Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

malware and spyware programs

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:04 PM

Let me clarify some of my previous comments. While some of the program's technology has been incorporated into Malwarebytes, no date has been officially announced for full and complete integration so the stand-alone version is still available for those who wish to use it without installing Malwarebytes..

Malwarebytes Press Center: Malwarebytes Acquires AdwCleaner

...For the near term, AdwCleaner will retain its current name, supplemented by Malwarebytes branding. Malwarebytes is committed to maintaining the mission of the AdwCleaner product and its features...Malwarebytes will also integrate many of the proprietary techniques and detections into their flagship products.

Malwarebytes Acquires AdwCleaner

...Short term, we will work to give the product a facelift and enhance its detection ability. Over a longer period, we hope to learn from and integrate the technology into our flagship product, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. AdwCleaner will remain free as a standalone product.

Same for JRT which they acquired in June 2015.

Malwarebytes...announced the acquisition of Junkware Removal Tool, a security program that searches for and removes potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) such as adware, spyware, and toolbars. The acquisition will integrate its definitions and tactics into the Malwarebytes product line...The integration of Junkware Removal Tool within Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will take place over the next few months. The stand-alone JRT program will remain intact for those who wish to use it.

Malwarebytes Acquires Junkware Removal Tool

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#32 Hakyme

Hakyme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:33 AM

thanks for the clarification.. im not sure if I should just download malwarebytes asap or stick with adwcleaner until it gets fully implemented..i really don't want to use more than one program for this.

#33 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,917 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:51 PM

If you are just using to scan for PUPs/adware, either will do.

Windows Insider MVP 2017

#34 Hakyme

Hakyme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:49 AM

One thing i prefer about adwcleaner is the simple and easy interface... malwarebytes also seems to lag badly for some reason if i drag the program around on mydesktop... i kind of wish that malwarebytes hadn't bought adcleaner, so they could work on improving the program seperately instead (preferably by adding a tray icon to the program).

#35 Hakyme

Hakyme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:59 PM

One thing I hate about adwcleaner though is that it deletes Slimdrivers, so i have to reinstall it. I don't know why adwcleaner detects slimdriver as adware.

Edited by Hakyme, 03 September 2017 - 08:59 PM.

#36 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,917 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:59 AM

Driver Update utilities are just as bad as registry cleaners. Most are junk programs often bundled with other software you download from the Internet and many are classified/detected as potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) by security scanners.

Malwarebytes has an aggressive PUP Policy and has been in the forefront to educate product users and blog readers.

Windows Insider MVP 2017

#37 sundarecs

sundarecs

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:30 AM

malwarebytes and superantispyware are one of the best malware program i ever seen.

#38 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,917 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:57 AM

Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSypware are two separate programs.

Windows Insider MVP 2017

#39 Hakyme

Hakyme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 02:20 PM

Driver Update utilities are just as bad as registry cleaners. Most are junk programs often bundled with other software you download from the Internet and many are classified/detected as potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) by security scanners.

I have been using slimdrivers for many years without problems. It has helped me a lot so I'm going to keep that program.

#40 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,917 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 02:57 PM

Just to be clear, we are not telling anyone what to do or not do. Most of us are just advising that we do not remcommend the routine use of registry cleaners, optimizers, driver update utilities and that Microsoft doesn't recommend using them either. This is especially true for those novice users who do not understand the Windows Registry.

Folks come to Bleeping Computer for advice, recommendations, an answer to a specific question and other assistance. We provide that based on our knowledge, experience and expertise so they can make an informed decision. What anyone chooses to do with that advice and information is up to them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#41 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:56 AM

One thing i prefer about adwcleaner is the simple and easy interface... malwarebytes also seems to lag badly for some reason if i drag the program around on mydesktop... i kind of wish that malwarebytes hadn't bought adcleaner, so they could work on improving the program seperately instead (preferably by adding a tray icon to the program).

Sluggishness in dragging around the window for MBAM during a scan is more symptomatic of the overall system being busy, but, my window moves around without lag during a 20 sec long quick scan remarkably fluidly... (Perhaps your system might be a little less snappy? Is it an older dual core, or a laptop. or....?)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#42 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:58 AM

One thing I hate about adwcleaner though is that it deletes Slimdrivers, so i have to reinstall it. I don't know why adwcleaner detects slimdriver as adware.

Best to just let it be deleted/uninstalled....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users