it work. I do appreciate the help so far.

#15 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:12 PM

Make a backup of weather.html before editing. Have webtreats_light_wood7.jpg where weather.html is.

Try the following,

<body background="webtreats_light_wood7.jpg" alink="#cc9933" link="yellow" vlink="yellow">

<body background="webtreats_light_wood7.jpg" alink="#cc9933" link="yellow" vlink="yellow" style="color: rgb(255, 255, 204);">

<body background="webtreats_light_wood7.jpg" bgproperties ="fixed">

<body background="webtreats_light_wood7.jpg" bgproperties ="fixed" alink="#cc9933" link="yellow" vlink="yellow">

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users