Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Mentally Challenged

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Cane

Cane

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:55 AM

[font=Arial][size=3][b]
This is my first laptop, first pc and I don't know one lick of anything on how to really use it other than getting online and reading e-mail. Laptop is wireless capable, it's an acer aspire 3102WLMi Mobile AMD Sempron processor 3200+ 1.6 GXz, 512kb, ATi radeon expresswhatever the fudge that means and so on and so on.
I bought it on the advice of family who are allegedly pc savvy but they are of no hep. What I need to know is how to hook up to the net wirelessly, what is the right wireless router to get, freak if I know the diff between Netgear/D-Link or Linksys.
Until I figure out what to get, how to use I am stuck with peoplepc dial-up, how to access hot-spots(what do I really need for this?)

[size=5]

HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: :woot:

Cane :bike:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:16 PM

Your ability to connect to the internet is based mainly off your network interface card, if your computer doesn't have the ability to connect wirelessly, you'll probably need one. The type of router doesn't really matter, just make sure it's wireless, if you want a good router remember 802.11b if you want a great router 802.11g if you want a impossibly good router 802.11n, but with great power, comes great hackers wanting to steal your access... hot spots are when your in a starbucks or something, and you can tell your router to access the internet from their server. The only thing you need, is a wireless card, or if your computer already has one, you need to learn how to use it, of course I can't really tell from what info you gave me what kind of internet card you have, so first, go to start>mycomputer>control panel>network connections> and tell me what you see

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:16 PM

Here let me write you up a quick Glossary of Networking Equipement

Wifi: A term often used but basically means Wireless Internet

Hot-Spot: A place where you can get acess to pubic wireless internet (sometimes paid sometimes free). Most comon places are Starbucks, Airports and the such. If you search the net a little you can find sites that list wife hotspots in your area.

Wireless Network Interface Card (NIC): This is the "Antenna" in your computer that captures the wireless signal.

Router: A hardware device used to network multiple computers. A Wireless Router also supports an Access Point. It broadcasts and receives the information from your Wireless Card and connect you to the Internet. To connect the internet to the router you need Broadband internet (This is High Speed Internet) wich is actually getting pretty cheap these days.

When we talk about 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n and others these are the types of routers. The most common and best one out right now is the 802.11g. Gives good speed and a decent price. The 802.11n is new technology, pretty expensive but gives you a lot better range but in a normal sized house (not a mansion like John Travolta's...) you are fine with the 802.11g.

Now you can find a decent router from wal-mart... I would suggest a Wireless G(802.11g) router and you are going to need to get high speed broadband (either DSL or Cable). After you get this equipment you will run an Ethernet cable from your internet connection to the wireless router. Then run another ethernet wire from the router to your laptop. The linksys comes with a nice cd that you pop into your computer and a screen pops up and guides you thru the set-up process. Just follow the instructions and enable the security (WEP). During the setup process you will need to right down your network key for when you go to log onto your netowork. This key is basically a big password... If you have trouble setting up the wifi in your house you can contact linksys, they have a nice online chat system to talk with their technical departement. I have already dealed with them and they give good information and are good with helping beginners.

If you have any more questions juste post them here. We are always happy to help

Klink

Edited by Klinkaroo, 13 September 2006 - 06:23 PM.

#4 Cane

Cane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:39 PM

Your ability to connect to the internet is based mainly off your network interface card, if your computer doesn't have the ability to connect wirelessly, you'll probably need one. The type of router doesn't really matter, just make sure it's wireless, if you want a good router remember 802.11b if you want a great router 802.11g if you want a impossibly good router 802.11n, but with great power, comes great hackers wanting to steal your access... hot spots are when your in a starbucks or something, and you can tell your router to access the internet from their server. The only thing you need, is a wireless card, or if your computer already has one, you need to learn how to use it, of course I can't really tell from what info you gave me what kind of internet card you have, so first, go to start>mycomputer>control panel>network connections> and tell me what you see

#5 Cane

Cane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:01 PM

[b][size=4][font=Arial Black]

wow, thanks for responding. It's my understanding that I don't need a wireless card with this system. One of the stickers on it says 802.11b/g wireless, have no idea what that means.

