Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notebook Randomly Restarts

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KrazyLizard

KrazyLizard

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:40 AM

Hi i hope this is the right place for this.

Last november my notebook randomly restarted (kernel error 41 listed in log), just the once. With the help of a tech online i ran tons and tons of checks (Battery check, MS diagnostics, virus scans, memset test, Seagate Seatools, Furmark) we still didn't find the problem after 3 weeks of tests.

As it was near christmas and i would be busy we chose to leave it and see if it happened again. No problems at all until today (8months later). i closed my laptop for 5 mins and when i opened it it had restarted. less than an hour later did the same thing and it happened again. Log says it the same problem.

After an hour of being on my notebook, i closed again for 5 or so mins and it was fine this time.

I've ran a Battery check, MS diagnostics, virus scans and all clear again.

Does anyone have an idea want the problem might be?

Thanks for any help

Could this help or is it just a work around (i have a HP Notebook)

Windows restarts for no apparent reason
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03413399

Edited by KrazyLizard, 24 July 2017 - 10:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:31 PM

In my experience a Kernal error 41 can be cause by a lot of things, power supply, RAM, harddrive failing etc. When you can please try going to your control panel, click on System & Security, then Administrative Tools, then Event Logs, then Custom Views, then Administrative Events. You can take screenshots by clicking the windows key (between Ctrl and Alt. If you can post those screenshots we can see what errors you're getting that would help figure out what might be happining.

#3 KrazyLizard

KrazyLizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:33 AM

Pressing windows key didn't work. so used the snipping tool. hopefully enough info here. i took the screenshot at the time of the restarts.

AdhyAS7.jpg

KuvV0vh.jpg

I used the computer all day/night yesterday untill 10.30pm no other problems

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:13 AM

I missed giving you the whole instruction for making a screenshot, you click the windows key and Prnt Scrn. Do you have the issues both plugged in and on battery or just one or the other. Seeing a few 37 errors makes me think you may have a bad power supply. One other simple thing that can cause that though is too much dust in the fan vents. I'd suggest blowing them out with compressed air or as I use an air matress inflator. That might fix it quick.

#5 KrazyLizard

KrazyLizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:01 AM

With the problems yesterday it was plugged in. i'll get some compressed air and try clearing the fans.

Is thee anyway to check for a bad power supply, as i said above i tried a Battery check.

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:13 AM

Sometimes you can tell if the light doesn't come on or it gets very hot. Best way is to borrow one if you know someone with the exact same computer or buy a new one. Amazon has them for around $20. The errors you're getting and the shutting itself down pretty much points to a failing power supply.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:55 AM

What is the make and model of this notebook?

How old is the battery?

Is this the original power adapter that came with this notebook?

Once you have supplied this information I will provide you with the correct output voltage for the power adapter.  Of you can read the specifications on the power adapter brick to find what the output voltage should be.  If you have voltmeter with a DC scale you can read the output from the end of the power cable which attaches to the notebook.  The easiest meter to use for this would be a autoranging  digital multimeter.  You can purchase one for as little as $10.00 U.S. dollars.  You place the red probe inside the connector and place the black probe against the outside of the connector with the power adapter plugged into a wall socket, you should be able to read the output voltage at this point.

If this was a overheating issue you would not be able to immediately turn the computer back on, it would need time to cool to a safe temperature.  For this reason I suspect that this is not related to overheating.

You can use the instruction for troubleshooting the power setting found here to see if the problem is with the operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 KrazyLizard

KrazyLizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:39 PM

HP 15-r213na had the notebook 2 years next month. battery & adapter came with the notebook.

It just shutdown while it was closed again but this time didn't restart to the log in page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users