Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Paint to be killed off after 32 years

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:27 AM

Microsoft’s next Windows 10 update, called the Autumn (or Fall in the US) Creators Update, will bring a variety of new features. But one long-standing stalwart of the Windows experience has been put on the chopping block: Microsoft Paint.

First released with the very first version of Windows 1.0 in 1985, Paint in its various guises would be one of the first graphics editors used by many and became a core part of Windows. Starting life as a 1-bit monochrome licensed version of ZSoft’s PC Paintbrush, it wasn’t until Windows 98 that Paint could save in JPEG.

With the Windows 10 Creators Update, released in April, Microsoft introduced the new Paint 3D, which is installed alongside traditional Paint and features 3D image making tools as well as some basic 2D image editing. But it is not an update to original Paint and doesn’t behave like it.

Now Microsoft has announced that, alongside Outlook Express, Reader app and Reading list, Microsoft Paint has been signalled for death having been added to the “features that are removed or deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update” list.

Article

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034825/features-that-are-removed-or-deprecated-in-windows-10-fall-creators-up

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 July 2017 - 08:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:09 AM

Damn, MS Paint on Windows 98 is probably the first computer program I have ever run...

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,292 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:13 AM

Well, since mspaint.exe is a standalone program it's a simple enough matter to copy it off to another drive for safekeeping then copy it back and run it like you would any other portable program.

I've been doing the same with MS-Photo Editor for ages since it's got the best "set transparency" feature I've ever found in terms of ease of use.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,292 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:22 AM

Well, there's a slight hitch in that gitty-up.  I'm getting an "Unable to create new document" error with copies, whether run normally or as administrator.

I seem to recall having the same issue way back when with MS-Photo-Editor but cannot recall how I resolved it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20,489 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:03 PM

MS Paint is back from the dead. PR stunt?

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/07/24/ms-paint-stay/#4IALziHcmb78pQvl.97

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:06 PM

Well, in that case...:lmao:

Edited by Just_One_Question, 25 July 2017 - 06:06 PM.

#7 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:41 PM

What great news John! Generation Z will have the chance to enjoy the charm and simplicity of Ms Paint! The children in the computer lab couldn't wait for the holidays, as the week before a holiday they got to spend their computer lab time creating masterpieces in paint. Not only did they continue to learn skills to maneuver around a "software program" and to work on their hand eye coordination with the mouse, they had the freedom to use their imagination without any rules! It was a blast and...no spilled paint! (I sure have had plenty of paint hours too!)

#8 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:15 PM

Well, there's a slight hitch in that gitty-up.  I'm getting an "Unable to create new document" error with copies, whether run normally or as administrator.

I seem to recall having the same issue way back when with MS-Photo-Editor but cannot recall how I resolved it.

Did you copy the mspaint.exe.mui from \Windows\System32\en-US?  Also there is this registry entry.  I have NOT tried it yet.  Which windows has NO paint?

Spoiler

Edited by dhagerjohns, 27 July 2017 - 06:24 PM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,292 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:25 PM

No, I simply copied mspaint.exe and mspaint64.exe from their respective folders.  Copying the respective mui files doesn't help, either.

But now that it's been announced that "Paint Classic" will be a free app from the Windows App Store the need is moot.

#10 Node

Node

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:40 AM

It's not dead, just being moved to the Windows Store. :)

#11 3dholly-windows

3dholly-windows

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:36 PM

I use mspaint for fast creation of jpg from screenshots opening gimp or photoshop or a vector draw program is too much for just get a medium quality screenshoot.

#12 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:15 PM

Having never heard of it before, britechguy, what is ms-photo-editor?. Which OS was it built into? I had always though ms-paint was the only image editing program that came with windows, crude as it is for that, if you ignore the picture viewing tools which can do basic resizing and such but not much else.

Far in the past I used to use ms paint as a photo-editor, once did a stop-motion film with it when I was young.

Edited by rp88, 12 August 2017 - 07:18 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,292 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:22 PM

rp88:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Photo_Editor

I knew that I'd had this since the Windows XP era and that it was an "add-on" utility of MS-Office, but that was about it.  I still use it and it's "Set Transparent" feature is the easiest I have ever found and allows very precise control over what gets set as transparent throughout the entire photo based on relative closeness in color to the pixel selected, from a perfect match only up to +/- 10%.

#14 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:29 PM

Hi britechguy...bummer that I missed the ad-on utility from your post #13!  This year I migrated to Office 2013, reading your link, it's not available within the 2013 version.

I'm so curious, do you still use it (other than Office 2003?) Meaning, have you found a way to edit the registry to keep using it, or another method? I sure hope so, I'd like to check it out.

Thanks.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,292 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:32 PM

It works stand alone.  I still use it for specific purposes just like I use Paint for specific purposes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users