Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could owning a cpu for 6+ years slow its performance?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Hooliganzz

Hooliganzz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:11 PM

I have had this computer for about 6 years now and was wondering if time could effect the cpu making it run slower? I have been noticing that my fps in vary low and fluctuating constantly in the games i play. To try and fix this i tried to lower the graphics setting in game this didn't not help anything, still the same fps making me think that it is my cpu not working correctly. I am pretty sure this is no bottle necking issue because the main game i have been trying to run is league of legends and before this problem started i was able to run the game fine. I am no computer expert and Im sure this could be several different problems i am just looking for a solution or at least someone to point me in the right direction.

I also want to add that going into task manager and changing the priority of the game i am playing to high helps the problem somewhat  

-Pc Specs-

Cpu - Intel i5 4670 at 3.40hz

Mother board - z87-g45 gaming (ms-7821) by MSI

Graphics card - Geforce GTX 760

Ram - 16 GB

Edited by Hooliganzz, 23 July 2017 - 10:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:46 PM

I'm still using 10 year old computers that work as well now as the day they were built.

Over time software requires more resources to work properly so that can make a difference.

If using Windows OS it can become cluttered up and loaded down with crap that can make it run slow.

Also having to use Antivirus and Anti-Malware software can also lead to the slowing down of computer.

Last but not least is the good old factory built bloatware that is installed on most prebuilt computers.

Another cause is programs running in the background open the Task Manager and see what is running using a lot of CPU and Memory.

Download and install Ccleaner and learn how to use it before you use it.

I use to use Ccleaner when I used Windows and only used the clear browser history part of it using only the factory defaults without any problems.

Edited by The-Toolman, 23 July 2017 - 11:47 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 PGJ

PGJ

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:19 AM

That's the issue I'm having now and seeing if there's anything I can do aside from replacing hardware. Mine's 6 years old now and I think I can tell the hardware is failing. It was pretty low end equipment, so you get what you pay for. I think having a machine that fails over 5-6 years, vs one that keeps working great is some luck on the manufacturing. Like one board will have less imperfections on how well of a connection the components have that can hold tight through years of use. Compared to one that had some un-noticeable defect that passes QC, but eventually breaks.

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:46 AM

If I were you, I'd delete all the unnecessary programs and files that I don't need any longer and just clean my PC's software in general. Then, I'd install and run Malwarebytes. Then, I'd uninstall Malwarebytes. Then, an antivirus scan by your choice. I'd suggest Avast. Then, I'd delete Avast. Then, I'd download, install and run AdwCleaner. Then, I'd uninstall AdwCleaner. Then, I'd go to My Computer. Then, I'd go to C: drive. Then, I'd go to Windows folder. Then, I'd go to Prefetch folder. Then, I'd delete everything in that folder. Then, I'd clear my Recycle Bin. Then, I'd download, install and run CCleaner. Then, I'd uninstall CCleaner. Afterwards, I'd restart my computer. Then, I'd click on the Start Menu and open Run. Then, I'd type in Msconfig and press Enter. Then, I'd click on Services. Then, I'd tick on the bottom Hide all Microsoft services, so that it has a tick in the box. Then, I'd click on Disable all. Then, I'd click on Startup (on the right to Services). Then, I'd click on disable all. Then, I'd click on Apply. After that, I'd restart my computer and if the problem persists, I'd be ~75% sure it's due to overheating. Then, I would open up my computer's case and give it a good clean-up with the vacuum cleaner (carefully), a dry towel, some compressed air for the hard-to-reach spots, and maybe even changing the thermal paste on the CPU if that hadn't been done in years. Then, I'd check if all the parts and connections in my computer are properly put in place.

This should help to speed up your computer and CPU.

Good luck! :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 24 July 2017 - 09:18 AM.

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,418 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:13 AM

If I were you, I'd delete all the unnecessary programs and files that I don't need any longer and just clean my PC's software in general. Then, I'd install and run Malwarebytes. Then, I'd uninstall Malwarebytes. Then, an antivirus scan by your choice. I'd suggest Avast. Then, I'd delete Avast. Then, I'd download, install and run AdwCleaner. Then, I'd uninstall AdwCleaner. Then, I'd go to My Computer. Then, I'd go to C: drive. Then, I'd go to Windows folder. Then, I'd go to Prefetch folder. Then, I'd delete everything in that folder. Then, I'd clear my Recycle Bin. Then, I'd download, install and run CCleaner. Then, I'd uninstall CCleaner. Afterwards, I'd restart my computer. Then, I'd click on the Start Menu and open Run. Then, I'd type in Msconfig and press Enter. Then, I'd click on Services. Then, I'd tick on the bottom Hide all Microsoft services, so that it has a tick in the box. Then, I'd click on Disable all. Then, I'd click on Startup (on the right to Services). Then, I'd click on disable all. Then, I'd click on Apply. After that, I'd restart my computer and if the problem persists, I'd be ~75% sure it's due to overheating. Then, I would open up my computer's case and give it a good clean-up with the vacuum cleaner (carefully), a dry towel, some compressed air for the hard-to-reach spots, and maybe even changing the thermal paste on the CPU if that hadn't been done in years. Then, I'd check if all the parts and connections in my computer are properly put in place.

