Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to clean a donated XP PC?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,361 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:22 PM

Does the problematic PC have an optical drive?   Depending on the vintage you may not be able to boot from a USB drive no matter what you do.

My next step would be burning the ISO file you're trying to load to a CD/DVD and see if the machine boots from it with the BIOS set up correctly (which it already is based on your description).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#32 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:02 PM

from post #28 -- "...7.61GB drive..."

Cool, man, cool.  How big is the other hard-drive?  As indicated earlier, a small version of Linux can be installed.

Edited by RolandJS, 06 October 2017 - 03:04 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#33 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:38 PM

Does the problematic PC have an optical drive?   Depending on the vintage you may not be able to boot from a USB drive no matter what you do.

My next step would be burning the ISO file you're trying to load to a CD/DVD and see if the machine boots from it with the BIOS set up correctly (which it already is based on your description).

It has a DVD drive. I'll look into that. Thanks

Running Win XP with Office 2007

#34 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:42 PM

from post #28 -- "...7.61GB drive..."

Cool, man, cool.  How big is the other hard-drive?  As indicated earlier, a small version of Linux can be installed.

Actually, that was a dumb mistake on my part. Kinda funny. I inserted the bootable USB drive with the Killfile utility. when it came up, I (thought I) told it to completely erase the HDD. But when I removed the USB drive and rebooted, it came up with XP just like before. So I reinserted the USB drive and rebooted. This time it skipped right past the USB drive and loaded XP. So I opened the USB drive in explorer and discovered that it was empty. After some head scratching, I realized that what I had done was erase the USB drive, not the HDD. So I recreated the USB boot drive and erased the HDD, which is 55.8 GB. (sigh)

#35 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:11 AM

Success (partial). I was able to use Killdisk to create a bootable DVD and boot from it on the Chinese PC.

The boot DVD then ran Killdisk, which displayed the drives that it could kill. On the other PC, there was only one drive. On this one, it looks like there are at least two and they are partitioned. I took photos of the Killdisk screen and attached them here.

Here is the list of disks

SAMSUNG (80h)
 -> Local Disk (1:)
 -> Local Disk (2:)
    -> Extended
       -> Local Disk (3:)
       -> Local Disk (4:)
       -> Local Disk (5:)
 -> Unallocated

I am not sure in what order I should select them for killing.

Any suggestions?

Attached Files

#36 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:57 AM

From your image it seems Killdisk labels partitions as local disks. The Samsung drive has two partitions, one primary, local disk 1, and the other extended, local disk 2, which has multiple logical partitions (local disks). Can you highlight Samsung and wipe the drive? If not then wipe disk 1 then disk 2.

#37 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 07 October 2017 - 04:28 PM

"...55.8 GB..."  Well, that's larger.  I'm not sure just how current of a Windows can be installed; and along with the normal 3rd party programs and utilities.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#38 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:57 PM

From your image it seems Killdisk labels partitions as local disks. The Samsung drive has two partitions, one primary, local disk 1, and the other extended, local disk 2, which has multiple logical partitions (local disks). Can you highlight Samsung and wipe the drive? If not then wipe disk 1 then disk 2.

I was able to highlight the Samsung entry and Killdisk did the rest. Thanks

#39 Codaeus

Codaeus

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:51 PM

OK. I called the school and they do want the computers, but the neighbors who gave them to me asked me to delete all of the data first. The IT person at the school said they might use them for parts or to experiment with installing a different OS, like Linux.

So, I would like suggestions for a utility, probably run from a USB drive, that will completely wipe the hard drive.

Thanks

Okay I'm not quite sure what you want, so here's a selection. If you want to erase all files but leave XP intact:

Bleachbit

Delete Doctor 1.1 (from majorgeeks.com)

Eraser (from spychecker.com)

Free File Shredder 4.1.2 (from kakasoft.com)

If you want to nuke everything:

Active@Kill Disk Hard Drive Eraser (from killdisk.com)

CBL Data Shredder

Disk Wipe 1.7 or HDShredder 4.0.0 (both from majorgeeks)\

Lastly, BCWipe (from jetico.com) Don't recall which category its in.

#40 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:24 AM

Thanks, but as I said above, Killdisk took care of it.

Edited by hamluis, 01 November 2017 - 02:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users