Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC problems possibly due to interrupted WIN10 update

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jammalg

jammalg

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:56 AM

2017-07-22

Multiple things are going wrong with my PC and I need help.

Everything started around 7/14 when my keyboard and mouse appeared to not be working. The screen was frozen and I was was unable to even get the power button to work - to break into the process that was causing everything to freeze. I finally had to pull the plug.

When the PC started it automatically logged into my son's account and then the whole thing started over. After pulling the plug 4 times - I was able to put a password on my son's account and the auto login stopped – however, I was getting all sorts of errors which were finally topped off by a BSD - Machine Error.

Using F11, I booted to a command-line where I did a chkdsk /f C: and sfc /scannow - both of which failed with errors.

I cannot revert to previous system versions and cannot even do a reset - all due to errors.

At this time my PC is still not working properly – for example one of my drives starts but after 5 or 10 minutes just disappears from my PC. Dropbox, which was on that drive, was moved from it's location on the disk and now I get a Dropbox Folder missing error.  After a while, the PC just freezes.

-------------------------------------------------------

I now believe all of this was due to a WIN10 update that started when no one was at the PC. Something occurred, the PC froze and here I am today.

I am hoping someone can help.

Jammalg

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/GrgAGeKStLe2bbSrDHD8xAE

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:34 PM

To repair file corruption found in the sfc /scannow please do the following.

Press the windows key and the X key to open the Windows Mobility Center menu.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Restart the computer to complete the repair.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jammalg

jammalg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:14 PM

I'm on a Desktop - no Win Mobility Center. I used WIN Powershell as Admin instead and it says, "the restore operation completed successfully"  I'll now restart and will get back to you sometime tomorrow to let you know how it worked. Thanks for the DISM command - never heard of it before.

JAMMALG

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,678 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:27 PM

Just FYI, WinKey+X brings up a menu that will have either Command Prompt/Command Prompt (Admin) or PowerShell/PowerShell (Admin) options no matter what machine you're on.

Microsoft is deprecating Command Prompt and while it still exists I believe that unless you specify to keep Command Prompt in Windows system menus it will be replaced by PowerShell with the update to Version 1703 of Windows 10.  I allowed mine to switch over because I knew about the command aliasing and because I need to start teaching myself PowerShell syntax.

Any Command Prompt command that I'm aware of has been aliased in PowerShell so anything shown for Command Prompt can be entered in precisely the same way in PowerShell and have the same effect.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 jammalg

jammalg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:01 AM

I ran dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth as requested/suggested and things looked fine until last night - Monday night when we had a storm and our power went out.  Then the PC restarted, went thru the MOBO screen - i.e., ASUS hit F2 etc and while loading windows went right to a blue screen and just stayed there.

I hit the reset button and while it restarted kept hitting F11 - went thru the prompts and finally got to the command line where I ran sfc /scannow which couldn;t fix anything BUT at least got the PC to where I could use it.

So right now I feel like I'm working on a PC that has problems and will fail again. It is 6:57 AM, I just woke up and have the screen details, what the actual error messages were, on my iPod.  I'll follow up with these details in a bit to help figure out what is going wrong.

I'll be back very soon,

jammalg

#6 jammalg

jammalg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:48 AM

re: BSOD - I was to look at http://windows.com/stopcode for "possible" information.  The Stop Code is MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION

re: sfc /scannow - it said the verification was 100% complete and the "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the required operation."

and that is where I am left.  Any help will be very much appreciated.

jammalg

#7 jammalg

jammalg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:08 AM

7/27/2017

Just logged in to my PC - 1st time today. After about 2 minutes I got a BSOD - this time the stop code was UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION.

Any help will will be very much appreciated.

jammalg

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:23 AM

Please do the following to Reset Window 10.

A Windows 10 Reset will reinstall the operating system.  You have the option to keep your personal files or remove them.  Any third party programs that you installed will be uninstalled during this process.

1. Open the Start Menu and click/tap of Settings.

When Settings opens select Update & Security

2. Click/tap on Recovery, then Get Started.

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 jammalg

jammalg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:59 PM

Hi DC3,

Thank you for your reply. 

I just got back from being out of town - which is why I didn't reply earlier - and will do what you suggest right now, Sunday 7/30 @ 2:58 PM

jammalg

#10 jammalg

jammalg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:47 PM

on 7/30 I reset my PC - which was a real pain because I had so much to restore - in terms of software.  However, I only restored a few things because I didn't have the time - but I did let the PC run all week which seemed to be going fine until I came home today and found a blue screen of death. 

The BSOD code was MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION.

It took about 5 tries before I was able to get F11 to work and then run sfc /scannow - which failed.  However, I was able to then login to my PC and get this information to you.

any ideas?

jammalg

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:05 PM

When you look at the BSOD you should see something similar to what is posted below.

***STOP:  0x00000ed (0x-------, 0x------, 0x------)

This is the information we need.

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:32 AM

Hi, jammalg, :)

Please run the Sysnative reporting tool, so I can inspect the latest dump files.

Thank you.

Regards,

bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#13 jammalg

jammalg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:50 PM

Bleepin' Owl,

At this time my PC now stops at the motherboard screen. it says "Port 1: ST3000DM001-1CH166  SMART STATUS BAD, Backup and REPLACE  Press F1 to run setup"

If I press F1 it goes into the MOBO and at that point I have no idea what to do.

I'll try getting in to the PC via the F11 method I've written about above - and will then run Sysnative and post it.  I should have this done either later today or tomorrow, 8/14.

jammalg

#14 jammalg

jammalg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:19 PM

I attached the file but don't see it - will try again

Edited by jammalg, 13 August 2017 - 05:21 PM.

#15 jammalg

jammalg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:22 PM

Here is the sysnative output

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users