Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi connected but internet keeps disconnecting about every 15 min

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LunaLuna1

LunaLuna1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:22 PM

Hello, sorry for the long message but I wanted to give as much detail as possible.

Short version: Lenovo laptop with Windows 8.1 says wifi is connected and that there should be an internet connection but every +/- 15 min the internet stops working till I use troubleshooter or turn it off/on again manually. After that or even long before trouble shooter comes to a conclusion, the internet works again. Problem happens at my student house wifi and parents house wifi, both from the same company. My mobile phone can use the same wifi without a problem at all times. My network adapter is: Intel Wireless-N 2230.
Tried all the solutions I could find but to no avail. It still happaned in safe mode (update: found out later there was an issue with my provider around the same time so it might still work properly in safe mode). Last thing I tried was uninstalled Lenovo Energy Management yesterday night and afterwards my internet worked for the entire evening till today, around 9 PM. Now my connection drops again about every 15 min. 

Update: around 10 PM the internet started working again. I did nothing during this time period except continue to use Chrome when it worked and run windows troubleshooter which only said the usual "it's the router" thing. It didn't show it diagnosed or fixed anything. I didn't restart my laptop or opened/closed any other programs either so I don't know what caused the sudden disconnections or fixed them. There was no official reported issue from my provider around that time either.

Longer version:
The windows troubleshooter said Windows can't communicate with the device or the resource (primary DNS server) and in the past 2 days the message changes, now it keeps saying there's a problem with the router but that can't be it, I called our privoder and they checked and told me it's working fine. My parents and brother use the internet without issues, they use Windows 7 and 10.

I tried the solution in this video but it didn't work: youtube.com QcWCmLsORMo
I pulled the router/modem out for 10 seconds but that didn't do anything.
I tried this; https://www.kapilarya.com/your-comp...ource-dns-server-is-not-responding-windows-10 But my command gave me an error when trying the 4th thing so i tried this; http://www.kapilarya.com/windows-so...-required-for-network-connectivity-is-missing
I tried the winsock reset thing and after I restarted my laptop things were a bit better, it only happens about every hour instead of multiple times now buw now it still happens every 15 min)
The ipcondig flush doesn't work, tried multiple times
Open DNS/Google DNS also don't fix it
I've also tried to reset things in the command screen multiple times but that also doesn't seem to work
The drivers are also updated, from both my laptop and from Intel automatic updater and I've tried setting it back as well which doesn't make a difference
I've disabled bluetooth and all other network adapters including the hidden ones except my main one
IPv6 was disabled for a bit but that doesn't solve anything
I've forgotten the network and reconnected with the password
I've tried pinging google and other sites but that's going fine -as long as I'm connected- with no package loss. Sometimes a timeout request but it works after that
I've tried the safe mode and the internet drop still happened (update: just discovered that my provider had internet issues around the same time I tried safe mode so it might actually function properly in safe mode)
Malwarebytes ran a scan and found some stuff which I deleted and restarted the laptop but nothing changed
I've tried turning off my smart or slim firewall from Norton but it still happened. Chrome has full access and I have no other antivirus program
I've unchecked all the boxes in the LAN settings
I've downloaded all the important/priority windows updates
I've tried switching from Chrome to Firefox but internet won't work there if it's not working in Chrome either
I've deleted my cookies/caches from Chrome
The "let the laptop cut this performance off when on low power" or something was never turned on in my laptop settings

I just saw my cursor move a little about 30 minutes ago without me touching the touchpad or the mouse I have plugged in now. Also a website refreshed out of the blue without me doing anything.

Also, idk if it's realted but my touchpad hasn't worked 100% when I tried installing a driver update from the Intel update thing, my laptop kinda froze but the program still worked and asked me to restart. I did and since then it has been feeling kinda "heave" so I had to turn on the sensitivity all the way up otherwise I can barely make it move.

That's all I can think of on the top of my head. Please if someone knows what I should do I'm getting really desperate.

Edited by LunaLuna1, 22 July 2017 - 06:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,626 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:29 PM

You pretty much covered everything possible. If you have not installed the full version in the below link which includes the intel software along with the drivers I would consider using a USB dongle like this one

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26928/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-8-1-?product=66889

Windows 8.1, 64-bit*

Language: Multi language

Size: 93.58 MB

MD5: a07786e34fea3fd7fa937593c1e82536

#3 LunaLuna1

LunaLuna1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:44 PM

You pretty much covered everything possible. If you have not installed the full version in the below link which includes the intel software along with the drivers I would consider using a USB dongle like this one

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26928/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-8-1-?product=66889

Windows 8.1, 64-bit*

Language: Multi language

Size: 93.58 MB

MD5: a07786e34fea3fd7fa937593c1e82536

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it :) I'll try to install that tomorrow then and see if that works. If I may ask, what exactly does a USB dongle do? I know it helps connecting a laptop/computer to the internet but what if there is a program that interfered with my internet connection, won't it also just interfere with the internet received through the USB dongle?

