Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade computer or is it old/trash???

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 hrolsons

hrolsons

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:51 PM

I have a laptop that is running terrible!!!  I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the time/money to try to upgrade it, or is it just too old and time to get a new machine???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:57 PM

specs?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:00 PM

Download Speccy. Then, unzip it. Then, open up Speccy. Then, click on File. Then, click on Publish Snapshot. Then, click on Yes. Then, click on Copy to Clipboard. Then, post it in your topic and we will tell you if you should try to upgrade your computer. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 23 July 2017 - 06:00 PM.

#4 hrolsons

hrolsons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:13 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/6zEvIpWaswqfPCYyCJR2Jx4

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:31 PM

Your computer is of average speed.

If you want to be playing games on it, buy a new computer.

If you don't want to be playing games on it, keep this one, but do a clean re-install of Windows 10 64-bit. If you don't know how to do that, bring the computer to a repair shop. They'll do it in 48 hours max and will usually cost no more than 30$.

Good luck!:)

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:38 PM

or....if you wish to reinstall........start a fresh topic in Windows 10 support area, and they will guide you through.

A RESET is the simplest way to go, if that turns out to be the preferred course.

Personally....I would give the laptop the flick or install Linux on it and keep it as a backup/play machine etc etc, and buy myself a new PC (providing my wallet could stand the strain)

What do you use the laptop for...??....browsing, gaming, ???.....

Edited by Condobloke, 23 July 2017 - 06:55 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 hrolsons

hrolsons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:14 PM

Really basic stuff.  Word processing, Internet, email etc ....

#8 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:20 PM

Keep this one, but do a clean re-install of Windows 10 64-bit. If you don't know how to do that, bring the computer to a repair shop. They'll do it in 48 hours max and will usually cost no more than 30$. Also, if you choose to do that, spend 10$ more and tell them to open up and thoroughly clean your computer.

Or read post No.6 by Condobloke. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 23 July 2017 - 09:21 PM.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,537 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:27 AM

I vote save the $$ and post in WIN 10
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:21 PM

The cpu is decent , although i see abnormally high memory (ram) usage. The unit might be swapping to page (using the hard drive for memory address space) and that is dreadfully sluggish. As stated above, the simplest thing is to do an OS recovery after of course getting your good stuff saved and backed up on removable media. Most laptops have a system restore function.

For your machine to be using memory like that, i would deduce that your startup is clogged silly or your web browser is weighed down with so many add-ons that it is taxing the memory beyond comprehension , there are many tools available to get the startup, boot and/or browser straightened out if you decide to go for that option, Although, a windows 10 topic may be the route to take if a startup rescue is in order.

i Vote that your  PC isn't trash at all, nice cpu with moderate operating temperatures, a hefty and healthy hard drive  with modern Operating System...You have one slot available for another 4gb stick of RAM  , Most laptops are relatively easy to upgrade/add additional RAM, it is usually residing behind a removable cover underneath..   here is the correct RAM stick for your machine on newegg remote order site...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7253RY0185&cm_re=4GB_PC3_12800_laptop-_-0RM-002P-006G8-_-Product

Edited by synergy513, 26 July 2017 - 05:43 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#11 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:24 PM

Many manufacturers are only putting 4 GB of RAM in latops, which I feel is a terrible mistake for Win10...

A recently purchased Dell laptop (wife's laptop, not mine :) ) is virtually a 'slug on sedatives' so equipped, so, I feel the OPs pain....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:25 AM

There are a number of refurbished laptops available with Win10 and 8GB RAM, see Link .  An alternative to buying a new laptop for mundane computer tasks, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 August 2017 - 06:27 AM.

#13 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:24 PM

I've upgraded 3 laptops (all were 5-7 years old) last month by simply replacing the HDD with a 256GB SSD.

Fresh install Windows 10 and they are all running like new units.

Quick and cheap way to get further years out of ageing hardware.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#14 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:17 PM

SSDs sure make a huge difference.....!

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#15 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:58 AM

Yes, there is usually no better way of speeding up an old computer, besides cleaning it up, maxing out its potential RAM and installing a live light-weight Linux distro or installing an SSD and a non-live Linux distro. Most other improvements apart from those are oftentimes too costly and one would just be better off buying a new computer.:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users