Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen flickers during or after high CPU usage (laptop)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WindDT

WindDT

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:45 AM

Hi,

I'm running into an issue with constant screen flickering on my Lenovo IdeaPad laptop in the form of horizontal bars sliding up, during or shortly after high CPU usage (while cooling), such as playing games. The flickering is not so severe that contents aren't visible anymore, but it's really annoying and tires out the eyes, I think it has about 10-20% opacity. This only started happening about 2 weeks ago, never had this issue before.

Tried:

- Disabling Windows error reporting + problem reporting service in msconfig
- Restart computer
- Resetting Nvidia global settings to default in Nvidia control panel
- Checking for display drive updates in device manager (all up to date)
- Checking monitor refresh rate (60Hz, can't be changed)
- If I random move the laptop around, or gently press on the edges of the screen, the flickering lines MAY weaken, but after a while comes back again
- Screenshots taken do not show flickering lines. Connecting to another monitor won't have flickering so it's a problem with my laptop screen
- Setting max CPU usage to 99% in power options
- CPU/GPU prefer maximum performance

So I'm pretty certain it's not software-related. Though because I'm not really familiar with laptop hardware I didn't attempt to unscrew the screen yet.

Because the flickering rarely shows up if my laptop is idle during low CPU usage, I don't think it's actually a broken screen, so I'm guessing it's some interference with the cable connecting screen with motherboard? Or something is loose?

Thanks.

Edited by WindDT, 23 July 2017 - 12:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Deejay100six

Deejay100six

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:10 PM

Hi,

Which model # IdeaPad please?

Regards, Dave

#3 WindDT

WindDT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:20 PM

Y510P.

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2017 - 12:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users