Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Macs and a KVM switch- issues and concerns

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sparky672

sparky672

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 12 December 2004 - 02:01 PM

I just bought a Belkin KVM switch- it a 2 port switch with USB keyboard and mouse with audio support. Model F1DL102U.

I only have the B & W G3 right now and a Graphite G4 is coming soon.

I figured I'd try the switch out with just the G3 by itself. With the G3 already booted, I hooked up the switch and it seemed to work fine. But there is a problem when rebooting the computer.

Since the switch derives its power from the USB port, the Mac initially sees NO VGA monitor and it boots up but video is dead. Even if I disconnect the switch and hook up the monitor directly, there is no signal. I have to reboot with the monitor hooked up directly to get video back. This is in OS 9.2.2.

Since Belkin doesn't support OS 9 with this model switch, I figured I would just boot into OS 10.2 and then hook up the KVM switch. Fine- but the same thing happens when I reboot. No video at all and the video out is dead until I reboot with the monitor hooked directly to the computer.

Now this makes no sense. If I just hook up two Macs running OS X, how do I power them up while this KVM is connected?? The first one will have no video since there is no USB power from the second computer. Do I have to reboot each one until the switch works and then reboot into OS 9 while that machine is selected??

Can I even use OS 9 at all with this model?

Anyone have issues with the Belkin KVM? Maybe it will work when both machines are connected and running??

I read elsewhere that when a Mac an PC are connected using this switch, the PC has to boot first, then the switch is selected for the Mac before it boots or it won't get a video signal. If that's true, then how am I gonna use this with two Macs?? Belkin claims to support OS X with this switch but I don't see how if two Macs are connected and neither will boot without video.

Remember, this unit is powered by the USB port so it really depends on when the USB port gets turned on in the boot process.

I must be missing something really important here.

I can't ask Belkin since I don't even have the second computer yet and I bought the switch used.

Thank-you for any insights you may have on this issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:45 PM

The problem is that a G3 provides power over a usb port 9 seconds after the computer starts...which is way after the display is being recognized.

PC's will send power over usb almost immediately which is why you hear that about it having to be on first.

Personally i think you need a selfpowered kvm to overcome this situtation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users