when I go into the network connections this is what it says;

Dial-up

peoplepc online
connected,firewalled
HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Mode and under this it says this

Lan or High Speed Internet

Wireless Network Connection
Limited or no connectivity, Firewalled
Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network ( I have no freaking idea what this means)

I do know that peoplepc thingy refers to my dial-up connection but that's it. And please don't tell me to refer to the manual, it's all GREEK to me. Be gentle, talk s l o w l y and in a layman terms better yet even simpler terms. :thumbsup:

Thanks

Cane

#6 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:05 PM

Ok well just FYI the Atheros AR5005G is the make and model of your wireless card that is built into your computer. The Wireless 802.11b/g on the sticker means that your wireless card can connect to either wireless 802.11b or 802.11g networks.

#7 Cane

Cane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:18 PM

[b][font=Arial Black][size=3]

um, ok, alrighty then, um but would you mind telling me just how I go about connecting to this wireless 802.11b or 802.11g networks. :thumbsup: and once again, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Cane

#8 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:23 PM

Atheros, nice, anyhow

Wireless Network Connection
Limited or no connectivity, Firewalled
Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network

This connection is the one you want to double click, and you click on something that says "view wireless connections" it should give you a list of all the networks you can connect to... of course technically i shouldn't be suggesting this, but anyhow, if there is no one near you that has wireless, then you need to get a router, everytime your at a "hotspot" just click on the view wireless connections button and it should offer it as a choice. Oh, I suggest you get a nice firewall, something like zone alarm is always nice.

#9 Cane

Cane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:51 PM

:bike: You're a sweetie, Gyro. I've tried that but the wireless connections that pop up on the screen are all security enable and I assume that means if you don't know how to get in there, you AIN'T gonna :flowers:
The funny thing is is that when my room mate's bf is over he can get into those with no problems. Could that be because there's a hotspot in my roomie's room? She's about as "special" as I am when it comes to pc savvy :thumbsup: :spam: :trumpet:
Hope to hear from you again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :inlove:

:woot:

Cane

#10 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:37 PM

Well when they are security enable it basically means that they have set up a network key wich is basically a long password. So if you want to connect to those networks you need the "password"

Is your room mate's bf pretty pc savvy? Because to hack a "Security Enabled" network isn't all that hard if you have the algowrithems but I can't talk about that here because we do not support hacking and other illegal activities.

#11 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:55 PM

But there is nothing wrong with testing your own security to make sure it's secure from hackers ._.

#12 Cane

Cane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:36 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers: [/b] [size=4]

:woot: I don't know if he is pc savvy or not and I have asked my roomie how he does it but she doesn't know either but she and her bf are pretty straight so I doubt very much if he is hacking anything. I'm not trying to "hack" I just want to figure out how to work out this way too technical laptop ( at least for me, :inlove: :trumpet:) and use this fudging wireless built in card. Which reminds me, if I have a wireless card built in, do I still need a wireless router? I mean if I do what's purpose of having it then?

:bike:

Cane

#13 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:39 PM

Well the wireless router is what connects the wireless card to your internet. It's like your computer is a cell phone and the router is the tower that connects you to the rest of the world.

#14 Cane

Cane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:09 PM

[b][size=5]

:inlove: :bike: :spam: Well by GOD, I think we are finally getting somewhere because I understood that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool: :woot: ok, next thing, can you suggest a decent wireless router that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? And if I promise to eat my Lucky Charms, will you magically appear and set it up for me? :flowers: :trumpet: :thumbsup:

:P

Cane

#15 Cane

Cane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:38 PM

[b][font=Book Antiqua][size=3]

Quick question, I have 7.5 MSN Messenger and some really old version that came with the software and it's driving me nuts (the older one) how can I delete this? I know that I can go into the add/remove thingamajig but I was hesitant as I didn't know if this rwould remove the MSN Mess. Is windows messenger completely diff from the msn messengers 7.5 that I downloaded?

:thumbsup:

Cane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users