Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Auto Shut Down, Bad Driver?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 xtinctss

xtinctss

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:36 PM

Complete system rebuild including fresh XP sp2 load. ALl drivers have been updated as well as bios. What the heck is wrong? How do I figure out what driver is causing the shut downs?

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Socket 939
Lanparty UT nF4 SLI-DR
1 gig (512x2) DDR 400 (Slots 1 and 2)
EVGA 7300 GT 256m
Trendnet PCI wireless Network card
segate 250 gig HDD
Maxtor 40 gig HDD
Teac floppy
HP 8200 CD burner
Standard Keyboard and mouse

Thats all thats installed. Any help? What should I be looking for? As posted before, I was trying to SLI this but figured I needed to debug it first.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Edited by xtinctss, 13 September 2006 - 01:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:58 PM

im going to need more info to help you like are you getting any messeges, is your computer making weird nosises (that would mean it a hradware issuse). So help me answer your question by providing more info.
ROOTKITS BAD!

#3 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:38 PM

Do you get past post? Unplug your computer from the outlet for fifteen seconds and plug it back in, automatic computer shut downs (before window starts) are usually heat sink related, or power supply related, does your computer beep when this happens?

#4 xtinctss

xtinctss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:19 PM

I'm typing this on the computer. So I get past post. I get no error messages prior to the shutdown. It just suddenly reboots. I do, on occasion, have IE lock up and the computer freezes but that is not always followed by a reboot. I have no strange noises and the drives seem fine. No errors or bad sectors. I have checked all power connections and re seated the cards, memory and even the CPU. Temps all seem to be in range with norm. Nvida NV performance bench mark shows a score of 195+. Is that good? I think it is. The Graphic bench is 282, The disk performance is down a bit to 66/69, the memory bench is 341/271/136. It does suggest I change the drives from PIO to UDMA to icrease performance. I have no Idea how to do that so I'm just leaving it alone!

The computer posts normally. It does beep once. I thought that was normal. The Diagnostic LEDs on the board do not show any errors either. The PS is a 500w unit from Ultra. Maybe the PS is going bad? Not sure but I f I remember correctly they are a work or no work item. I can swap it out with a 485w have have here if you think that might help.

I have a bunch of stuff yet to attach. Printers, Speakers, Camera, External USB hub, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I really don't want to hook them up until this problem is solved. I'm running minimum hardware and software right now. The only nonMS stuff I have loaded is the nVida stuff and Norton AV 2007. I was having this problem prior to installing them.

On a good note, the system has been up for about 2 full hours now without shutting down or locking up. I wonder how long that will last!

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:26 PM

Look in your device manager to see if any of the drivers show problems.

Do you get a blue screen before the reboot or does it just begin a reboot?

#6 xtinctss

xtinctss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:57 PM

No BSOD. It just reboots. When it comes back up it goies into the error reporting mode and says that it is caused by a bad driver. But which one!?!?!?!? No errors in the DM. The only this that are red are the things I turned off. (An ethernet controller and networking controller.) These were disabled to removen them from the sys tray.

#7 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:45 PM

Here see if this helps,

1. Go to Control Panel → System.

2. Select the Advanced tab and click Settings under the Startup and Recovery heading.

3. Uncheck Automatically Restart under System Failure.

#8 xtinctss

xtinctss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:51 AM

Okay, I guess I'll be getting the BSOD now. I'll be on vacation for a few days so I'll post back under this topic when and if it happens again. Thanks for your help so far. This sure can be frustrating!

#9 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:44 PM

haha it always is

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 04:51 AM

Try removing one stick of the RAM and any device that is not essential to the Windows Install -

The only things you need are the monitor, video card if there is no on-board adapter, mouse nad keyboard and one hard drive.

If no error messages result from that configuration add one device at a time until you find the one causing the problem.

It may well be one bad stick of ram - so switch when you get the error message.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:56 AM

Look in your Event Viewer for error messages around the time of the shutdown: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 xtinctss

xtinctss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:37 PM

Back from vacation. I turned the computer on. After getting into XP, I clicked nothing, I simple put the mouse into position and BOOM...BSOD. Here is the error.

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xEB882A3A, 0x00000000, 0x8051FEE6, 0x00000000)

I have looked in the event viewer too. There are soooooo many errors aybe I should just post the whole log? Cut and paste maybe? LMK.

Thanks folks for everything.

#13 xtinctss

xtinctss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:38 PM

All nonessential hardware is disconnected. I will try removing one stick of RAM....one quick question. Should the RAM be installed in bnks 1&2 or 1&3. I have 4 banks on this MB.

#14 xtinctss

xtinctss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:37 PM

Yet another BSOD.....

STOP: 0x0000008E (0x00000005, 0x805A3EFE, 0xF1869B5C, 0x00000000)

This is driving me NUTS!!!

#15 xtinctss

xtinctss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:58 PM

Yet another BSOD.

STOP: 0x00000050 (0x968b8486, 0x00000001, 0x8056306B, 0x00000000)

After the last BSOD I removed one stick of RAM. We'll see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users