Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP won't activate - error 32777

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kathpt

kathpt

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:43 PM

Hello,

Had to reinstall windows XP on my old machine and couldn't activate the windows (100% original) due to error nr 32777. Now the 30 days have passed and I still can't activate it due to the same error. Searched the entire internet and nothing seems to work, the 'bypass' trick (windows+u) doesn't work either and the computer is unusable.

Just didn't try calling windows support to activate seeing as it's a paid call and I don't find that fair.

This is the error that pops up:

Unable to establish a connection with the activation server. Please check your network settings and confirm that you are able to connect to the Internet, then try again. Message number 32777.

Is there anything that can be done?

I have a working internet connection with the usual cable I use for my regular computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:56 PM

Related Information

Louis

#3 kathpt

kathpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:24 AM

I can't do any of that because the system won't let me do anything besides trying to activate the windows.
The installation is genuine.

Should I just go ahead and re-install again? And then try?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:30 AM

I cannot tell you what to do with your system.  If none of the data I supplied in link above is useful...it's your decision what your next effort should be.

Although I've run XP for many years now...I've never had activation issues and I did a clean install sometime in the previous year.

Louis

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:14 PM

Tap F8 and access a command prompt. If you can get a command prompt see this guide.

https://techpunch.wordpress.com/2008/11/21/activate-windows-from-the-command-line/

This also. If you can access regedit in Safe Mode. 

If the above does not work then reinstall and use the above methods.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 July 2017 - 12:18 PM.

#6 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:56 PM

I can't do any of that because the system won't let me do anything besides trying to activate the windows.
The installation is genuine.

Should I just go ahead and re-install again? And then try?

Can I suggest, IF you reinstall Win XP again, with all the service packs and updates, do a full hard drive image, BEFORE THE 30 DAY ACTIVATION EXPIRES.

If Bleeping Computer management concurs, I can provide an activation crack for all XP versions without online activation.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#7 kathpt

kathpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:35 AM

This also. If you can access regedit in Safe Mode. 

If the above does not work then reinstall and use the above methods.

I could do all these steps up until step 11 when my system didn't recognize the command 'oobe'.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:32 PM

Just to confirm, in step 11 it's msoobe.exe, not oobe.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:30 PM

If Bleeping Computer management concurs, I can provide an activation crack for all XP versions without online activation.

I suggest...that you not make such suggestions...here in the future...until the Forum Rules change to allow/consider such as fit for forum posting.

Louis

#10 kathpt

kathpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:11 PM

Just to confirm, in step 11 it's msoobe.exe, not oobe.

I typed it exactly as is: %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

It says oobe isn't recognized in the system. I'd take a picture but it's in Portuguese so it won't mean much to you. But it said it doesn't recognize the command oobe, not msoobe.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:04 PM

I think you are at the point where you need to reinstall and do the activation immediately with your key. 

#12 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:07 PM

First I would completely wipe and reload the system. Then I would suggest you follow the linked procedure https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/816897/-message-number-32777-error-message-when-you-try-to-activate-windows-s Hopefully, you already have Service Pack 3 for Windows XP readily available so it can be installed after activation. Also, you do realize that Microsoft no longer supports Windows XP right?

Edited by arlattimor, 25 July 2017 - 10:08 PM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#13 kathpt

kathpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:54 AM

I think you are at the point where you need to reinstall and do the activation immediately with your key. 

I am going to reinstall tomorrow, but the problem is I'm pretty sure it won't let me use the key again. I will update.

First I would completely wipe and reload the system. Then I would suggest you follow the linked procedure https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/816897/-message-number-32777-error-message-when-you-try-to-activate-windows-s Hopefully, you already have Service Pack 3 for Windows XP readily available so it can be installed after activation. Also, you do realize that Microsoft no longer supports Windows XP right?

I know, I haven't been living under a rock. But that's the legit system I have to install, and the only thing that computer is used for is to watch videos.

#14 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:51 PM

Please don't think that I'm trying to be facetious, I assure that I'm not. I'm more than willing to assist you in anyway I can. If I've offended you please accept my sincerest apology kathpt. 

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users