Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB FLASH DRIVES NOT BEING RECOGNIZED

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rittenhouse

rittenhouse

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:41 PM

A serious problem that seems to affect many people. I tried to  use several programs to solve this, but they do not even recognize the flash drives anymore. What are the procedures to at least see the contents of the drives?  Why does this site not allow the title of the topic to be edited. The word should be ." NOT" instead  of NOR.

Edited by rittenhouse, 23 July 2017 - 04:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:48 PM

I have edited the title topic for you and moved the topic to 'External hardware'.

I don't know the thinking behind the feature that the author of a topic cannot edit the title after you have posted it, it may be a function of the software the site runs on.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:32 PM

What is your operating system?

Do you have the drivers installed for your hardware and software combination?

Are these USB2 or USB3 drives?

Are they being plugged into the correct ports?

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#4 rittenhouse

rittenhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:17 PM

After shutting down my computer and restarting it this morning, now it recognizes the USB drives, but still the contents of the folders read "EMPTY". Also the photographs show size and properties, but Windows is not able to open them. Video files that were  outside of folders still function but anything that was inside a folder is now showing as empty. I tried to use  a free program such as MINI Tool power data recovery, but it does not  function the way that i am looking for. I want a program that can restructure corrupted files. i am using Windows 7 and this machine does not have any USB 3 ports.Once the heat of summer is over i plan to do a final and hopefully restructuring of all of my external storage devices and pray that they will store what i put on them correctly and safely. This I know will be pointless as nothing seems to be sufficient  enough to relax after you have worked on a project. Something always seems to go wrong.

Edited by rittenhouse, 24 July 2017 - 06:22 PM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:32 PM

An alternative approach would be to use a 'live' version of Linux to see if you can get the data off these memory sticks. 'Live' because you don't install it on your computer, you load it off a USB stick and it runs entirely in RAM. This is a very effective technique if only because Linux pays no attention whatsoever to Windows permissions !

Have a look at this thread from the Linux section, I think it includes all the links and advice you will require -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/648523/can-i-download-linux-mint-on-a-disk-and-try-it-out/

Mint is a very good and quite easy to use OS and - so long as you do not click the 'Install' button on the desktop - there is no risk of turning your computer into a Linux box !  Once you have the OS on a memory stick and booted the computer you should be able to see these questionable drives and their data, and then copy them to some known reliable storage. Then shut down the computer, remove the memory stick with Mint on it, and re-boot. You will be back in Windows and then be able to check if you can now use these files.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#6 MarkAbraham1000

MarkAbraham1000

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:42 AM

Hi,

It may be hardware issue or it may be the issue of the pen drive. If you can clean the port of the pen drive then just try, it might be works..

Thanks

#7 ilonggo

ilonggo

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:50 PM

Hi rittenhouse,

It seems that your flash drive is having an issue. But follow Chris' advice, boot your computer with linux mint and see if your folder is fine under Linux environment. If so, copy all your files into your hard drive and reboot your computer to Windows (be sure to remove the USB drive or DVD that has the Linux mint). If not, use the linux data recovery tools, hopefully that will fix for issues.

#8 rittenhouse

rittenhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:52 PM

I have been having problems with a flash drive containing folders that are not showing up (see elsewhere for further details). I have noticed on my hard drive a folder named."Mounted for flash drive".When I click on this folder, the files that were on my flash drive,( or supposed to).show their contents, but still unavailable for actual use. If I delete this file will that solve a problem or make things worse?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users