Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 USB keyboard not working - driver related

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Moldiest

Moldiest

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:06 AM

I installed SCP drivers a few days ago to get my PS3 controller to work for games on my pc. I messed up the installation and ended up installing their drivers on all ports. It got the controller to work but unfortunately now my keyboard won't work.
So far I've uninstalled all traces of their drivers(as best as I can tell, using the scp toolkit clean wipe utility.)

I tried uninstalling all USB items in device manager, and this works for a short time after the windows starts up. But after a few minutes, windows will start to install / updatethe drivers and the keyboard stops working again.

The keyboard works in bios, I tried two different keyboards and they both work in bios but not with windows running. The one keyboard is a Logitech k200 that has separate media controls that still work even when the keys don't work.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,429 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:48 AM

Hopefully you can do this when the keyboard is up. Possibly in Safe Mode. Download Device Cleanup Cmd. Unzip the file to a desktop. In that file is an X64 supfolder. Copy it to the Root of C:\.

Open an elevated command prompt. CMD in the Search box, right click > Run As Administrator

Type

cd c:\x64  <enter>
devicecleanupcmd.exe  <enter>

This will delete all non-present devices. Reboot the computer and hopefully the drivers will not try to reinstall. If that does not work is there a restore point date before your changes?

There is also a graphical version if you are not comfortable using the command line.

#3 Moldiest

Moldiest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:38 PM

Hi.
Thanks for your reply.

I tried that and it seemed to work at first, but then shortly after booting windows it updated the drivers again and the keyboard stopped working.
Unfortunately my earliest restore point is when it was installed.

Before the drivers would update, under USB keyboard properties there was only 1 device function and the driver details listed "system32/kbd***". After it does the update I have several device functions, some with no associsted drivers and some with drivers: usbccgp.sys , hidclass, hidparse, hidusb.

#4 Moldiest

Moldiest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:58 PM

Did some searching around the troubled pc.
Keyboard INF files were missing. Copied them from a different PC and put them onto the troubled pc. Cleaned drivers again and everything is back to working!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,429 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

Nice Troubleshooting! Thanks for the update and glad you got is sorted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users