Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Programs Won't Open?MOVED?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 brokemu

brokemu

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:08 PM

I turned on my ASUS X551M laptop about 3:30 Sunday afternoon. It's an older laptop (3 years) that's running out of space (down to the last 12 GBs of space available after the latest Windows 10 Creator Update).  I usually run both the Task Manager and my antivirus (Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete) after startup to scan the laptop and check what's running before I get going on the Internet and haven't had the slightest problem. Now, Webroot would not open and all I got was the recurring warning box:

"The procedure entry point RtlSetDeclSecurity Descriptor could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\WINDOWS\System32\advapi32.dll"

Tried to open up Windows Defender and got this recurring warning box:

"The exception unknown software exception (0xc06d007e) occurred in the application at location 0x0000000007723B802"

After that, I turned off the Wi-Fi on the laptop and turned off the laptop.

This morning, I turned on the laptop (without Wi-Fi) to find the same warnings continuing and that now none of the videos or music will play or open, each file taking a long time to respond and only with a different looking warning: "Server execution failed"

Nothing is scrambled (yet); all of the file extensions are what they should be. There's no ransom note. I might've just been lucky not to have been completely infected immediately. It seems I'm just putting off the inevitable.

Thanks,

RJ

Edited by brokemu, 24 July 2017 - 09:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:52 AM

I don't think it's infection. Disable Defender... Re install Reader
https://get.adobe.com/reader/
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 brokemu

brokemu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:37 AM

Turned on laptop and Wi-Fi.....nothing is opening. Not Firefox. Not Reader. Anything that I try to open, I still get a warning about missing advapi32.dll file.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:09 PM

A three year old computer.

Your first priority has to be your data on it. I would suggest that you remove the hard drive and slave it to another computer, perhaps using a USB connected caddy, and back up all your personal data off it - work, photos, contact lists, music, everything you have created. Allso make a note of the registration keys for any software you may have downloaded. Once you have done this you can relax. Of course, if you have current full backups this step will not be necessary.

Next, you need to create some more free space on this drive. You say you have only 12GB free, this is not enough for the proper functioning of Windows. On a 500GB drive, or bigger, you need about 30 - 50 GB of free space. You can create this by deleting Windows.OLD files/folders, moving rarely accessed data to external storage, and by removing

unused applications.

Then you need to replace this file. I can think of two ways to do this, if this is the only problem. The simplest is to find a copy on another computer, copy it to a memory stick, and then paste it into its correct location on your system. If you can't find it on another computer, then try the 'SFC /SCANNOW' command running command as an administrator. If that doesn't work then you are going to have to consider doing a re-install of Windows.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 brokemu

brokemu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:00 PM

My last external hard drive back-up was the Saturday before the Windows 10 Creator Update. For the last year or so, the free space has been flirting with the 20-30 GB mark, up until the last 3 months where it's dipped to 16-18, and after the last Creator Update, 12. I've been playing a sort of shell game of moving videos and music (mainly why I have this laptop) for much too long. I'll delete 15-20 GBs of old videos (they're backed up anyways) and try your advice.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,289 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:04 PM

Remember if your update to Creators Update (Version 1703) is within the last 14 days (I think, I can never remember the exact number) you will have a significant amount of space taken up by the Windows.old file that would allow you to roll back to your previous version.  It ends up being deleted by Windows when the time period expires during which you could have rolled back.

By the way, the preceding is not to take away from the idea that getting your data off of the drive in question first is your best plan of action.

Have you considered upgrading the disc drive?

Edited by britechguy, 24 July 2017 - 07:08 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#7 brokemu

brokemu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:04 PM

I'm better served rolling back to Windows 10 before the Creator update. I've been deleting old stuff (about 10 GBs so far), and I turn back on the Wi-Fi, and it's just odd:

-Firefox won't open, but Microsoft Edge will (where I'm making this post from; I haven't used IE/Edge since about 2006)

-Webroot, CCleaner and Autoruns won't open, but Windows Defender will ​(without any infections, allegedly)

-Videos won't play, but pictures still open

I'm gonna roll back Windows tomorrow morning (if it allows me to), and if that works, I might get a 1TB internal hard drive installed in a week or so

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,289 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:34 PM

Well, if you're able to extract your data easily to an external drive I'd do that, take an inventory of what you have running on the machine with Belarc Advisor (or similar - trust me, you always forget *something* if relying solely on memory), and just let the thing sit until you get your replacement drive.  Once you have that install the latest version of Windows 10 and then reload your data and programs.

If the intention is to get a larger drive in very short order then rolling back probably isn't going to gain you very much.

You cannot remain on Version 1607 anyway (barring a couple of exceptions that I doubt very much apply here).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#9 brokemu

brokemu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:36 PM

You're probably right. As much as I need a new laptop (or at the very least, more hard drive space), I guess all I'm desirous to do is delay the inevitable. I just don't want to be forced to use only Microsoft Edge & Windows Defender in the interim instead of programs I've had no troubles with for 3+ years up until Sunday afternoon.

Edited by brokemu, 24 July 2017 - 11:37 PM.

#10 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:02 AM

Perhaps you have a corrupt profile.

Try making a new one and see if programs open then.

#11 brokemu

brokemu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:23 AM

Shortly after making my last post, I ran the Windows troubleshooter and after a restart, it's.....running as normal.

I feel pretty sheepish about the whole scenario to be honest. I try to stay on top of things, keeping tabs on the latest malware/ransomware trends from this blog (and others) and I thought I was in line to be the next infection victim. I'm glad to be wrong.

As I think of it, this set of circumstances is reminiscent of some Webroot users whose computers were almost bricked by a bad update at Startup a few months back.

Thanks for guiding me in the right direction. Always glad to have a place like this when I need it.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,289 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:22 AM

Glad things are back to normal.  Now get thyself to a "tech-ery" and replace that hard drive if you really want that storage space!

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users