Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win10 Cannot Boot Recovery Media: Error Code 0xc0000221

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 a_fiendish_thingy

a_fiendish_thingy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:38 PM

Hello all!

Last weekend my computer stopped booting. It is a custom built PC that I built about 18 months ago. Ill include specs at the bottom of the post.

Last weekend it stopped booting, and went straight to a BSoD with the error code 0xc0000221. The listed kernel file that was damaged/missing would be different each time I tried to boot. The screen said that Windows 10 needed to be repaired, and to boot with installation media to do so. I tried using the Win10 USB I bought when I built the machine, and got the exact same result. I have also made a new USB and a DVD using the Microsoft installation media tool and both of those gave me the same result. I have already checked my boot order, so I know that is not the issue.

My first suspicion was that my SSD I use for Windows/other heavy use programs may have gone up, but I just tried disconnecting it from the motherboard and it still will not boot.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you so much!

Specs:

MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 Motherboard

Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz

EVGA GeForce GTX 970

4x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD

WD Blue 3TB HDD

EVGA SuperNOVA 750W Power Supply

LG Blu-Ray Burner

Samsung DVD Burner

Cooler Master Cosmos SE Case

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Fan

Microsoft Windows 10 Home

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:50 AM

Please describe the boot sequence of this system.
FYI - systems can boot from any drive in the system before transferring control to Windows

As such, you must consider any drive that was installed when you installed Windows

For example, when installing Windows 7 on a new SATA drive, Windows decided to boot from the older IDE drive before transferring control to Windows on the faster drive.

I only found this out because the boot times were too slow for the new SATA drive.

So, the first test here (IMO) would be to try to install Windows on another drive (after disconnecting both the SSD and HDD that are currently in the system)

Disconnect BOTH cables from the current drives.

Unfortunately, there are no reliable diagnostic tests for SSD's - so the only reliable "test" is to try another drive.

As you can check your boot order, I presume that the motherboard is functioning normally

As booting from recovery media gets the same error, then I presume that there's a hardware error preventing the system from loading the OS into memory

You can also try running MemTest86 (NOT 86+) from bootable media:  http://www.memtest86.com/

That'll test the memory for you.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Deejay100six

Deejay100six

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:14 AM

@ John, this user is also being helped here >> http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/win10-cannot-boot-recovery-media-error-code-0xc0000221-1203145.html

Regards, Dave

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:32 AM

Thanks Deejay100six!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users