Because I just discoved that there was an internet issue at my provider roughly around the time it disconnected in my Windows safe mode so it might actually work properly in safe mode. 

All I understand from safe mode is that if the internet issue still happens it's hardware & if it works fine then it's a software problem. So would a USB dongle still work then do you think?

I also don't really have a chance to check safe mode now since my internet has been stable again for the past 2.5+ hours and when I checked it yesterday it disconnected every 15 minutes so I had a good way of testing safe mode. 

The strange thing is that I haven't changed anything, no programs opened/closed, no reboot, nothing, since it started acting up at 9 PM and it suddenly started working again arounf 45 mintues later. So I don't know what could be the cause for it to act up or work again now.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,626 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:58 PM

Correct, if there is a program interfering with the adapter then the same thing would happen but I doubt this is the case. I was going to suggest you select Safe Mode with Networking. As you say if the network is stable in Safe Mode then you have some conflict. You can do a clean boot and from there enable a few services and startup items until you can determine what process is causing the problem. If you also get disconnects in Safe Mode it may still be a Windows problem.

Downloading and booting a live linux distro like Mint can help in determining if it's a Windows or hardware problem. If the driver is in the kernel which it should be then Mint will detect your Wifi card and all you would need to do is input your Wifi password. If running linux allows you to connect without intermittent disconnects then there is an issue with Windows.

In order to boot the Mint DVD you will need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings. Some laptops require you to enter a supervisor password before SecureBoot is allowed to be disabled.

If you have a spare USB flash drive then use Rufus with the iso file. Make sure you select iso image in the dropdown box, not freedos if shown.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3289

Another thing to try that sometimes helps. Do a powercycle. Remove the power adapter and battery if easily accessible. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace your battery and adapter.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 July 2017 - 06:00 PM.

#5 LunaLuna1

LunaLuna1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:22 PM

Thank you so much for the new suggestions. It's just so strange it's working fine for almost 3 hours now after it didn't for 45 minutes. I would've thought that if it was a software issue then it would keep disconnecting but it throws me off that it isn't. Isn't it also a problem that my icon isn't detecting a "break" in the internet connection and that when hovering over it there is the name of my network and then "internet connection"? Usually it's supposed to change in "No internet access" or something right? But it -almost- never does that for me.

I have to go to sleep soon but I'll see how the connection holds up tomorrow and if it keeps disconnecting I'll try the Mint thing. To be honest, I don't know what a live distro is, I know Linux is a computer program like Windows but more used by people who knnow a lot about laptops right? And what are my UEFI settings?

I'm not very knowledgeable about laptops so I'm a little confused how to use Mint. I should download the iso image and put it on the USB flash drive? But what do I do with the Rufus program then? I'm sorry for asking so much but I'd rather know for sure what I'm doing  and how to do it correctly when dealing with software/programs I'm not familiar with.

And a final question about the power cycle thing, how is holding down the power button for 30 seconds going to work if the laptop has no way of turning on? Or should that do something internally? And after those 30 seconds it's okay to put the battery back in and plug in the adapter right?

Speaking of the battery, I did have to buy a new one about 3 weeks ago since my last one would take hours to charge completely. I think the battery I have now isn't an offical Lenovo one but I did buy one from a trusted website so I don't assume it's a cheap Chinese counterfeit either. If I remember correctly it has 5200 mAh and my old batter had 5600 mAh I think, could that be related to my wifi issues? It also happens when the laptop is plugged in with the adapter though.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,626 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:48 PM

I would've thought that if it was a software issue then it would keep disconnecting but it throws me off that it isn't. Isn't it also a problem that my icon isn't detecting a "break" in the internet connection and that when hovering over it there is the name of my network and then "internet connection"? Usually it's supposed to change in "No internet access" or something right? But it -almost- never does that for me.

Correct, I would think if you got a disconnect then you would see the problem in the system tray icon.

Powercycling seems to correct some issues like Ethernet not working when the device is still detected but no internet access is shown.  I am not sure what it does other than draining residual power. 

Battery would not be related to your Wifi issues.

When you boot linux the OS runs from the USB and RAM, the HDD is not touched.

Edit: What you do not want to do is click on the install icon located on the Mint desktop.

Download Rufus to the desktop and Run.

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Mint iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 July 2017 - 06:56 PM.

#7 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 774 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:42 PM

I posted today about a very similar issue and will try the suggestions mentioned. Thank you.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users