Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard (and mouse?) Issue: Not sure if Keyboard or Deeper Computer Issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DrSatanDracula

DrSatanDracula

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:41 AM

Computer:

Windows 7 Home Premium
6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
HP H8-1242 PC.
Intel Core i-7 2600 @ 3.40 GHz
12 gigs ram.

Okay, so I am typing this in the window where my keyboard will start working again for some reason. I am concerned there is something deeply wrong with my computer, but cannot be sure what is actually wrong. I would appreciate any help you foliks could render me.

Let me explain the problem.

While playing Age of Empires II: HD edition about 30 minutes ago, I experienced a sudden garbling of input on my keyboard. When I pressed my hotkeys in game, my computer was making the Windows like 'ding' (the ding that happens when you are pressing a button that is ineffectual), followed by an inability to press enter to bring up the chat, or input most text. When I opened up steam messenger (I was playing in Windows mode) and I was typing, I was finding that most of my buttons were not causing any input, and several of them were closing down or moving the window. I then opened up notepad and found that when I pressed multiple buttons, it was causing the file screen (on notepad) to be highlighted, or notepad to minimize. In other words: The keyboard was responding to commands (num lock was also going on and off just fine), but it was garbled and doing things that it shouldn't, like highlighting the file menu. 

I restarted my computer. No resolution. The problem was as bad on startup.

I tried attaching my keyboard to my PS3 to test if it works. It works just fine: I was able to browse on the PS3's internet browser just fine. 

I turned off my computer and turned it back on. 

I reattached my keyboard to a new USB port and found no change.

Then, all of a sudden, it starts typing. Woohoo! I then test the keyboard by placing it into the older USB port, it stops working for 5 minutes, then starts working again.

Then I think: Huh, maybe my mouse is screwing up somehow? So I unplug the mouse and put it in the front USB, only to find it wasn't working initially. Soon thereafter, however, it starts working again. Then I plug it in the old USB port, and it works just fine again. No problem at all. 

Right now, my keyboard and mouse are both working, but I have no idea for how long, or whether there is a deeper problem involved in my computer. I am concerned that this might be a motherboard input issue or something of the sort, but I have no idea how I could test this hypothesis. Sadly, I do not have any spare keyboards, but I do have a spare mouse to try this on. I am considering purchasing a new keyboard in the morning, but I have no idea if that will prove efficacious. 

Basically: It seems that for some period of time, my keyboard was inputting garbled commands. It was almost like when you accidentally open up a right click menu and don't realize it, so your keyboard commands are working on the right menu rather than on your intended text space. I confirmed that wasn't the case.

I am honestly confounded by this problem that seems to sponteneously resolve itself. It's screwing my attempts to resolve this through an inductive method. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I just restarted my computer and replaced my keyboard and mouse back to the USBs in the back of the computer where they initially were located. For five minutes: so far, so good. Then I had a brief hanging episode, ctrl alt deleted to bring up task manager, and then briefly my keyboard started screwing up again. The problem occurred for 20 seconds and then resolved. 

I am profoundly confused as to what could be causing these issues. They seem entirely at random. 

Edited by DrSatanDracula, 23 July 2017 - 12:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ajay1998A

ajay1998A

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:57 AM

try using keyboard tester once : http://www.keyboardtester.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users