Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When did this verison of Windows 10 come out?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:15 AM

Hey, kinda of a silly question, but when did version 1607 (14393.1480) come out approximately and is it considered the latest major update to Windows 10? I'm in a bit of a loss when it comes to problems relating to the updates on Windows 10, so I decided to tap into your knowledge. Basically, I'm trying to figure out whether this computer is running on a relatively current (2017) version of Windows 10 or whether it's some ancient release from a while back (Checking for updates is turned off deliberately on this PC).

Thank you! :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 22 July 2017 - 10:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:20 AM

Hi,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history

the latest is 1703 named Creators Update

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:23 AM

Thanks! Strange, I didn't expect it to have a Wikipedia article, so I didn't check there.

All is clear now. Thank you again.:thumbup2:

Edited by Just_One_Question, 22 July 2017 - 10:23 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:37 AM

If you have any question regarding which version you are currently running you can do the following to determine which version you are using.

Press the Windows key and the R key at the same time to open the Run box. Copy and paste or type in winver, then press Enter.  This will show the version of Windows 10 you have running.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:45 AM

Nice trick, thank you! I was looking more so and found out with the help of SleepyDude whether the version I am using is up to date in the grand scheme of Windows 10 updates, as I wasn't oriented in which version comes after which.:)

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:49 AM

Also, just for reference, all of the Windows 10 main version numbers, e.g, 1511, 1607, and 1703, are the YYMM of their release (or close to it, some were delayed a couple of weeks)

This article on blog.juriba.com does the best job I've ever seen of describing the Windows 10 branching timeline both for the versions already out (and 1507 - the original release, is already out of support) and the next two upcoming ones.  This graphic they use:

Windows10BranchingTimeline7July2017.png?

is the best visual representation of the continuous roll out model of the ongoing versions of Windows 10 I've ever seen.   While Windows 10 "current version," whatever that version happens to be as time goes by, is supported until the end of life dates Microsoft has published for Windows 10, any version that has been superseded is not, and those versions are generally supported for approximately 18 months from date of release.   Since everyone is expected to be continuously updating to the latest version this is exactly what should be expected.

There is, however, already one exception to that rule with the recent announcement regarding Atom Cloverleaf (I think it's Cloverleaf, it may be Clover something else) processors.  Unless Intel releases some tweaks these will not be able to use any version of Windows 10 beyond Version 1607 (Anniversary Update).  Microsoft has already announced that they will continue to provide security updates on Version 1607 for those with these processors through the end of support date for Windows 8.1 in January 2023, since all of these machines running Windows 10 would have been part of the free upgrade process.  I fully expect to see this sort of thing occur again for relatively recent processors that had relatively short production lifespans that came out during the Windows 8/8.1 era.  We shall see.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:57 AM

Thank you for the extra information. Well, I don't really expect this medium-market laptop's internals to be supported forever, so it's not that big of a deal. I guess, when it becomes obsolete, it will either be sold (and a new device purchased) or will switch to Linux, but until then there is still time.:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users