Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero stuck/hanging on startup?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:44 AM

Hi,

I've been very happy with my 2 year old build using the ASUS Maximus VIII Hero motherboard. It has been very fast and mostly problem free.

However, since yesterday I noticed that when I was trying to use Microsoft Word 2010 it would stop writing for me at the same time that the task bar flashed off and on again. This became very annouying to say the least.

So, I restarted my computer hoping that would clear it up, nope; I did a system restore point, still not fixing it.

Then on one of the restarts the computer started taking 15 to 20 minutes to get past the startup screen.

I've since opened my computer up and reset everything, still the same issue.

It is taking about 20 minutes for my computer to start and the task bar is flashing on and off every few seconds?

Windows Explorer is apparently restarting every few seconds?

Since it is taking so long to start it makes me think it is a hardware problem?

So, what may be causing this and how can I fix it?

Thanks,

John

Windows 10 is what I am using.

PS OH, there is also a phantom drive "H" (now is "L") that keeps popin up a File Explorer asking that I install a CD or DVD? Plus I'm getting miniSD icons showing for a Primary partition that I just made?

Edited by Johnz414, 23 July 2017 - 11:47 AM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:31 PM

Hi,

I found a solution that seems to be working for now:

This post here:

http://tipsarea.com/2016/02/07/how-to-fix-the-crashing-windows-explorer-in-windows-10/

At the bottom of the post the latest update to it worked, quoted below:

"[Update April. 3, 2017 (Kudos to Dominic):] Several people mentioned the following comment left by Dominic helped. I think it is worth put here. “1 possible source of a explorer crash problem is moved files that “Quick access” is trying to find. If file gets moved and quick access cannot find it, it crashes explorer. Quick fix: windows symbol+R (run), enter c:\, File tab-Change folder and search options, and untick “show recently used in Quick access” or clear exporer history. Hope that helps someone.”

Hope you can use the similar method to fix your problem. Leave a comment below to let me know if it works for you."

I think it was the phantom "L" drive that Explorer keeps trying to find for quick access. I unchecke under "Privacy" > "Show recently used files in Quick Acces" and "Show recently used folders in Quick Access".

With these unchecked the issue immediately disappeared!

Love it when it can be fixed that easily!

I guess I get the pat on the back this time, (one of the few times I can do that).

PS However, now to see about the outrageously long computer startup times!!!???

Edited by Johnz414, 23 July 2017 - 12:33 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:32 PM

Actually after restarting my computer the issue was still there.

However, I did finally figure out what it really and that would be an old version of magicJack that I recently plugged into my computer because my phone for a more current magicJack product isn't working.

Once I unplugged this old magicJack the issue disappeared.

I am able to check "Show recently used files in Quick Access" and "Show recently used folders in Quick Access” for folders without any issue and the phantom drive has disappeared.

I suspect that this is all there is to this issue and consider it solved!

John

Albert Einstein.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:16 AM

Thanks for letting us know.  It'll help others who come looking for help with similar problems.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users