Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player Visualizations Disappear

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Firebright

Firebright

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:54 AM

Alright, I have a super irritating problem which I can't find help for ANYWHERE online, so here goes...

The visualizations in WMP randomly turn off, and display a white screen with a musical note in the middle instead. I like the visualizations. I can turn them back on again by choosing a different type of visualization, but without fail they will always switch off again eventually. Constantly fixing this is really annoying. Details are as follows.

I turn them on again by right clicking, choosing Visualizations, and selecting the Random tab in Alchemy, though I've tried changing to other types as well. When the visualizations stop working, the Random tab in Alchemy is still selected. (the program still thinks it's turned on, apparently, as it doesn't change the settings to 'no visualizations' or 'album art only')
They never disappear mid-song.
I have tried downloading different types of visualizations online, but they suffer the same fate.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling WMP twice. Didn't change a thing.
I have also tried uninstalling the K-Lite Codec pack, thinking it might be a problem of switching between MP3 and FLV, since both are on my playlist, even though I have had it for years and never experienced problems before. This also did not work.
I use Windows 8.1

Searching online gave me no clues, so I'm hoping someone here has firsthand knowledge.

If anyone has any suggestions for solving this issue, you would be saving my life. Sure, it isn't a matter of life or death, but it's really, really annoying. Thanks in advance! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:44 AM

@Firebright

Welcome to BC.

Try resolving your Windows Media Player issues following these steps.

1. In the search box type: Turn windows features on or off. Select the matching entry from the search list subheaded control panel. When the Windows Features list populates, look down the list for the entry: Media Features. You may also open Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn windows features on or off.

2. Click the plus (+) sign and uncheck Windows Media Player, Click Yes on the warning window and click OK at the bottom of the Windows Features list. After a few minutes of removing Windows Media Player you will be advised of Completing the requested change.

3. Reboot your computer.

4. Repeat Steps 1. & 2. This time place a checkmark in Windows Media Player, there shouldn't be any warning window so click Ok and let Windows perform the changes.

5. Reboot your computer. and check that your issue is resolved!

Regards

Old Rocker

#3 Firebright

Firebright
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:22 AM

Old Rocker,

What you are describing is uninstalling and reinstalling the program, which I mentioned I had tried twice already. I did follow your instructions, adding on a third time in case I had missed a step previously, but my problem is not solved.

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:47 AM

When you change the skin in the Settings menu of Windows Media Player (the different square-form theme look of it when it is not maximized), and then you listen to 1 or 2 songs, and then you close Windows Media Player, restart your computer and open Windows Media Player again, does the skin stay the same as the one you've chosen? If not, then that would mean there is some problem with the cache and the savings of the settings that you choose to have in Windows Media Player - it could probably be resolved by right-clicking on the folder in Windows where Windows Media Player is located and unchecking Read-only, so that new files could be written into that folder, so as to make the changes that you wish to have, such as the visualizations, get saved and stay permanently on. :)

What I mean by 'Skins'

cool-windows-media-player-skins-wml-11.j

Edited by Just_One_Question, 24 July 2017 - 05:48 AM.

#5 Firebright

Firebright
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

My problem was solved via another forum. The answer is below. Thanks for your help everyone!

1. Press Windows key on your keyboard or click Start button.
  2. Type Troubleshooting and click the search result.
  3. On the left-hand panel, click View all.
  4. Look for Windows Media Player Settings and click to run the troubleshooter.
  5. Let the troubleshooter do its work and see if the issue would get resolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users