Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need "Boot Up" Help..not a computer genius

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SonMob

SonMob

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:58 AM

Attached File  Computer Prob 1.jpg   213.18KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Computer Prob 2.jpg   90.08KB   0 downloadsI was given a Desktop Computer by my Sister-in-Law that her late husband had built.

I plugged it in, it booted up to Windows 7 Home and showed the desktop with shortcuts to some games he played.

I then got some error note about not able to update and the unit locked up.

I manually shut it off and restarted.

Here is the problem, it won't boot up.I get the screen shown in this post. (See Pics)

I can do a Control/Alt/Del and get a BIOS screen with options for F2, F7, F10 and get a screen shown as a pic with 2 boot options, BOTH of which go back to the screen with the text about boot issues.

I have tried the F8 button and nothing happens.

I opened the side panel and the hard drive is running.

So, I am hoping that someone in this forum can advise me as to which sequence might get me back to a menu that will allow me to boot this unit up.

I don't think there is a serious problem, just don't know how to get to a boot screen.

Thanks for helping me out.

Paul

Edited by SonMob, 23 July 2017 - 07:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:02 AM

Hello Paul,

So let make sure that I understand. You have a custom built system with Windows 7 as the OS. This system fails its POST (Power On Self Test) and fails to load the Windows 7 OS. It's possible that you have Chip Creep. Chip Creep is when the ambient temperature of the computer increases from poor air flow. Which causes components to expand and contract.

This is common with custom built computers if air flow has not been taken into account. Over time these components and cables can come unplugged. I would open the case and make sure that cables, cards, and memory are fully seated and boot the system and see if it POSTs. If it does you will see the windows logo as the OS loads.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:03 AM

The message is telling you that the BIOS cannot find a hard drive, or any drive that has an operating system.

Start by unplugging the hard drive data and power cable, then re-plug both back in and make sure they are firmly connected. A loose data cable can cause this.

If no joy, then check if your hard drive has failed; you will need a 2nd computer to do this:

Go here and download Seatools For DOS (free)
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/#

> Accept the EULA and download the ISO file.
> When download is complete burn the ISO to a CD or DVD.
> Make sure your BIOS is set to:   1st Boot Device = CD drive, 2nd Boot Device = Hard Drive.
> Insert the CD in your optical drive and reboot.
> When the screen opens, you will see all the operating drives in your computer.
  Hilight the one that you want to use, the others will be ignored.

> Click the upper left corner for the Long Test.
> Note: if you get a pop-up window telling you that SMART has tripped and asking if you want to continue, choose Yes. Be sure to post that in your next reply along with the result of the test.
At the end of the test, you will get either a Pass or Fail notice. Post the result in your next reply.
Be sure to have your hard drive directly installed internally to the motherboard, not in an external drive.

[EDIT]: afterthought:  if you get a message that no hard drive could be found, be sure to post that result in your reply.

Edited by ranchhand_, 23 July 2017 - 09:26 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 SonMob

SonMob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:54 AM

OOPS, I guess I sent a 'Report' to the Moderators instead of a reply.....so here goes again.

1.  I opened the tower and re-plugged all of the connections.  All were very secure.  RESULT - No change in the Boot Problem.

2.  I Downloaded the "Seatools for DOS" , copied to a DVD and ran in the suspect computer.  

The page listing the Operating Drives in the computer came up.

The Box was empty and immediately below it was the Text "No Hard Drives" found. (As you must have suspected from your edit, above.)

I also found something like this when I Went to BIOS Settings (F2), click on BOOT Icon, in 'Hard Drive Order' got this 'No Hard Disc Drive'

Maybe telling me the same thing.

So, Is my Hard Drive bad and do I have to get a new one???

I can't believe that It was working then it went bad!!!!!

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks,

Paul

#5 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:05 AM

The drive may not be bad. It might be the controller on the motherboard. What kind of hard drive is this? Is it ATAPI/EIDE or SATA? Follow The EIDE or SATA Cable from the hard drive to the controller on the motherboard. Then unplug the cable and plug it into the unused controller and boot the system again and see if it posts. If it does not post then most likely you have a bad drive.

Edited by arlattimor, 23 July 2017 - 10:06 AM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,240 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:12 AM

Sometimes Seatools for DOS cannot pick up a SATA drive. Download UBCD and burn a CD. Click on the hard drive icon, not the mirror link. At the menu screen select Parted Magic. At the Parted Magic desktop click Disk Health. If it detects the drive do a short/long generic test.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

#7 SonMob

SonMob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:51 AM

The drive may not be bad. It might be the controller on the motherboard. What kind of hard drive is this? Is it ATAPI/EIDE or SATA? Follow The EIDE or SATA Cable from the hard drive to the controller on the motherboard. Then unplug the cable and plug it into the unused controller and boot the system again and see if it posts. If it does not post then most likely you have a bad drive.

Followed the cable from the SATA Drive to the Motherboard.  Unplugged it and tried it in two other ports - No change in the Boot Problem.

Thanks,

Paul

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,622 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:52 PM

Although I have never experienced Seatools not detecting a SATA drive, JohnC's suggestion for a secondary check is good. If it does not detect a drive also, you can be quite confident that the drive failed.  As a final check, you can remove the drive itself and slave it (re: connect it ) to another computer; if Windows on that computer will not detect it, it definitely went south. If that computer registers it and assigns a drive letter in Explore, and you can access it and see your files, then the problem is in your original computer.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:46 PM

Option 2, SeaTools For DOS

Louis

#10 SonMob

SonMob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:55 PM

Sometimes Seatools for DOS cannot pick up a SATA drive. Download UBCD and burn a CD. Click on the hard drive icon, not the mirror link. At the menu screen select Parted Magic. At the Parted Magic desktop click Disk Health. If it detects the drive do a short/long generic test.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

At this moment, I am downloading the CD.

I will use it in the suspect computer when I have a few minutes tomorrow and report back to you.

I really suspect that the drive is not functioning.

Thanks

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,622 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:17 PM

re: AHCI & Seatools for DOS

Very strange; I have an Asus 970 Pro Gaming/Aura board with AHCI enabled. BIOS American Megatrends Version  0901
 I just now booted my Seatools for DOS, it loaded and ran without a hitch. I have used S for DOS on other AHCI machines without a problem. I notice this post is from the Seven Forums, maybe their opinion but not what Seagate says. I also spoke (about a year ago) with a Seagate technician (I returned a Seagate drive that failed within warranty) and specifically asked him about using Seatools on other brand drives, and he said that their service dept. uses it all the time on everything including SSDs.

This is from the Seatools website:

SeaTools for DOS is a comprehensive, easy-to-use diagnostic tool that helps you quickly determine what is preventing you from accessing data on your desktop or notebook computer. It includes several tests that will examine the physical media on your Seagate or Maxtor disk drive and any non-Seagate disk drive. This is the walk-through for both the old (text) and new (GUI) version.

Edited by ranchhand_, 23 July 2017 - 09:28 PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:41 AM

Well...I had a Link to a Seagate forum discussion of this, which is also well referenced at Other Sites.

That link appears now to be broken.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users