Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to attach a wireless printer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:47 PM

We are in the process of upgrading from XP to Win 10. We have an Epson Workforce 845 printer that we have been using view the wireless connection for two years with the old XP machines. I thought I had it working with the new Win 10 laptop before I left for vacation, but now that I have returned, I can;t find it in the list of printers and I can't remember who I attached it, if I actually did.

Can someone explain how I get Win 10 to see this printer?

Thanks

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:23 AM

Did you run the printer's set up on the new computer - I think first time it has to be connected wired then run set up again to set up the wifi connection.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:19 AM

Goddess_Bastet could be entirely correct, depending on the printer.

I would try that recommendation first, and if a wired connection is needed for initial setup that will be a part of the step-by-step instructions the software will walk you through.

Another thing is to use the Windows Add Printer feature for a networked printer if you know this printer is already a part of your wireless network.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:26 AM

The reason that you no longer see it is that the IP Address of the Wifi Printer has changed. It either was not made a Static IP in the initial setup of the printer or a Mac Address reservation was not made in your wifi router to make sure that the router issues the same IP Address to the wifi printer every time it hops on the network. If this is not resolved it will continue to happen. 

You can find the IP Address by going into your router and view the dchp lease list. This will give you the IP Address of the printer. Then you can go back into Windows 10 click add printer, choose network printer and add tcp-ip port and add the IP Address. Your system will find that computer again.

Once you have the printer IP  Address. You can either remote into the printer's web server portal here's an example open browser and type http://192.168.1.102 which should bring up printer configuration page and set static ip. Or go into router and set mac reservation for the printer.

289254.image3.jpg

Edited by arlattimor, 24 July 2017 - 08:41 AM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users