This should help to speed up your computer and CPU.

Good luck! :)

(@Just_One_Question)I believe that you have too much free time on your hands.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installing and uninstalling software programs as you are suggesting leaves behind a lot more traces of unwanted crap only to have to be removed by other removal tools.

You are better off installing CCleaner and learning how to use CCleaner before applying any of its features.

Also use the on board hard drive cleaning tools in the System Tools section not sure exactly where they are located as I no longer use Windows OS.

Just make sure to understand what you are cleaning and removing so as not to destroy your OS.

Edited by The-Toolman, 24 July 2017 - 09:14 AM.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:13 AM

The number of programs installed...and left installed...over a 6-year period...is probably the greatest single factor appearing to affect system performance, IMO.

A system designed to perform at optimum 6 years ago...can hardly be expected to be capable of performing at the same level of efficiency with more complex/demanding programs being added constantly.  RAM installed 6 years ago and not updated/increased...would have a terrible time, IMO.

Other hardware could come into play, possibly...but it seems more likely that system resources/RAM would be a more pertinent factor.

Have you tried increasing the RAM installed?  Have you tried uninstalling little used or unneeded programs?

Louis

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:15 AM

I cannot agree with J_O_Q's remark - shortened - "Install an AV product, scan, and uninstall" as a permanent state of affairs.

The implication I take from this remark is that you should run your computer without an active anti virus solution in place. This is completely against accepted good practice and all current advice if you intend using this computer on the internet at all. At a minimum you need an active anti virus program in place and running and an active firewall. Which one you choose to use, and there are quite a number, is entirely up to you. If you need advice on which to choose take a look in the 'Security' section of BC.

With a six year old computer you are probably running Win 7. General opinion, again see the 'Security' section, is that the Windows firewall from Win 7 on is one of the best in the business.

If I have misinterpreted J_O_Q's remarks I apologise, but I felt that this needed clarification.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:55 AM

Yes, installing and uninstalling software leaves unwanted traces - that's why I suggested using CCleaner last, so as to clear all the cache and unwanted junk from the prior operations. I myself don't use any of these programs and I fancy Windows' integrated Disk Cleanup service. However, I have found it pretty painful to explain to people, who don't know where it is, how to use it, so I just provide the links for programs, such as CCleaner, that basically do the same thing, but are 3rd party-developed. Otherwise, I agree. :)

I meant that OP install Avast anti-virus, run a scan with it and then uninstall it if they already have another anti-virus program, but are unsure whether it works properly. Also, in Msconfig I forgot to add that OP may choose to keep his anti-virus program of choice with a tick in the box next to it if he wants it running at startup and from then on. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 24 July 2017 - 09:58 AM.

#9 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,418 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:19 AM

When removing software in Windows OS it is best to use a software removel tool such as Revo Uninstaller free and FileLocater Lite free.

Revo Uninstaller free version actually uses the built in software removal engine of the software being removed and than searches for any leftover traces which are left to be removed.

FileLocator Lite free is used to find any left over traces which Revo Uninstaller free failed to find to be removed.

Revo Uninstaller:

https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

FileLocator Lite:

https://www.mythicsoft.com/filelocatorlite

#10 Hooliganzz

Hooliganzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:24 PM

The number of programs installed...and left installed...over a 6-year period...is probably the greatest single factor appearing to affect system performance, IMO.

A system designed to perform at optimum 6 years ago...can hardly be expected to be capable of performing at the same level of efficiency with more complex/demanding programs being added constantly.  RAM installed 6 years ago and not updated/increased...would have a terrible time, IMO.

Other hardware could come into play, possibly...but it seems more likely that system resources/RAM would be a more pertinent factor.

Have you tried increasing the RAM installed?  Have you tried uninstalling little used or unneeded programs?

Louis

the ram is pretty new maybe 2 or so years the oldest components to my computer are the motherboard and the possessor 

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:31 PM

The processor is not what i woud worry about, I mean by most standards your i5 is just as good now as what it was back when you got it.

In terms of processing speed and power very little has changed compared to a modern system.

But if you want speed, maybe a SSD is in your future.

Platter drives do have their issues and i would replace that first or make it a secondary drive.

Your processor is still very good though, haswell may not be mainstream anymore but I feel it will be still good for you even in another 6 years, who knows of course :D

Edited by MadmanRB, 24 July 2017 - 02:32 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:21 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users