Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pro vs Home

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:49 PM

If I buy a used PC with W10 Pro, can I format HD and install an image or clone of my current Win10 Home HD? I am assuming not because my W10 Home product key is tied to my current PC mobo. Maybe MS would allow it if I explained what I was doing.

If I have to stay with Pro, can I mount an image of my current HD and copy files into the Pro OS? Thanks.

Edited by Artbuc, 23 July 2017 - 01:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,832 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

Even if you could do what you propose in "Option 1," your "Option 2" makes far more sense if your data is collected in such a way that a couple of quick "drag and drops" or copies get it all across.

Also, if you've got Pro and legally, there's really no point in downgrading to Home.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 mrmike570

mrmike570

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:27 PM

I agree, stay with Pro

#4 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:38 PM

If I get a used PC it will be a refurbished Dell Optiplex from the official Dell outlet store. I don't mind going with Pro, but would like to avoid the hassle of transferring files, programs, setting, etc. if I had my choice, I would simply remove the HD from the Optiplex and replace it with mine. Then I would turn on the Optiplex and everything would look exactly the same as what I have now.

Edited by Artbuc, 23 July 2017 - 02:40 PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,832 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:42 PM

I can't help you with the files or OS settings part, but with regard to your web browsers I cannot begin to tell you how much easier it is to either change machines or even to use someone else's machine, temporarily, now that the sync function exists for browsers.   I now routinely log in to all of my browsers and have the sync function take care of all of my browser settings, at a minimum, and it can go way further than that.

This is even handy when you need to uninstall and reinstall a browser.  Logging in again gets back all of the things you chose to sync without your having to do anything other than log in to the browser and let sync to its thing.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#6 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

I can't help you with the files or OS settings part, but with regard to your web browsers I cannot begin to tell you how much easier it is to either change machines or even to use someone else's machine, temporarily, now that the sync function exists for browsers.   I now routinely log in to all of my browsers and have the sync function take care of all of my browser settings, at a minimum, and it can go way further than that.

This is even handy when you need to uninstall and reinstall a browser.  Logging in again gets back all of the things you chose to sync without your having to do anything other than log in to the browser and let sync to its thing.

Are you talking about bookmarks? How would I transfer bookmarks unless the two pc's were networked or I used something like OneDrive.

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:52 PM

Not too sure, but I think your browser profile, which includes your settings and bookmarks, is located somewhere in the hidden user files in Local Disk :C. You can check which folder it is exactly for your browser in Google and just copy it with whatever method you prefer, and paste it in the new computer. Then, just restart your computer and your bookmarks should be all set.:)

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,832 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:58 PM

I'm talking about virtually any browser setting you can name.  When you set up sync you get to choose the classes of things that are synced.  I do bookmarks, settings, add-ons/extensions, history and session information, etc.

I prefer to minimize all manual transfers and the probability of mistakes that come with them.  I don't, for instance, sync my session information nor browsing history since this allows me to start fresh with those two categories.

~ Lauren Bacall

#9 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:06 PM

I'm talking about virtually any browser setting you can name.  When you set up sync you get to choose the classes of things that are synced.  I do bookmarks, settings, add-ons/extensions, history and session information, etc.

I prefer to minimize all manual transfers and the probability of mistakes that come with them.  I don't, for instance, sync my session information nor browsing history since this allows me to start fresh with those two categories.

I'll check back when I get the new PC. Right now I don't have a clue what you are talking about. How can you sync two pc's unless they are connected through a cloud or wired network?

Edit. Duh, I just found the Win 10 sync function.

Edited by Artbuc, 23 July 2017 - 03:11 PM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,832 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:10 PM

I never said that the cloud was or was not involved because I take that as a given.

One cannot sync anything that has no connection over which to sync.  In the case of browsers you establish an account, much like a Microsoft Account or an e-mail account, and the information is taken from the PCs where you are logged in to said browser and synced to the cloud.  Changes made anywhere get propagated to all instances of the browser where you are logged in and the sync function is activated.

~ Lauren Bacall

#11 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:10 PM

They would in essence be connected through a cloud. You sync your browser profile with the systems of Firefox, for example. Then, they store your profile information, bookmarks and such. Then, you go on the new computer and sync it with the systems of Firefox, which have your browser profile information now. Then, you download via syncing your browser profile and that's it. I haven't done it, but I think that's how it works.:)

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,832 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:11 PM

They would in essence be connected through a cloud. You sync your browser profile with the systems of Firefox, for example. Then, they store your profile information, bookmarks and such. Then, you go on the new computer and sync it with the systems of Firefox, which have your browser profile information now. Then, you download via syncing your browser profile and that's it. I haven't done it, but I think that's how it works. :)

That's exactly how it works, and I use this feature for Firefox and Chrome.

~ Lauren Bacall

#13 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:13 PM

Got it, you guys posted before I did my edit. Looks easy enough.

Edited by Artbuc, 23 July 2017 - 03:14 PM.

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,832 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:16 PM

And the Windows 10 Sync function is yet another example of this class.  I have themes that I pieced together that are synced and the whole concept of using a Microsoft Account linked Windows 10 account is so that if someone sets you up so that you can log in on their machine your "entire Windows 10 world" auto-magically appears on a machine you've never touched before in your life.

These are conveniences that I'm more than willing to make a privacy sacrifice for.

~ Lauren Bacall

#15 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:35 PM

And the Windows 10 Sync function is yet another example of this class.  I have themes that I pieced together that are synced and the whole concept of using a Microsoft Account linked Windows 10 account is so that if someone sets you up so that you can log in on their machine your "entire Windows 10 world" auto-magically appears on a machine you've never touched before in your life.

These are conveniences that I'm more than willing to make a privacy sacrifice for.
Agree re privacy. I, and I assume most people, sync their Apple devices (we have two iPads and an iPhone) through their iCloud accounts and back-up their devices on the iCloud and no,one makes a peep about privacy. MS starts to introduce similar cloud functionality and folks go off the deep end.

Edited by Artbuc, 23 July 2017 - 03:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users