Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE7 to IE9

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 magnogreato

magnogreato

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:17 PM

How do you uninstall/delete/remove otherwise, get rid of IE7 in Vista Business sp2 so that I can reinstall, IE9 on a Sony VAIO laptop.  When I try to delete IE files, an error box comes up telling me, the Administrator that I don't have permission to remove it.   How does that happen ????  Problem is or was that AOL was installed and after I removed it via Revo Uninstaller, IE has AOL as the search box and that appears to be creating an error on the page.  I've spent hours trying to solve this but now I can't even uninstall it because Revo doesn't show it and it's not listed under the add/delete programs in Control Panel. 

Thanks for your assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:57 PM

IE 7 is the default browser for Vista....you can only upgrade it, you cannot remove it.

Download link for IE 9:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29254.

But you have an O/S and a browser that are no longer supported, so I would not expect IE 9 upgrade to be a good attempt.  See Here.

Louis

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:26 PM

you can only upgrade it, you cannot remove it.

Louis

Can't it be removed via the Add or Remove Programs service and its sub-service about Windows-related programs, such as Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, etc.? I forgot how exactly it was named, maybe Remove Windows Features or something similar - it was the one where you uncheck or check if you want a given program installed or not.:)

#4 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:24 PM

IE 7 is the default browser for Vista....you can only upgrade it, you cannot remove it.

Download link for IE 9:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29254.

But you have an O/S and a browser that are no longer supported, so I would not expect IE 9 upgrade to be a good attempt.  See Here.

Hi magnogreato:

Hamluis is correct.  Internet Explorer is integrated into the Vista SP2 operating system and it cannot be uninstalled via Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features.  If Windows Update is working correctly your IE browser should be automatically upgraded to IE9 (I received the upgrade in May 2011), but the link for the offline installer that hamluis provided should also work.

Attached File  WU IE9 Upgrade 19 May 2011.png   26.8KB   0 downloads

Note that several Vista SP2 users are having issues where Windows Updates never run to completion because the initial "Checking for updates..." phase hangs for several hours (or even days) without finding available updates.  See the instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum if you think you might be affected by this problem.

Hamilus is also correct that IE9 is not a safe choice for a default browser, and Google Chrome dropped support for Win XP and Vista in April 2016.  Firefox ESR (extended support release) is the only browser that is fully supported with Vista SP2 and if you browse to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/ on a Vista SP2 machine it should automatically detect your OS and offer the ESR version of Firefox.  See post # 394 of KellyB56's thread Windows Vista Update Hangs at "Checking For Updates" for further details.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.2.1 * NS Premium v22.10.0.85 * MBAM Premium v3.1.2
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Edited by lmacri, 24 July 2017 - 12:28 PM.

#5 magnogreato

magnogreato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:21 PM

Okay folks...thanks for all the info and help...I have a problem in IE7 and I can't or at least have not had an update from MS for IE9 but I downloaded Mozilla Firefox  so I'm fine.  Windows Defender can't be updated so I installed Avast but "most" of the rest is beginning to fall into place so I can use the laptop.  Whenever I downloaded IE9 to update manually, it tells me that it can't be installed because of the SP2 pack...I tried updating that but no good.  Screw IE7 or 9 I'll use Firefox and hopefully I can get a good price on Windows 7 for the upgrade even tho' it'll be going out of support also.  Would like to have Win8.1 like on my desktop but don't think it'll work on this laptop...but anyhoo folks, I really appreciate the help and thanks again.  Oh, by the way...the only AOL file left is on IE7 and it's being used as the Search Block and that well may be the source of my error..."all" of the AOL files/folders I've uninstalled via Revo Uninstaller or by deleting files manually but I still can't change the Search Block to Google or anything else. Oh well....

#6 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:20 PM

Whenever I downloaded IE9 to update manually, it tells me that it can't be installed because of the SP2 pack...I tried updating that but no good.

Hi magnogreato:

If you go to Control Panel | System and Maintenance | System and can confirm that Service Pack 2 is installed, it still might be worth running through the instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours to ensure the four critical updates listed in STEP # 2 [KB3205638 (rel. 13-Dec-2016); KB4012583 (rel. 14-Mar-2017); KB4015195 (rel. 11-Apr-2017); KB4015380 (rel. 11-Apr-2017)] are installed on your system and that Windows Update is working correctly.  If any of those security updates are missing then your Vista SP2 OS might not be fully patched.

Attached File  Vista Service Pack 2.png   21.96KB   0 downloads

If you still need Service Pack 2, download links for both 32-bit and 64-bit Vista SP2 are posted in Brink's thread Download Available for Standalone Vista SP2 in the VistaForums.

Oh, by the way...the only AOL file left is on IE7 and it's being used as the Search Block and that well may be the source of my error..."all" of the AOL files/folders I've uninstalled via Revo Uninstaller or by deleting files manually but I still can't change the Search Block to Google or anything else.

I've never used AOL but the AOL support article Manually Delete AOL Folders in Windows 10/8/7/Vista might be helpful if you need to clean the last remnants of AOL off your system.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.2.1 * NS Premium v22.10.0.85 * MBAM Premium v3.1.2
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Edited by lmacri, 26 July 2017 - 06:23 PM.

#7 miqrojamie

miqrojamie

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:16 AM

~snip~

Still a good thing to do though as otherwise your PC would have an even bigger security hole if you left it at IE7.

You'll probably need FF just to update to IE9 though as most sites don't work on IE7.

#8 SomeRandomGuy7474728

SomeRandomGuy7474728

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:04 PM

Just delete the folder C:\Program Files\Interner Explorer and C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer and then search Internet Explorer and delete any results.

#9 SomeRandomGuy7474728

SomeRandomGuy7474728

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:05 PM

But I just feel like you should just erase IE settings and upgrade! Why reinstall?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users