Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First time build. New graphics card does not have any video.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MoonPower

MoonPower

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:31 PM

I built my first pc just a while ago. I have a graphics card that won't show any video. Not sure what to do next. The video works coming from the mobo. The VGA connection route does work, just not from graphics card. How do I update the bios without an os. I have a lot of questions. Do I need to boot from optical drive first so I can run the mobo and graphics card cds? Or do you put the os on first and run the cds second? There is something called AHCI. Do I need to boot from ssd first? I just don't know what to do next. Can someone here point me in the right direction? Need detail and easy to follow instructions please. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

It's helpful to provide full specs when asking questions like this so anyone helping can spot any obvious problems with your configuration.

I built my first pc just a while ago. I have a graphics card that won't show any video. Not sure what to do next. The video works coming from the mobo. The VGA connection route does work, just not from graphics card.

What graphics card? Is it new, used, transferred from another PC etc?  If the graphics card requires additional power via PCIe connectors, have you connected them?  Have you checked it's firmly installed in the PCIe slot?

How do I update the bios without an os.

This depends on your motherboard.  Many now will allow you to upgrade from within your existing BIOS, by simply placing the uncompressed bios file in the root directory of a USB flash drive (formatted in FAT32), and running the appropriate utility in BIOS.  There are various names for this e.g. "Q-Flash" depending on the manufacturer.  If this is not an option, most manufacturers supply a utility to write a bootable CD or USB stick containing a BIOS flash utility.  You then just need to boot from the USB stick/CD as appropriate.  You'll need access to a second computer for any of these options of course.

Do I need to boot from optical drive first so I can run the mobo and graphics card cds? Or do you put the os on first and run the cds second? There is something called AHCI. Do I need to boot from ssd first? I just don't know what to do next. Can someone here point me in the right direction? Need detail and easy to follow instructions please. Thanks.

No, you need to install an operating system first.  Insert the operating system DVD or USB key, and use the boot override key to start from it (keys vary, sometimes F12, F8 but can be anything, look for a message as it starts up or check your motherboard manual) .  You definitely want your SATA ports to be in AHCI mode rather than IDE/Legacy, particularly if using an SSD.  You can't boot from your SSD if it's got nothing on it.  During the OS install process, choose the destination drive as the SSD, and when it's finished, it should boot from that automatically.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 MoonPower

MoonPower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:42 PM

jonuk76, My graphics card is new. Not from another pc. It doesn't have PCIe connectors so the mobo is powering the graphics card. I have tried re-seating the card several times and I'm sure it is well seated. My card is a Gigabyte Geforce GT 740. Mobo is Intel DB75EN. Thing is jonuk76, I only have access to one pc at a time. Maybe I can still do it. Not sure. I would go the USB route though. Do you have any second thoughts. Thanks for the help.

#4 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:17 PM

Sounds like you need to disable your onboard video in the BIOS of the computer.  Your Gigabyte Geforce GT 740 maybe using the same IRQ as your onboard video. If that is the case you need to disable onboard video to free up the IRQ so that your Geforce card can initialize.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#5 MoonPower

MoonPower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:58 AM

arlattimor, I may try that. Or I may remove it altogether until I have my os on there. Then reinstall it and use the cd that came with the graphics card. Thanks. I still need help here with the BIOS settings. I think my Intel is an old board. I can't find AHCI anywhere on the different screen segments. No Advanced option. I need to install my os, but I'm not sure about how to do so. My original problem was that I had no video with my new graphics card. I said that in my first post and second post to jonuk76. But I do have video using the VGA on the mobo. So how do I get started here? Thanks for the replies.

#6 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:12 AM

OK so your onboard video works. What OS are you trying to install to the system? Also, you install the OS first. You get the basic Operating System on the computer first. Then you make sure that you have a connection to the internet.

Once you have internet access, you install some type of antivirus on this system. MAKE SURE YOU PUT ANTIVIRUS ON THE SYSTEM. The reason for doing this is that you have a basic Operating System on the computer that has not been patched with all the updates, hot fixes, service packs, and patches.

So once you have internet access,  and you have installed some type of antivirus on the computer, you will begin Window's Updates.

This will be a long process and can be several hours so be patient. Continue with Window's Updates until windows can't find any more updates to apply. Once this has been completed this I would attempt to update the bios of the motherboard. Instructions for this can be found on the manufacturer's website.

When the bios are successfully updated, then you should not have a problem with installing your video card. Also if you have a motherboard cd with specific drivers that Window's Updates have not resolved and installed for you, then use the motherboard cd to finish up with the few missing devices that may be in device manager. 

Edited by arlattimor, 24 July 2017 - 08:19 AM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

#7 MoonPower

MoonPower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:18 PM

arlattimor, I'm going with Windows 10 Home. I have other problems to work on before I start installing Windows though. First off I could be doing something wrong. But I get an error PXE-E61 media test failure, check cable. I have checked all my cables and to me they look good to go. A PXE-E61 error occurs because the computer is trying to boot on a network device and fails. And there is another error: PXE-MOF: Exiting boot agent warns you that the pc is unable to boot and is exiting the PXE boot mode. BTW, my AHCI is enabled. Does anyone know what is happening here? How do I try to fix this? I am new to the BIOS and don't know much about it. Any help here is appreciated.

#8 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:22 PM

Ok hard charger why are you trying to boot from your nic card. You need to go into the bios and disable boot on nic.

A. Lattimore

#9 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:24 PM

Check your personal messages big guy

Edited by arlattimor, 24 July 2017 - 03:24 PM.

A. Lattimore

#10 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:27 PM

You still with me hard charger?

A. Lattimore

#11 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:29 PM

Do you have a gmail account?

A. Lattimore

#12 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:32 PM

MoonPower you there brother

A. Lattimore

#13 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:52 PM

arlattimor, I'm going with Windows 10 Home. I have other problems to work on before I start installing Windows though. First off I could be doing something wrong. But I get an error PXE-E61 media test failure, check cable. I have checked all my cables and to me they look good to go. A PXE-E61 error occurs because the computer is trying to boot on a network device and fails. And there is another error: PXE-MOF: Exiting boot agent warns you that the pc is unable to boot and is exiting the PXE boot mode. BTW, my AHCI is enabled. Does anyone know what is happening here? How do I try to fix this? I am new to the BIOS and don't know much about it. Any help here is appreciated.

PXE Boot is not likely to be relevant to you.  It's more of a large corporate network thing.  In fact you should be able to just disable the boot from PXE option in BIOS.  I suspect the PC is searching for bootable media as you switch on, first the attached drives, and then the LAN, and not finding anything.  Your computer will not boot from any of your internal drives because they have nothing on them yet to boot.  You need to install an operating system first, from a bootable CD or USB key.  I would suggest doing this using your integrated GPU.  Get it at least running.  The GT 740 can be troubleshooted later.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users