Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand New Laptop, Infinite Reboot Loop on Setup

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 GreenKaiser

GreenKaiser

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:01 AM

Hey guys,

I'm hoping that this is the right forum to go to. I purchased a brand new gaming laptop today. When I got it home, I tried to turn it on and begin the setup process for Windows 10. This was a pre-loaded Windows 10, just not set up yet. Also no physical copy of the OS. At first, I got passed the first few questions asked. Language, time zones, customized settings... Then suddenly the screen went black and would not load anything for quite a long period of time. I eventually gave up waiting, and rebooted the computer. Now I can only get to the point of choosing my customized settings after the timezone. At which point, I select 'Next', and get a message to wait, before it reboots to the Asus screen and forces me to repeat the process. I have tried a few fixes that I have read about online, but they all appear to be for people just upgrading their OS, or for people with physical OS copies, or people who had the OS working fine before, but then powered off the device. None seem to be for a fresh laptop with no prior setup. I also tried both with and without an internet connection...

I have tried leaving a message with the retailer that sold me the product, asking if they had advice, or if they could do a fresh install for me, but I will not be able to actually make my way to the store until a few days from now, due to my schedule. So in the mean time, I would request any sort of advice that people are willing to dispense.

Thank you for taking the time to read and possibly respond to this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:13 AM

How to restore ASUS laptop to factory settings

Posted Image

#3 GreenKaiser

GreenKaiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:35 AM

I appreciate the suggestion, although I did try this option and found that it gave me a message stating that there was a problem resetting the computer. At which point only the option to cancel was given.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:44 AM

You should contact ASUS tech support.

Posted Image

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:52 AM

I would return the thing.  This should not be happening on a machine straight out of the box.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:33 AM

I would return the thing.  This should not be happening on a machine straight out of the box.

+1! :thumbup2:

I'd make time in my schedule to return an expensive notebook that doesn't function as intended.

If you're leaving the immediate area & the notebook was purchased at a large chain store, many will accept returns from other locations. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:52 AM

As a quick side-note to returning the laptop I have one question:

I've never returned anything in my life to the store before; I've just generally been somewhat lucky - When you return an item, such as this laptop, to the shop, do they return all your money, less money or more money as a reparation cost for your worries? Also, do you have to fill in a protocol of some sorts? :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 24 July 2017 - 07:53 AM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,989 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:08 AM

Generally, in the United States, when you make a return you can either opt for a replacement or a refund of the amount paid (including any taxes) on the item in question.

Some things are not returnable and other things have shorter periods of time where they will accept returns (and computers/electronics tend to fall into the latter category).

Anything in the computers/electronics category that does not function precisely as it should when I unbox it is promptly returned to its place of purchase.  It is far easier to return a defective item than it is to get warranty service for same, and that's even if the warranty service is provided without issue, as one generally has to ship the item to get it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#9 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:11 AM

I understand. Does this return policy apply for the people who just open up a product and decide they don't like it even though it functions as intended? Or is the device being malfunctioning a prerequisite to returning it?

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,989 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:30 AM

Return policies are set by individual retailers.  Some will accept returns for virtually any reason (e.g. Wal-Mart and other "big box" stores) while others will not.  Some will not accept returns at all (rare, but they exist).  It's always worth determining a retailer's return policy before purchasing any big-ticket item.  It's a nightmare if you get a malfunctioning one and immediately have to go into warranty repair claims with the manufacturer.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:41 AM

Some stores will charge a restocking fee.

#12 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:43 AM

I see. Thank you for the information. I hope I'd never have to apply it in real life.:)

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:09 AM

I see. Thank you for the information. I hope I'd never have to apply it in real life. :)

I hope not either, yet chances are that if you make frequent purchases online, you'll have to. :)

Example, it wasn't my first & doubt will be the last, had to return my first 4K monitor to Costco (had a long colored streak running down the middle of the screen), although they emailed me a shipping label on their dime & sent another new working one out. That's part of my benefit as a paying member of the warehouse. A couple of months later would return a security camera purchased in store that I assumed to be a webcam with advanced features, a smartphone was required to activate the camera, which I didn't have, even though could be controlled by a computer afterwards. 

Fortunately, prior to opening, downloaded the manual, so the package was never opened. Just had to make a 55 mile round trip to return it. :)

Ended up ordering a 1080p Logitech HP Pro Webcam C920 (from Amazon using the 'Online Retailers' option to save $25), which will fulfill the need, along with a small tripod to easily adjust angle. Needed for motion detection, which Logitech Webcam Software does great. :thumbsup:

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/hd-pro-webcam-c920

Last yet not least, ordered a Cooler Master Vortex Plus for my XPS 8700 for $26, the only low profile 3rd party cooler known that would fit, only to find that the fan, rated for up to 2800 rpm, was running at a mere 908 rpm while the CPU was cooking at 60C. :thumbdown:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ggmeC5cZG7dJzrgzvIcQZfI

Rather than returning the cooler at my expense, purchased a replacement fan in a 92mm Noctua NF-A9 PWM fan (at just $8 less than the entire kit), while Cooler Master makes some good heatsinks, their flimsy fans ruins all, this makes the 3rd & final time of purchasing a CM branded cooling setup & a total of $99 in replacement fans. Not to worry with Noctua, while the RPM is a bit lower, air distribution is better, we get what we pay for. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAADY4B02650

However for the large part, most everything I've ordered online & in store purchases has worked out well, it's just that the more we purchase (of any type of item), the higher the chance of a return or self-repair. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:15 AM

That is true, Cat. I'm not the biggest spender, though, and I tend to somewhat research most relatively big purchases beforehand, which has probably led to my lucky streak. Probably in the future I'll eventually have a mishap, because as of right now I don't think I've personally spent more than $10,000 in my life if even, out of which ~$5,000 are on 1-2 big purchases and out of the rest ~$5,000, ~$3,500 were spent on food and sweets. :lmao: Out of the rest ~$1,500 around $500 I've spent on small ticket items. This leaves us with ~$1000 of larger (over $100) purchases, mainly electronics and such, which would mean that I've probably bought no more than 10-15 'returnable' items in my life, which I was fortunate enough not to turn out to be ill-working and thus needing to be returned. :)

If anything, I've been more frequently dissatisfied with the service market where you can't return the service back.:lmao:

Edited by Just_One_Question, 25 July 2017 - 05:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users