Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

30mbit connection only giving me 5mbit

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 squeakaroni

squeakaroni

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:02 AM

I have been using Charter for a couple of years now, and the last couple of months I've been having a major problem. As a gamer I need my full connection. Granted it's wi-fi and not hardwired but it's never been a problem before. So I'm supposed to have a 30mbit connection, although on my computer when I test at ookla it never really goes about 18-20, but lately it's been capping out at 5mbit. Not 4, not 6, just straight up 5. I test it on my phone, it says 26-28mbit and works perfectly. I feel like Charter is throttling me. I'm not downloading stuff, I watched maybe three movies on Netflix in the last month so it's not like I'm reaching whatever cap they have. Other times, it works perfectly fine. This crap is sporadic as heck and I hate it! I talked to their support twice and they've only told me that the connection is fine. Which it is. I have reformatted a few times, and literally each time I do, the connection is perfect for the first 30 minutes, then goes back to 5mbit. Again I think they're throttling me, but is there something I can try to magically fix my internet that had no problems until the last three months? I even bought a new network adapter thinking that was it and no dice. Or perhaps is there a way to get around their throttle? I have to deal with this jerks another 5 months and then I'm leaving them so I need something to help me in the meantime!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:07 AM

Interesting and the wifi router you are using. Is it your own personal, or is it issued by your isp? If it is you own personal then you may need to enable WMM Wireless Multimedia Services in your router. This is the Wifi version of QOS Quality of Service or Traffic Shaping. Also, you should be able to remote into your ISP's device and check to see if they have traffic shaping affecting your connection. This is kind of hard to advise on with out seeing the ISP's equipment or your own.  

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users